“Luxurious but not adventurous” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Constance Lemuria

You added Constance Lemuria to your Saves list
Constance Lemuria
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Anse Kerlan, Anse Kerlan, Praslin Island 00284, Seychelles   |
Special Offer
CONSTANCE LUXURY GOLF
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Anse Kerlan
Denmark
“Luxurious but not adventurous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

For our honeymoon my wife and I wanted to do something special so we spent seven nights at the Constance Lemuria resort. Overall I found the resort very nice and some of the amenities wonderful but I don't believe my wife and I will be attending again simply because of our tastes. I think this resort is wonderful for families or possibly older couples but if you are easily bored and don't play golf I'd recommend going elsewhere or only staying for 2-3 nights at most.

In terms of the facilities (including rooms, equipment and other amenities) it was a bit of mixed bag for us. I booked a senior suite because I wanted use of the in-room Jacuzzi but upon arrival found the Jacuzzi completely broken. My wife and I also wanted to make use of the bikes to ride around and explore the island some but the bikes overall were in average to poor condition and there were very few "female" bikes--all seats were narrow and even with all the biking we did we found the riding uncomfortable. What was really surprising is that there was no water bottle holders--for the heat and the climate you really want water with you so to not have the ability to carry it was surprising. To the credit of the service of the hotel, which I really did find excellent, when I emailed about this I was called by the hotel manager within two hours and things were promptly fixed. The entire Jacuzzi motor was replaced, bikes were outfitted for us and other items offered that I considered the response more than appropriate.

In terms of other amenities the room was large and cleaned each day and we found the beds comfortable and the showers nice although consistent hot water was a problem until we mentioned this issue (which was again fixed within the day). The in-room entertainment was some of the best I've seen at any resort--Lemuria uses Mac minis for streaming media and TV and their selection of free movies was extensive and easy to use. In room wireless also worked without issue and while I don't think I'd do a consistent video chat internet is good enough to do email, voice Skype and web browsing. Another highlight is the Shiseido spa which while pricy does offer some wonderful massages and a great environment to have them done in. The strength of the massage is light so if you've travelled to Asia and are used to strong massages be sure to request this when filling out the health form otherwise you might be a bit disappointed. The workout facilities were also a pleasant surprise to me; for a small island they had modern fitness equipment and a large room to work out in; the only issue for me was not enough weights but I think for 95% of the world the equipment is fine (I had the bench press at full stack and it still wasn't enough but I've had that happen quite a few places).

As far as activities this is where you'll want to pay close attention to determine whether or not this resort is for you. If you golf the course at Lemuria is very challenging and one of the more beautiful courses I've played on and you'll enjoy it. Golf carts are a must given the steep hills and the rental equipment they had was fine (I had a mix of Cleveland irons and Callaway drivers in the bag provided, both more than adequate). In particular you'll enjoy holes 15 and 18--to me those are signature holes and you'll want to have a camera with you for some quick shots. Also be sure to bring water--I didn't see any options or carts selling water while on the course so if it isn't in your cart when you leave the pro shop you won't have any options again until the turn. With regard to the beach the water was fine and the beaches beautiful--in particular go to the "uninhabited" beach some 10 minutes away by golf cart as that was some of the nicest swimming my wife and I have ever done. You'll also find an abundance of beach chairs and towels so you won't have issues at other resorts about trying to find the right spot--every day we found something to our liking.

In terms of disappointments snorkeling comes top of mind but I can't hold the hotel responsible for this. My wife loves to snorkel and there was no real life to speak of around the hotel--all the coral was dead and there wasn't anything interesting to see (we found the Philippians much better). Unless you've never been in the water in your life and find any fish fascinating you'll be quickly bored and this is all due to the huge tsunami that happened in 2006 that destroyed most of the coral. Not the hotel's fault but not a selling point if you are looking for great snorkeling or diving so plan accordingly or plan to go on as many excursions to other islands as you can during your time there. My wife and I also sea kayaked each day to the "uninhabited" beach and only on our second to last day there were we admonished by the security staff as not being allowed to do that for our own safety. This was a particular sore spot to me and I complained about it as there were no signs or mention of this not being allowed and the staff just said "sorry, it is for your safety." This resort wraps you in a cotton towel 24/7 and if you like that you'll love Lemuria but if you like getting out and doing stuff again you'll be quickly bored.

