“Average hotel with exceptional staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel

You added Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, Hollingbourne ME17 1RE, England (Formerly Mercure Maidstone Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Average hotel with exceptional staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at the hotel on Friday and Saturday night.
We arrived mid day on Friday and on check in, the chap on reception must have read my booking comments requesting a quiet room (which I had forgotten about having pre booked a month before online), as we had a room at the back of the hotel.
The room itself was quite compact, but functional and served its purpose perfectly. We did visit in the middle of a heatwave, and the room temperature was crazy hot with no air conditioning, but a visits to reception to request a desk fan for the room helped a great deal.
I suspect some of the rooms we passed next to fire doors and on corridors with wobbly creaky floors would be a bit noisy, but we were delighted with our quiet room.
The facilites were great - the lesuire club with the pool and jacuzzi were a fantasic releif after a day on our feet at the war and peace revival.
As part of our online booking package, we had a complimentary meal in the restaurant on Friday night. The food was good quality and the service brilliant - attentive but not intrusive.
This was repeated for breakfast buffets on both days - a simple but comprehensive buffet with attentive service.
The hotel is easy to find from the road, and in terms of local attraction, we wanted to visit the war and peace military show at Folkstone, which was 20 mins away, and Leeds castle was an easy 1/2 mile walk from the hotel.

So overall - a reasonable hotel made into a great one by the staff. Rooms can be hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (if you want one)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Idle Baldy
Thank you very much for your comments about our team and the great food & service you received here. I am pleased you were delighted with your room and that you felt expected. We are well located for Folkestone & Dover with easy access to the Eurostar also. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Best wishes, Dominic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Shropshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

It was the second time we have stopped at this location, as the first time was fine.

The hotel room we were given was very small and very poor layout (a lot smaller compared to even a Travel Inn ?) and was so hot and airless as to be unbearable to stop in the room for even a few minutes it really was like an oven, which when you are paying over £100+ a night is poor.

You also need a sat nav and sandwiches to get to you room, the distances you have to trek around the corridors to actually get to your room is crazy. if you have trouble with walking good luck!

After 2 requested we were provided with a fan that was on 24hrs a day and just circulated hot air. We later requested a replacement top sheet to replace the tog duvet, first of all they gave us a single one and the next day the staff managed to get us a double that fit the bed !

The breakfasts were very good, pool facilities were fine, the staff were very friendly and helpful when not under pressure. The hotel is clean and well maintained and I like the art deco feel in the bar area, but this hotel desperately needs some areas looking such as fitting air con in the rooms and room access made easier.

If I was staying again, I would need to check the room size and only stop in cooler weather.It was a shame that this time was disappointing.
I could live with most things that niggle but this time this stay was not at all pleasant. It was not the fault of the staff who did what they could, but the senior management, need to take a good hard look at investing money in some serious upgrades if they wish to keep customers in the future.

