“Vacation in the tropics” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gamboa Rainforest Resort

You added Gamboa Rainforest Resort to your Saves list
Gamboa Rainforest Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Goethals Blvd. | Soberania National Park, Gamboa 7338, Panama   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gamboa
Panama City, Panama, Panama
“Vacation in the tropics”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Only 45 minutes from the city, but my husband and I felt like we were transported to a tropical paradise. Food was great, as well as the service . Spa was an unexpected luxury, and we saw the most gorgeous of birds. We went during the week, to avoid crowds and were delighted even with the rain. The alternating rain and sun put a beautiful cloud display up that we never see in Panama City. We even had a hammock on the balcony. English spoken just about everywhere. Only flaw was the bathroom doors were locked in the pool area, but that must be different on the weekends.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jetzel M, Guest Relations Manager at Gamboa Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
I appreciate your comments and we are glad to have met your expectations when visiting our hotel, from the entire hotel staff we appreciate your comment is a great motivation for each of us.
Thank you very much and hope to see you again in Panama.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

What an absolutely stunning resort. You don't dare put your camera down as you never know what exotic bird will land near by next. Just standing out side our balcony a flock of toucans landed on the trees in front of me. The world famous pipe line trail is literally next door down the road.(a must do tour) you can book it a the front desk. My only wish is that i could have stayed longer than the 3 days we were there. P.S when you book make sure you ask for the hotel main building rooms not the out side cabanas as they are old and smelly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with staff, gives us a pleasure to know that you loved the visit to our hotel and enjoy all the nature. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The atrium inside this hotel is just exquisite, and the pool area is serene and beautiful. There is a swim-up bar and a couple of waterfalls, and the ambiance is just perfect for a nap or a good book. My room didn't really have a view to speak of, but that is because of the side of the building I was on. Some of the rooms had a good view and hammocks on the balconies.
The grounds are nothing spectacular outside of the main buildings, but they are interesting enough for a walk. There are some docks, some unoccupied villas, and some trails.

The bathroom was my favorite thing about the room, as it was HUGE and all stone and tile and the soaps and shampoos were fancier than the typical industrial scented mini bars wrapped in paper. Most of the important amenities were included: iron, hairdryer, coffee, ice, a mini fridge, some English movie channels, and a safe. The housekeeping staff also gives you an option if you would like your towels and linens washed every three days instead of every day to conserve water. I appreciated that.

The one dark cloud over my stay here was the tours and excursions desk. I arrived early the first day, so I thought I would stop by the table and confirm the tours I had booked in advance. As I approached the table, no one said anything, so I just sat down and waited for them to finish what they were doing. After a while and a couple of sideways glances one of them says, "Can I help you?" Why yes you can! I told her I had set up to tours in advance and wanted to double check the time and confirm my reservation. So she starts clicking around on the computer and I wait . . . . after several minutes pass, the SAME GIRL looks at me with a look like, "what are you doing still here," and says "Yes, can I help you?" I repeated my request and then she clicked around on the computer for a bit again and then finally told me what time the excursions would be. I don't want to go on for pages and pages, but basically every single interaction I had with this girl at this desk over the next two days was equally bizarre and awkward. Blank stares followed by my repeating the request for the second or third time followed by myself and everybody else in the group looking around asking each other, "Is this where we go?" "Is this such-and-such group?" "Is someone coming to meet us?" Nobody every knew anything and it was due to the ineptitude of the excursions desk. Could easily be fixed by making the girl memorize a script or something.

