“Overall Winner - 2014 Platinum Dog Collar!” 5 of 5 stars

The Boar's Head
Ripley Castle Estate, Ripley HG3 3AY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ripley
North Yorkshire
“Overall Winner - 2014 Platinum Dog Collar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Having completed an all too short stay with my Humans, I am delighted to confirm this prestigious Award for Steve and his Team. Once again, the friendly welcome, excellent service,and quality 'feel' of the whole place shone through, from arrival to departure.

My grandma was on her first visit and we were welcomed and looked after superbly, nothing was too much trouble and we had a great day here whilst Mum and Dad visited Great Yorkshire Show.

This is my third visit here, I have been travelling since being a young pup and have visited a number of establishments with my Humans, The Boars Head never fails to impress me, the location is perfect with lots of interesting walks around and about and comfy rooms to return to for a tired pup to recharge her batteries.

I would like to make a special mention of the food, My Mum ordered a ' Steak Frite's from the the French inspired Menu ( lovely touch, that!), she said it was the best Steak she had eaten in a long time, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented by our lovely waiter John. I must say, I had to agree with her when I sampled the portion she saved for me!

A fabulous time was had by all and we will be back soon! Xx

Room Tip: We had Gardeners 2- Double Room,with Shower, ideally located on ground floor looking out over garden...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
To The Platinum Dog...It was a lovely to see you again recently and extra special that you should be travelling with an extra human this time. It was nice to meet your Grandma for the first time as well as being able to catch up with your Mum and Dad again.
We do feel very privileged that we are in receipt of the award and we are so pleased to read all of the great things you enjoy doing when you visit us.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and we wish that all of the humans were as nice as you are!!!
Kindest K9 wishes and an extra Bonio from Steve & The Team:)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Malton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

With friends visiting the area for the Tour de France we wanted somewhere convenient to meet for lunch. Having eaten here two or three times before we immediately thought of The Boar's Head.
We met in the Bar/Bistro and were immediately greeted by the staff and a suitable table arranged. We were given time to study the menu whilst we enjoyed our drinks. We each had a varied selection from the menu, and we were all pleased with the quality and presentation of the meals chosen. Following our meal we were allowed to continue drinking at the table with no pressure to leave. We all agreed lunch was a very enjoyable experience.
When I arranged for the meet up at The Boar's Head I suggested to my wife that it would be a nice idea to stay over for the night. Despite the aforementioned cycle race and the Great Yorkshire Show we were able to book into what was described as a Small Standard Room. Booking via their web site, email, and telephone was quick and easy, and our booking was confirmed by the General Manager, Steve Chesnutt - a nice touch.
Check in was carried out efficiently and we were then shown the main areas of the hotel, before being shown up to our room - Busby. For a small room we found it to be quite spacious, especially as it contained a large double bed. They had sensibly kept the furniture down to essential requirements (dressing table, bed side tables, and armchair). The room was very clean and pleasantly decorated. The bathroom was spotless and contained everything required for our stay.
We relaxed in the lounge before returning to the Bistro for our evening meal. A very good atmosphere in the place and once again the food was first class and the staff helpful.
Breakfast offered a good choice of either continental or the Full Yorkshire Breakfast - both very enjoyable.
On checking out we were dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner at reception.
We will not hesitate to return again or to recommend the hotel to friends.
Well done Steve and your team