Finally with regard to the food there are three main restaurants at the resort: the nightly buffet, the Seahorse restaurant and the beach bar and grill. We never attended the buffet so I can’t offer any feedback there but the beach bar and grill is very nice and we enjoyed the seafood there. The setting is also wonderful as you sit right on the rocks—only downside is there are three premier tables that allow you to watch the sunset and those book up quickly and it is recommended you reserve those tables 3-4 days in advance. The Seahorse restaurant is the best of the three and we ate their twice, once for the steak and lobster which was fine and another for our honeymoon dinner provided by the management and both times we were quite happy with the meal and service. You’ll definitely want to bring some dress clothes—I had slacks and button down shirts but my wife kept commenting on how dressed up many of the women were. Breakfast is a buffet provided each morning and it’s more than fine—eggs to order, other hot foods and plenty of bread and fruit options so no complaints there. Lunch is the weak point—there were not many good salad or wrap options if you didn’t want a full meal and I got bored of tuna sandwiches quickly and found myself heading out to local stores for food. If you find yourself at Lemuria for more than 2-3 days I’d also recommend going outside the resort and trying some of the restaurants in the Cote D'Or beach area—we had some fantastic seafood at a fraction of the price (note to people using taxis: there seem to be no meters and prices are arranged up front so be prepared for that).

Overall in terms of our experience I’m of two minds. The service was excellent and is the selling point of the resort; everything was taken care of and when I did have problems the service manager met with me directly and things “just happened” and for what you pay to stay here they should honestly. The sundowner drinks on the 18th hole of their golf course was a particularly nice touch—hats off to the team for that and my wife and I found it a wonderful experience and way to close out our honeymoon in the Seychelles. Also if you are a golfer you’ll love this resort—the course really is top notch but be careful of the tricky signage at the intersection of holes 14 and 18—it can be confusing which tee box to hit from. As far as everything else? Well honestly if you stay here a long time you’ll find yourself getting bored—between the impact of the 2006 tsunami and little coral or good snorkeling and diving and the lack of anything adventurous you’ll find yourself quickly bored. If I could do it again I’d shorten our visit—perhaps just 2-3 nights versus the seven we spent and I’d make more of an effort to get off the island.

If you are looking for nothing more than lying on the beach and having everything taken care of Lemuria is your place and you’ll have fond memories. If you have small children and are looking for a safe environment to take your kids yet still have a nice experience you’ll also like Lemuria. And if you golf every day you’ll love Lemuria. If you are more active however I’ve had better experiences at resorts in St. Lucia and in the Philippians in terms of the right mix of service, environment and activities which is why I only give this resort four out of a possible five.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LemuriaResort, General Manager at Constance Lemuria, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to read your very positive and detailed reviews about Constance Lemuria Seychelles and would like to sincerely thank you for your kind feedback.
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, specially our culinary experiences at Seahorse, our fine dining Restaurant.
We appreciate your comments on our stunning Golf course and I would like to inform you that we have now a “marshal” that patrols the Golf course with also the opportunity for our golfers to have soft drinks or water during play time.
I am taking in serious consideration all your advices and suggestions and I am pleased to acquaint you that we have now two new menus for our Takamaka Restaurant on the Beach and for our Pool restaurant with a lot of new succulent culinary delights created by Chef Alexis
Once again thank you for taking time to post your review on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back at Constance Lemuria Seychelles.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This resort was very nice. But, I fear this resort's review is going to be a little tepid.

First, although this is billed as a honeymoon destination, really, most others here are retiree age, or parents with kids.

