“The moons of Jupiter” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Other
edinburgh
“The moons of Jupiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

I was taken here as a surprise birthday party with a new telescope.
Within 2 hours we had been shown exactly how to use it and given lots of practical tips.

We then went outside with it and were shown some parts of the sky with it. The first thing we saw was Jupiter and its moons!

We also had a guide to the sky and later used the main telescope there to look at other things. We saw nebulae, a dying sun, meteors passing by and even some space debris burning up as it re-entered the atmosphere.

The night was cold (Scotland in January) but cloudless and we could have stayed up as long as we wanted to observe. Eventually the cold drove us in.

The accommodation was basic but acceptable and clean, the food provided was of excellent homely standard and the couple (Ian and Helen) friendly and welcoming. Ian's enthusiasm is contagious!

Beverley, United Kingdom
“What happened?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

As a B&B this establishment really has slid way down my list of places that I would choose to stay - in fact I won't be again.

The owners really have let their standards slip a looooooong way.

The house both externally and internally have both not seen any real attention applied to them in the year or so since I was last there, so giving an impression that you are staying in a location that 'could be a lot cleaner' making you feel a lot more comfortable.

The main double bedroom, the curtains had mildew, were not even hung properly, do not fit the windows even and are so thin, as soon as it is light - the room is filled with daylight.

There is not even a TV on the premises allowing you to occupy yourself should the weather be off - instead you have to sit in the communal living room area and make 'small talk' with the owners...

..that is ok for a short while but if you have booked for a week or so?

The house itself was sooooooo cold! Sure there is central heating, but the owners walk around wearing jumpers etc., items you do not think of taking with you when staying away usually, and you have to ask for the heating to be put on - and begrudgingly it is - but only for an hour or so.

Seeing foodstuffs from Netto & Lidl being served to you and you being charged as if they came from Waitrose etc., really is not good business acumen.

Some of the evening meals we had prepared for us were small in portion size and lacking in culinary skills.

Basically - the owners have not maintained their high standards I encountered with my first stay there - sad really because as people themselves, they have charming and warm persona's!

On the astronomy side of things - the equipment here is second to none - shame the accommodation is not the same :-(

scotastro, Owner at Galloway Astronomy Centre, responded to this review, March 26, 2010
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but there are aspects of this review that require an owners comment

I would disagree that our standards have slipped since we are consistently awarded a percentage grading by VisitScotland equivalent to 3 Stars, the last assessment was in Dec 2009. The curtains have been there for a few years and were probable there during this persons first visit, yet they were acceptable then.

We do have a TV in the communal lounge for use by guests and a portable TV should a guest want to watch in their room. However, the vast majority of our guests stay at the Centre to learn astronomy and are usually glad of the opportunity to talk to someone with the knowledge to answer the basic questions they say they feel too embarrassed to ask at their astronomy club. We also provide talks (free of charge) in the evening should it be cloudy. Alternatively a guest can read from our wide range of astronomy books and magazines.

The centrally heating is often turned up to a far higher level than Helen and I would normally have it to suit guests. We check on guest comfort often, but if they do not let us know they are cold how are we supposed to know? I am not sure how to answer the comment on not an bringing a jumper since all our astronomy observing is done outside – even in the summer it is cold at night.

If I say that there is not a Netto in the whole of Dumfries and Galloway (check the Netto website) need I say more. Our guest are more likely to complain we feed them too much not too little. Is £10 for 2 course dinner a high price to pay for good home cooking?

It is very ironic that this review was posted only a few days before Jeremy Lazell of the Sunday Times stayed at the Centre in the same room as the reviewer and subsequently published an extremely complimentary review of us in their Travel Section.

I am sorry this guest did not enjoy his/her second visit as much as the first. It is a shame that they did not voice their comments directly to us at the time so we could address them.