Room Tip: If it is sunny/summer do not get a room facing the tennis courts, the window are above the shiny all...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear NCarlton
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the hotel clean & well maintained by our friendly team & that you enjoyed the breakfast & extensive leisure facilities. The weather at present is exceptional & I am sorry your room was so warm. We do have a number of different room types & sizes & are always happy to offer an alternative when available. Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. Regards Dominic
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here on the way to Goodwood Festival of Speed. We arrived late but check in wasn't a problem. We were given 2 family rooms for 4 of us which was a bonus. The bathrooms a bit small. I'm 5'4" & less than the average dress size & when turning to leave the bathroom kicked the bin by the sink. There must also have been some sort of airlock in the water system as flushing the loo was like sounding a fog horn. This would have upset any neighbours as we knew from an earlier incident from another room that the walls are not sound proofed. The food at breakfast would be fine if you could find anyone to provide some plates and bowls to eat it from. After seating anyone the restaurant manager seemed to disappear only to return to answer her cell phone or to shout instructions to a member of staff across the restaurant. At one point the person being yelled at wasn't even in the same room. It took about 15 minutes to find someone to get some tea & coffee, this is probably because they were all getting in position to be yelled at at distance. In summary, the rooms are OK & you get free entertainment at breakfast if you're not in a hurry to eat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Kim
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you were welcomed with an upgrade and appreciate your comment about the loo which will be dealt with. I was very concerned to read your comments about the breakfast operation and will be looking into the matter. Best wishes meanwhile. Dominic
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the last few years, which in itself shows that I don't hate it. The hotel is clean, the staff are very good and friendly, the rooms are a good size, the beds are comfortable, the breakfast is delicious and we were given a complimentary bottle of water and bar of chocolate. Overall it is a good hotel. However, I do have some niggles (which I've always had with this hotel and have told them about in the feedback they request after a stay, however, nothing has changed as a result). Firstly the shower head is fixed above the bath, which has a curved bottom, no handrail, a shower curtain with no weight at the bottom and the water pressure in the shower is not good. Therefore, having a shower isn't a good experience as you have to balance in the bath (I'm in my 40's but I do have problems with my feet which make this difficult for me so it might just be a problem for me), then you spend the whole shower trying to stop the curtain sticking to you. Washing my hair was difficult because the shower pressure didn't really penetrate to wash out the shampoo and because the shower head is fixed you can't move it any closer to your head. The bathroom extractor fan doesn't work, told reception but wasn't fixed while we were there. There is no way of regulating the room temperature, 2 women having showers in the summer and drying their hair, trust me it gets very hot in the rooms. Apart from the 6 inch opening allowed by the windows and the fan supplied that is the only ventilation and way of trying to cool the room down and unfortunately it is insufficient. The spa facilities are nice but not luxurious, so you can use the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi (although because of a complaint by somebody else this wasn't available during our stay) and pool (alongside the various swimming lessons taking place). The treatments offered are good and reasonably priced. The hotel should consider updating the bathrooms, offering rooms with showers only or wet rooms would be good, and think about how they can improve the temperature control in the rooms. This would significantly improve the experience. Overall this is a nice hotel and if you get one of their deals it is reasonable value but don't expect luxury.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear KGRandP
Thank you for your review and your ongoing custom. We really do value all your comments, ideas and suggestions. The water pressure is generally very good and I appreciate you pointing out the extractor fault which has since been resolved. Do let me know when you are next due to visit as I would be pleased to meet with you and to show you some of the improvements and plans for the future. Sincerely, Dominic
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Nice location and grounds. Our room was very small, although a double room it was hard to get past the end of the bed, not much room for 2 suitcases, and seemed more like a single room. No air conditioning so room was quite hot and stuffy. Staff were friendly and dinner and breakfast were very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Dear Diane
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased you found the team friendly and enjoyed your dinner and breakfast. We have a number of different room types and sizes and are always happy to offer alternatives whenever possible. I would recommend an upgrade to a Privilege or Superior room for more space and comfort. Best wishes. Dominic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Having stayed at a number of different Mercure's over the past few years I'm aware they can be a bit hit and miss. The Great Danes is no exception. The hotel itself is a little tired looking, but is in a convenient location with lovely grounds. Unfortunately like many older hotels this one has been blighted by a 70's extension...

Check in was efficient; I had booked a privilege room on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. Opted for dinner in room. Food was terrible. Bland chicken skewers and the worst steak frites I have ever come across, I ended leaving half the steak as the smell was offensive. Duly complained to room service and had the £15 value and tray charge removed from my bill.

The inclusive media package was good although the TV needs an upgrade, a bit small compared to what you get elsewhere these days.

View from room was pleasant, and the bed was comfy. No air conditioning, although fortunately there was a pleasant breeze. Ultimately I had a good night's sleep. And the benefit of a Nespresso machine was a bonus for the morning.

Breakfast was OK, buffet style, so all the usual things.

I would consider staying again, but would look at other options first.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Jonathan
We appreciate any feedback which will allow us to continually monitor and improve our service and standards and I thank you for your comments. I would like to assure you that we use only premium quality steaks and will follow-up this point with the head chef. I am glad the matter was resolved during your stay and pleased that you would return again to the Great Danes. Sincerely, Dominic

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!