“Great for Business Meetings or Hosting Functions” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Equatorial Penang

You added Hotel Equatorial Penang to your Saves list
Hotel Equatorial Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Jalan Bukit Jambul, Bayan Lepas, Penang Island 11900, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
WEEKEND STAYCATION
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Bayan Lepas
Kuala Lumpur
“Great for Business Meetings or Hosting Functions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Very near to Airport. Great for business meetings or hosting any sort of private functions. rooms condition i would rate 7.9/10 . Thumbs up for most of the hotel staff, from bell boy to front desk, maintenance, banquet, all serve with passion and a big smile. I stayed at the Executive Suite Wing, which gotta walk a little to reach the lift lobby.

Room Tip: facing golf course
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was there on a business trip, a 4-day workshop, and apart from staying there, we also had all our meals throughout our stay at the hotel's coffee house.

The buffet spread for beakfast, lunch & dinner were all great & of such wide variety.

The room was a bit of a walk from the lobby, coffee house & our workshop room, but enroute the room was a big glass window with a gorgeous view. The room itself was comfortable with its own balcony. Although the room (or uhe hotel on the whole) was in no way shabby, but to stay true to their 5 star billing, perhaps a makeover would be good.

A nice feature of the hotel that I enjoyed was the garden, complete with suspension bridge & a little stream. It was a realy lovely place to retreat to for a walk. The pool looked great too.

Location wise, it is quite a long way from town. I see the hotel more as a business hotel, rather than a place to spend your holiday.

• Stayed January 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Surrounding Area of the Hotel and the Routes
- The environment is good. very green. and spacious
- The way up to the hotel is very jam. There are a lot of traffic lights there.
- View from the hotel room is marvelous.

Customer Service
- The concierge is not helpful. when my car reach the hotel entrance no ppl take the initiative to take my bags.
- Front desk personnel does not know how to smile. Is like i owe her money.
- The card that issued to me unable to use when i want to park my car. So i go back to the front desk to check on it. She did saw me took a lot of bags but nvr offer any help. I need to ask her for it.
- The next day, breakfast staff there only know chatting. They chat with their colleagues while guests is having breakfast.

Hotel Facilities
- A very big swimming pool but the Jacuzzi is not working.
- Internet need to be paid. 1hr Rm 25, 25hrs Rm50. But i does not feel tat we need to pay for that. As in other hotel they all are free.
- The lift is very old. Is like going back to 80s or the 90s.
- I had Executive room but it is far from the lobby and swimming pool.

Room
- Room is good. But really need renovation. As they are still very old.Those control are in the side table.
- Aircond is cold. Nice
- Pillow are very nice bed is soft. There are 2 type of pillow u can choose.
- Room is very spacious.
- There is a bathtub and a standing shower for you to use.
- Balcony is there also.

Breakfast
- very nice
- a lot of choices for us to choose. Coffee lovers might like it coz they have a coffee machine.
- Egg station had a lot of varieties to choose.

Room Tip: Get a premier room, they are newly renovated. Remember to ask for internet b4 u use it. The PIN they...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Try the new wing hotel instead. Rooms viewing is really good and air is refreshing, since it is situated on top of Bukit Jambul HIll!
Something need to be praise, is that I left my shirt in the cubboard when I check out. I call them and they help me kept it for one week until my next visit to Penang.
Really nice of them.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed here for two weeks. The restaurants were great. Very pleasant atmosphere. Nice pool, lovely rainforest gardens and Koi pond. Friendly staff at the "Blue Moon" bar.

Choice of restaurants, Japanese, Chinese, High end and Bistro.

Tip: use the travel desk for hiring a taxi or driver - you can't just walk out the front and find your own.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
asia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed in Equatorial for 2 nights in July. I was told that it was running full and I could only be given a Premier Room. Check-in was quite standard. I arrived at 12noon but they had no room available until 2pm, I had no complaint on this because 2pm check-in time is common.

Check-in staff at front desk, concierge and the rest of the service staff were mostly professional and polite. When I asked for additional amenities for my room, they were promptly delivered to my door step with a smile.

The Premier Room I had was good. It had view to the golf course and the swimming pool. I think the room was newly renovated and the furnishings and carpet looked new and clean. I liked the comfortable bed, and the rain shower in the standard-size bathroom. There was a big glass top working desk, and there was internet connection, which was really good. The only thing I didn't like was the way the balcony was designed. If someone next door in the room on my left were to stand at the corner of his balcony, he could look into my room. Same goes for me, I could also look inside my next door room on the right. So being a female traveller, I had to draw my curtains most of the time.

It seemed that renovations were ongoing in another block, but I did not really notice any noise or dust, maybe because I was out most of the day.

The swimming pool was big but was not clean. I swam on the first day I was there after a tiring day out but was disappointed with the green algae I saw on the wall tile and floor tile of the pool. There were a couple of non-functioning jacuzzi pools tucked away under some rock formations, and looked quite deserted. I did not go back to swim again.

Breakfast was a good spread, no doubt this is what I expected for a five star hotel. However, I had a quite a few runs to the toilet after breakfast, I am not sure if it was caused by the breakfast, but this had certainly made me skip their breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed over for a business engagement. I was allocated to the newly renovated wing and stayed on the 1st level (013x). As I checked in late at night (around 9+pm), I have not had the opportunity to check the rest of the hotel except for the room.'

The good:
- love room as it was spacious and nicely layout
- love the large LCD TV
- front desk staff was friendly when I checked in and took note on my earlier email request for non-smoking room
- staff was friendly and helpful when I called to seek help on the internet access
- internet access was fast and stable
- the mattress and beddings were great and clean

Suggestion for improvement:
- Down feather pillow might be someone's preference, but I can't really handle it, not sure if there are other options available
- might want to consider re-enforcing the sound proofing for the low floor rooms as the sound of the waterfall/stream, music from the hall way, pool, pub seems to be on the loud side hence I wasn't able to sleep well throughout the night
- the lighting in the room is a bit too dark even with all all the lights switch on as this make it hard for reading, might want to consider using white light at the study table instead of using warm white.
- there were no shower curtain for the bath tub and the floor gets wet easily
- might want to consider repositioning the door of the shower store to swing the other way, as currently you can't put a floor towel in front of the door because it will be "swept away" when you open the door of the shower store, you'll have to walk on the cold floor with your wet feet before you can reach the towel
- the hose at the toilet store don't really work well for right handed people, probably I'll speak for myself.

Would be great if the hotel can consider the above suggestions for improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated wing. If you are a light sleeper, avoid low floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Equatorial Penang? Share your experiences!