My experience with Guest Services was quite the opposite. The woman got me a taxi to Panama City and let me know exactly where to wait, what to pay him, and the name of the driver to watch for, and she was quick and sweet about it.
The guest services worker got me a taxi to Panama

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony with a hammock.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Jetzel M, Guest Relations Manager at Gamboa Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your time to write your comments. All your comments are very valuable for us, and our apologies. We will review this situation and take corrective actions to avoid from happening again.
We are continuously working to ensure our guests receive the service they deserve
Hope to have an opportunity in welcoming you again and be able to replace the bad experience with a good and enjoyable one.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel is built in a beautiful location and is well maintained. Staff is well trained and provides very good service, including restaurants, room, excursions and reception. Green areas are the best of it. The things I didn't like:
1. Clients have to pay to access the wifi service in the rooms (free at the reception area) and the price is way too high. This is a retrograde policy. IF you want to skype relatives without cost you need to do it at the reception, which is way too noisy (and sometimes smell to cigarette - see below).
2. Tiles along the halls to the rooms are very slippery when wet. Considering the rainfall in the area, I would have considered already changing it, or providing with a sort of stick material.
3. Noise. The reception area, restaurants and social areas are way too noisy. Bad acoustics.
4. Cigarettes. Smokers are asked to do it outside the reception area, contiguous to the hotel entrance. Given the air flow, if you are sitting in the free wifi area, you are forced to smoke since it comes inside with the wind. Also, makes you smoke right at the entrance to the hotel.
5. Mattress at the room wasn't even. I found it uncomfortable in the center, Seems like is time to change it.

Room Tip: Make sure they provide you with a room with newer mattress.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback, is very nice to read your comments all of them show positive and negative aspects of our hotel are a vital help to us for continue providing excellent service to our visitors. We took note of yours recommendations. Thank you very much and hope to see you again in Panama
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Room was upgraded to a suite with a beautiful view. The pool is great & has cabanas, a grill & a bar. We loved having drinks at the open air Monkey Bar. The buffet dinner was just okay and it was about $25pp. The buffet breakfast was included in our room rate & was very good. We LOVED the tours that we did thru the resort, the aerial tram & the Gatun Lake / Panama Canal tour. We had excellent, knowledgable guides and saw howler monkeys, sloths, caiman, alligator and capuchin monkeys. Highly recommend those tours. We spent 2 nights & that was perfect.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The resort has a stunning lobby, views of the rainforest, and beautiful pool area. Our room was large with a sitting area and hammock on the balcony. The room was part of a vacation package so I can't speak to the price value specifically. Several other reviews mention the rooms have a damp, musty smell, and I would have to agree with it. We were told it was because of the locale, but even with the air conditioning and dehumidifier on high, the smell was somewhat minimized. The public areas do not have this issue since most of it is open air. The décor is somewhat dated, but we really didn't mind, and the room was clean. The beds and pillows are very firm. We could see several types of birds from our balcony after a rainfall.

Some of the resort areas are closed and need some repair. The pool area is nice and relaxing. Only one restaurant was open during our stay. This can be a special place. I did not check out the resort's website before staying, so I was not sure if it was going to be an eco /conservation type place, which it is not. Service was good overall.

I would recommend for a one or two night stay at most.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level for better views of the rainforest. Request a dehumidifier if your...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I really appreciate your comments and suggestions this will make our hotel a better place to visit. I have noted each of your recommendations because all are great help for us. Thanks again
batavia ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a Caravan tours Panama trip. Our first stop was EL Largarto restaurant where we had an excellent buffet. We also saw an alligator while we were there. A huge cruise ship went by while we were eating lunch. From the restaurant we boarded small boats and went out to Monkey Island where we fed and saw three types of monkeys. Then we traveled up to the resort proper. It was a very nice hotel, perhaps not up to our standards in terms of luxury, but very nice just the same. Our room had a balcony with a hammock where we could sit and listen to the sounds of the animals of the rainforest. Unfortunately, we did not see many. They had a very nice swimming pool area. Our room did not have air conditioning that was working and they were very accommodating in moving us to another room. We enjoyed buffet meals here also. They had an aerial tram ride which was short but the view from the observation tower at the top was excellent. This was an extra cost. They also gave a tour of a small orchid garden, a butterfly enclosure, and a night-time trek to look for animals which were all at no extra charge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your review of our property during your recent stay. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate departments for their review. We are happy that our customer service was excellent as well as the location of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Gamboa Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!