The resort, as a result, is very quiet.

I've stayed in many different beach resorts, in many countries. This one is lovely, but a tad overpriced for what you get. There's a beach - the sand is lovely and sandy and fairly soft. The waves crash, do people get in the water? Not really. You get wet, but, there's nothing much to see of fish or coral life there, so, once you're wet and refreshed, there's not much to keep you swimming. The corals seem to all be dead - this is not something that the resort can do anything about - but the staff and the website shouldn't pretend that they have a great reef.

The water activities staff didn't like to see their equipment being used for longer excursions than about 15 minutes (they chased us back and yelled at us when we went around the corner to a different beach (still on the resort property) - first saying that our time was up [was there a time limit? We were the only ones using the equipment that day], then saying it wasn't allowed to go that far [We'd been using the equipment only about 30 minutes, we were about 500 meters from where we'd borrowed it, is that too long or too far?], then saying that we had to stay within their view [wasn't that what their safety boat was for?]. But then, perhaps you like many others who stay here, don't want to use the kayaks or sailboats provided.

My one trip off the island on a day excursion was nice - they list it as needing an extra 500 Rupees for landing fees - what they don't make clear, is that this needs to be in small bills, as it is paid in 3 different locations, most of which don't have the ability to make change. Why not just build this into the cost of the trip for the people taking it?

The beach lounge chairs were nice - and mostly unbroken (we did have to swap a few that were missing pins). There is a towel service - but you go and get them, they are not brought to you. There is beachfront drinks service, but again, you have to walk to the bar to place your order.

Overall, I'd say that the resort could do a better job at service in their waterfront areas. For the cash you pay, that should already be present.

Our room was lovely, and right on the beach. We enjoyed the fact that the room was fitted with an Apple TV, which allowed for quick streaming of the TV and available movies (which, on rainy days was great!). We did have some troubles with the jacuzzi tub in the room, but we reported it, and it got fixed the next day. Room service meals were very good.

My husband played a round of golf and thoroughly enjoyed the very challenging course.

As we were on honeymoon, the hotel did invite us to a special dinner, on them, for one evening. This was fabulous.

Breakfast was included, and is a standard buffet, with the same foods laid out each morning. Its just fine, though not spectacular and very repetative. Lunch and Dinner are paid for separately, with prices being on the steeper end. Food is good though. Especially anything having to do with fish. We did find the food a little bland though - even things listed as curry.

We reported a few worries we'd had via email to the hotel during our stay, and were very pleased with the manager's quick and concerned response. He showed that the hotel itself really does care about the experience its guests get.

One bright spot was the spa. We had several fabulous massages while we were there. The ladies were trained well and could give nice pressure. The spa experience there was fabulous - one of the better hotel spa experiences we've had (though not perhaps the best ever). Its highly recommended.

One day we borrowed bikes. They looked like they'd all been bought at garage sales - all second hand and random makes/models. There were no water bottle holders, nor baskets or places to strap a bag, nor were there locks [yet, we were asked to sign waivers that if they were stolen we would be held responsible for them by the resort]. The bikes did not have modern seats, or the ability to be properly adjusted to fit any rider. The chains were all rusty and the gears didn't all work. I ended up with some interesting bruises due to an ill adjusted seat (and I bike daily - with that as the only mode of transportation I own).

My overall impression was that this was a place that wanted people believe in the exclusivity of the name. Me, I'm not as impressed by a name. Walk the walk - don't just talk.

