“wild duck” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“wild duck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

the food is excellent but the time it takes to serve could be anoying for some people. It is worth waiting for and you may need to book a table to make sure of a meal.

Visited September 2013

Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Not wild about this duck”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I want so much to be able to praise a local establishment which employs charming young people. I want to praise the way we were greeted - but it took us nearly twenty minutes to be acknowledged and taken to our table: for goodness' sake, why can't they have a designated receptionist who doesn't have to bother serving drinks? I want to praise the wine, but they only had a ready-opened bottle of the wine we wanted - and offered at a discount (!) of £8 above the full price - and then reduced it to only £4 below the full price. I want to praise the food, but chicken with coriander came with rocket, not coriander, and where, come to think of it, was the sweet onion? My main course's honey-glazed vegetables came with under-steamed green beans. The waiting staff to whom we complained apologised, but did nothing: if I'd seen a glint in a customer's eye like the one in mine I'd have had the sense to fetch the manager to grovel and offer a drink on the house. We even told the girl taking our payment we'd not be back, and still there was no response except a delightful smile.

Such a shame: I hate being cross on my wedding anniversary treat. Next time I'll cook myself: at least I know I'll get the ingredients right. Believe me, I submit this review more in sorrow than in anger.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ewen, United Kingdom
“Slippery Slope.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Unfortunately I cannot remain silent any longer. I have been frequenting the dining room at the Wild Duck on a reasonably regular basis over the past couple of years, and each time I have gone away disappointed with some aspect of the experience, returning only because of convenience. Sadly this cannot continue!
On my most recent visit, after ordering a rib-eye steak for £23.95, I was presented with a lone steak with sauce on the plate and a small side of chips. No garnish, greens, leaves or anything. Though the steak was reasonably pleasant to eat it has to rate as one of the most bland meal presentations I have ever received. I requested a side of mixed salad (not offered on the menu) for which I was charged an additional £3.00.
It is my understanding that there have been some changes in management recently and this has probably endeared me to return hoping that changes in service deliverance are afoot. Sadly not to date, and if anything, the Wild Duck is on a slippery slope to nowhere!
The Wild Duck is a lovely old Coaching Inn dating back to the 16th century and I believe has previously had a well-earned reputation for hospitality and service. Clearly this is not evident at the moment. There is a distinct lack of TLC with the environs, from the dirty, over-grown, wasp infested Beer Garden to the dusty, neglected internal hop decorations and forgotten toilets. My most consistent gripe however would have to be service levels and I do not blame the wait staff for this themselves. I commend the use of local students for waiting tables but a lack of training is always evident. I am of the opinion that any establishment is only as good as their staff and with a little time and effort service levels can become exceptional. In my opinion, any establishment similar to the Wild Duck should consistently strive for this level of service, if not always attained.
With a small effort from the right operators the Wild Duck can, and hopefully will return to a reputable establishment, but for the moment - forewarned is forearmed!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colchester, United Kingdom
“ghastley”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Not a pleasant experience. Outside garden furniture is filthy and the wood is black with age and neglect. Staff are unhelpful and feel they are doing you a favour by deeming to serve customers. Perhaps it is because they are young and have no one to lead them. Toilets are disgusting. Ground in dirt on the floors and toilet bowl was filthy. We were going to have a meal, however we beat a hasty retreat after witnessing the above. This was bad enough,however a glass of wine and a pint of lager cost £10.50. Extortionate when the above is taken into consderation.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Wales
“Notta Lotta Luck @ The Old Wild Duck!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had stayed at the Wild Duck Inn 3 yrs ago, and had not been back since, but whilst visiting the Cirencester area in mid-July, we thought that we'd call in for lunch. The place still has the characterful charm that we remembered from our previous visit, and the cool of the bar was very welcome on a very hot day, but there our luck ran out! The bar service was not pleasant, and the surly young man seemed to have no patience when I couldn't immediately decide what I wanted to drink from the selection on offer, and promptly walked off and left us there whilst he busied himself in a back room. Other waiting patrons were equally bemused by this. Anyway, after what seemed an age, we were eventually served without so much as a smile or a word of explanation to his odd behaviour....maybe he was hot and bothered??
We didn't bother with lunch as the general consensus of those already waiting to be served was that it was not worth the wait....so we retreated to the garden to finish our drinks and left...with a slight hole in our bellies.
The Wild Duck Inn was therefore deprived of our further custom due to poor service and attitude......this is such a shame, as this Inn could be really good if they just put more effort into customer care!....Isn't that what the "Hospitality" trade is all about??
We'll give it another try later in the year, it may have been a bad-hair day, but judging by similar recent experiences and reviews....maybe "Pub Rot" has set in?....I hope not!

• Visited July 2013