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I remember your stay well. It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you here recently.
I am delighted to read that you had such a great stay and we are especially happy to hear that you are looking forward to a return visit.
Kindest regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed one night, on the Monday after the tour de france, the hotel had experienced a hectic and enjoyable weekend according to the staff that I spoke to. Evenso our room, the chineese room was clean and comfortable, well stocked with towels, chocolates, biscuits and the largest comfoftable bed that Ive ever seen in an hotel!! The evening meal was excellent, even though the staff were under a lot of pressure from people who had not booked, NOTE,! please book your table! The next day we enjoyed a complimentry tour of Ripley Castle garden and grounds, well worth the visit as we saw a Kingfisher, heron and numerous carp and squirrel. Oh by the way try the
Aspinals cider, its excellent, only a half though, be warned!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a pleasure to have you here.
It sounds as if it won't be too long before we welcome you back again and you can enjoy another Aspalls cider again.
Kind regards
Scarborough
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I'm adding this review some weeks after a disappointing night's stay. Whilst the reception staff were friendly enough on arrival, the overall experience was one of a tired establishment in need of a complete makeover, not to mention deep clean. Our upstairs room was poorly cleaned although the bathroom wasn't too bad, however, the large upholstered headboard was disgusting and really needed to be either deep cleaned or better still, binned. The restaurant was the real disappointment though. I celebrated a birthday there some years ago and it had a fantastic atmosphere with proper linen and comfortable chairs. This has been replaced by an area that would not be out of place as a staff canteen. The bar, which also used to have a great atmosphere (I should mention here that we lived in the Harrogate area for decades) was dirty and the bar uncleared and sticky. Breakfast was ok but again served in the canteen, sorry, restaurant. On departing we mentioned our disgust, in particular, at the state of the headboard in our bedroom, it was met with a corporate rictus smile and we departed, poorer (at their prices) but wiser...

Room Tip: Only go if heavily discounted
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
I am sorry to read that you did not have a pleasant stay with us.
We do our very best to ensure that each and every guest has an enjoyable stay and the changes that we have made to the Dining room that you remember from over three years ago have been met with very positive feedback by the overwhelming majority. We are currently working through a programme of refurbishment and I am sorry that your headboard had not been upgraded already. I will make sure that this is given some urgent attention. The levels of general cleanliness often generate very positive comments and I know that everyone here is encouraged to keep all areas clear and clean as regularly as we possibly can. I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back in the hope of a more positive experience.
Regards
Steve & The Team
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Dear General Manager,
This is wonderful Inn in a great location and I agree it is dog friendly, which I commend, and is indeed a hidden gem. So why, can I ask the management, do you serve a baguette in a strangely inconvenient square basket? A delicious baguette may have been excusable but the quality was mediocre at best and the price ridiculous. It was tasteless and dry with a lot of bread and little filling of poor quality. May I suggest you revert to round plates and make proper 'English' sandwiches with good quality bread. And please call frites chips, we are in Yorkshire, and take an objective look at the menu as a whole, it is unattractive and expensive for lunch which was why we ordered the aforementioned offending baguette. I am happy to pay over the odds for top quality, sadly you don't get even close.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I am delighted to read that you think we are in a great location .What you seemed top have missed however, is that we are currently serving a French themed menu over The Tour de France period. This is explained on the menu and the French titles on the menu with an English translation have been received very well. The comments that we have been given have been fantastic and that has also included the quality of the ingredients. We most certainly are not using poor quality ingredients and nor do I think we are charging over the odds , as you suggested. I would be delighted to serve you an English sandwich on a round plate any time you are visiting, just say the word and we will do it in our best Yorkshire style.
Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed in the hotel with our border terrier. Everything was super, even the weather. Room we had was in the courtyard so we had our own front door which was excellent for last minute walk with our dog without disturbing anyone. Dog bed, bowl, treat provided for dog. Lovely touches to for us humans, lovely chocolate sweet on pillow. lovely toiletries in a lovely room. Could go on for ever. Food and staff excelent made us so welcome. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the review.
We are pleased to read that you had such a great experience. We do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Regards
Wetherby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Have the owners or management ever looked at the furniture in the lounges. Sofas and chairs are filthy and, along with the occasional tables etc, look as if they have been retrieved from the council tip.

Honestly guys, GET A GRIP!!!!!

Additionally they are arranged in a totally haphazard way with neither rhyme nor reason.

The final nail in the coffin is Britain's most miserable barman.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
I am sorry to read that you didn't have a positive word to say about us.
I think your comments go against the vast majority of the feedback we receive on this forum and we will continue to strive to improve on what we do.
Steve & The Team.

Been to The Boar's Head? Share your experiences!