It IS a nice place if what you want is a quiet beach with warm water and a nice room, and if you can afford the rather large price tag for doing this. Would I recommend the resort to my mother? Sure. Would I go back myself? Probably not.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on the ground floor, but up a floor would get you a better ocean view.
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I don't normaly worry about the staff - as long as the job is done - but the staff there were fantastic.
The day we got there there was a hawkbill turtle laying eggs about 20 m from our room. then a few days tatter there were little ones that were hatching - what a sight!!!!
I never knew ther was a golf course there - but this was an awesome one . The view are beautiful . The beach is great for my sons - the kiddy club was a bit sour- but they were not there much. There were not many kids when we got there, but then just before we left there were a few for my sons to play with.
I would say go to visit the islands - but it is way cheaper to get the ferry , 22 Euros per person- we used the hotel boat at 400Euros.
The beachs are fantastic to see - but I still prefer the Maldives as a whole.
There is not too much to see on the island - a single day will do it - maybe get the hotel to pack lunch for you as there is not too many places that are worth eating at.
If I ever had to go to this island- this is the best there is to offer - but I don't normally go to the same place ever.
this time we has interleaving rooms - that was very spacious - the villas are over priced for what it is- and the pools are a bit cold.
The food was outstanding - really good - I can't say that for all the places I have been.
There was mainly older folks and honimoon couples , but my boys were welcomed all over- they are 9 , 7 and 3
Lunches are a bit expensive - about 20 euros for a pizza - so maybe go for the full board , I did also try some cocktails - that was also pretty costly.
Ask to have a romantic dinner on the rocks for 2 - maybe you get lucky - nope I did not- but maybe you do....

Room Tip: I would not want rooms 1- 12 as they are close to the pools and resturants
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stay here 3 nights, everything is ok, but the room is really old. First day, there are some problems of the pipeline of the bathtub, seems like cramming. We called the room service and the problem did not fixed completely, and the hotel didn't change a room for us. The second day, the washbasin sewer also cramming. We are so hopelessness for the facility of the room.
The staffs are almost nice and the animals are also nice. People can swim between 9:00-18:00 and the beach are opened 24hs. We can borrow something from the boat house like the other Constance. And there are some different activities every day. It's also free.
The circumstance of the hotel is very good because its vantage ground and golf place. The beaches are very nice and the food is Ok, probably not suitable for Asian.
Another strange thing is the bottle of the water. The same bottle of water in Mahe Constance Ephelia is free, but in here will be charged. So they are not the same Constance? We don't know. But if I have a chance to Praslin again, I will not stay in Constance Lemuria.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LemuriaResort, General Manager at Constance Lemuria, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am happy to read the review of your recent stay at Constance Lemuria Resort and would like to sincerely thank you for your kind comments.

However it is saddening to read your comment in regards to the issues that you were facing during your stay in term of maintenance and I apologize . I take this seriously and will address the same to our Team expeditiously.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Constance Lemuria Resort or in one of our sister properties

Best regards
Durban, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel has effectively blocked off Anse Georgette, which in theory is supposed to still remain a public beach and the hotel is meant to make is accessible to the public. Apparently this can still only be done by prior arrangement between your hotel and Constance Lemuria (what if you are not staying at a hotel ??). We had a hire car and ended up at the hotel gate where we were initially told we were not allowed in as we hadnt made a prior arrangement and our name was not on the list. Eventually we were allowed to visit but were not allowed through the hotel gates but were told we would need to turn around and go park in the visitor's parking a few hundred meters back. Even after explaining that my wife was 6 months pregnant, could they not make a small exception and let us park as close as we could to the beach we were still told no. We were very disappointed at the hotel's attitude. This is everything that is wrong with the world, a high end exclusive hotel taking over a beautiful beach and then making it difficult to access for the everyday traveller. I hope they change their attitude in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a great day out at the Constance Lemuria resort. We were staying on Mahe, but for a day out and planning for a future holiday we decided to fly over to Praslin (short trip only 15 mins, but a great flight) and sample the resort at first hand.
We were not disappointed as the Lemuria has it all. Stunning location, great services, a full 18 hole golf course (when we stay next year I intend to play most days) and the bar restaurant has excellent views over the beach and on to the Ocean. Managed to have a quick look in a junior suite and the standard of finish was excellent. We booked our stay and the extra flight over through Seyexclusive.

Room Tip: Try for junior suite overlooking the Ocean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear vauled Guest,
I am delighted to read that you had a fabulous day with us and that you were happy with the services provided.
Once again thank you for taking time to post your review on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back at Constance Lemuria Resort.

Yours sincerely
international
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in a sea-facing Junior Suite (450 Euro/night) after visiting several other Seychelle Islands, which included a stay at the sister hotel in Mahe, the Constance Ephelia. We found it hard to rate the Lemuria due to the extreme variations we experienced in terms of customer service, communication, follow-up and the variable quality of the food and mixed drinks. Our rating reflects these disparities.

On the plus side, the resort is one of the most beautiful we have ever stayed at, the beaches (especially Anse Georgette) were exquisite, and most of the staff were friendly. A highlight was when we received a call from the front desk telling us that the staff were about to release some turtle hatchlings on the beach, and they escorted us to the place where we and the other guests could witness this spectacular event. There were also ‘turtle etiquette’ guidelines in the rooms to advise guests how to enjoy watching turtles without interrupting them, since it was peak season for turtle nesting. This was a real treat.

Unfortunately there were numerous, repeated problems that mostly obliterated what could have been an outstanding stay. For example, when we checked in, a long series of staff escorted us around, one of whom asked us to complete a form to collect info on our names and contact details, special events that you may be celebrating, food allergies, etc. Despite this, throughout our stay we were repeatedly referred to by the wrong names (even after correcting this with staff, the manager and the front desk), they overlooked my husband’s food allergy (twice), and they missed our anniversary. (These latter two problems were corrected, but only after we pointed them out). The girl that escorted us to our room was sweet, and she promised to do three things that she never followed up on, one of which was making a reservation for our ferry to La Digue, and another was exchanging the complimentary t-shirt we were given for a larger size. She did neither of these, so the next day we visited the lower reception desk where we asked another staff person to make the ferry booking and a ride to the jetty. He said he would leave a message for us confirming this, and again, we never received a confirmation call. (More on that later). The next day, we visited the upper reception desk to inform them that the girl who escorted us to our room had not followed up on any of our requests. She asked us “which girl” we were talking about since she had no way of checking. We had no idea since the resort is teeming with staff. We also complained that the TV reception was spotty; this was not fixed and did not appear to be linked to the weather.
The next day we visited the lower reception to see if the ferry booking had finally been made. A staff person we had never seen before checked the book and found nothing. He also kept answering the phone and assisting other guests while we were waiting. By now, we were really annoyed and decided to speak to the manager on duty. He was not available, so we told the reception staff what had happened, and another staff made the booking while we waited. We told her we still wanted to speak to the manager and she promised to tell him to speak to us. (He never followed up, but the staff person from lower reception who we had tried to make the booking with earlier called to say that it had been done, but was recorded under a different name). Later, we received a lovely book from the concierge upon checking out to make up for the ferry booking fiasco, which was a very nice touch, but somehow did not make up for all the problems we experienced.

All in all, we were amazed that such a beautiful 5-star hotel could have so many problems, mostly related to poor communication, lack of follow-up and no real quality control. Since this is one of the pricier hotels, we expected more and left with mixed feelings. We learned from the manager that this hotel is changing ownership and experiencing a lot of staff turnover, so this likely explains the variable reviews recently. Perhaps the situation will improve.

Room Tip: Rooms with lower numbers are closer to the lodge and restaurants and are hence more conveniently sit...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Indeed Anse Georgette is one of the most spectacular beaches in Seychelles and we are proud to have such a magnificent treasure to share with our guests.
I am delighted to read that you had appreciate our “Turtle moments” and you enjoyed watching them in their natural and protect environment
I regret the discomfort you experienced during your stay with us. I would have hoped for a much smoother experience for you as we always expect of our esteemed guests.
I take this seriously and will address the same to our Team expeditiously, particularly our front of house team and our Quality manger.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Been to Constance Lemuria? Share your experiences!