“Great potential for short break let down by rooms and dinner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, Hollingbourne ME17 1RE, England (Formerly Mercure Maidstone Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hollingbourne
“Great potential for short break let down by rooms and dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I visited for a two day break at half term. We booked late and paid £177 which included breakfast, which seemed good value for money.
On arrival the Reception staff were uninspiring. They had our paperwork ready so we were expected but didn't seem interested in why we were there. I wanted to take advantage of a treatment in the spa area but nothing was offered to help with this.
Our room was very disappointing and a long walk around the corridors and up and down stairs. We were not warned about this. I had recently sprained my ankle so this was literally a pain! We had Room 132 which had a 'view' of roofs over a courtyard. The room was very small and difficult even to walk around the bed. The walls were very thin which was not too bad until someone arrived next door on the following day.
The bathroom was old and tired and in need of updating, also very small. The bathroom extras like shampoo were good but kitted out for one person as was the towels. I called Room Service for another towel but this never arrived. We found one in the wardrobe but having used it this was not replaced the next day.
We had lunch on our first day which was ok. Unfortunately, some items not available so did not have our first choice. This seems strange on a small menu. Drinks and food were very expensive but we were prepared for this if the quality had been good. Sadly it was not.
Dinner was not good. Perhaps we should have chosen the buffet menu but we decided to try the a la carte options. I ordered scallops which were small and overcooked on tiny quarters of rock hard black pudding. My husband had goats cheese tart which was ok. We both ordered pork belly. This was a mistake as it was just a huge lump of fat on a tiny piece of pork. The crackling was soft and pliable and the fondant potato was a giant hard roast potato. AlI so disappointing. I sent mine back and the waitress was really helpful and suggested I try something from the buffet next time? As my husband decided to persevere with his, I chose fish pie and this was ok.
Breakfast on both days was excellent .
But we did not eat lunch or dinner hotel again after our experiences on our first day.

The swimming pool and spa area was excellent but even this was let down on the second day when the shower in the main pool area stopped working. The changing rooms were not clean.

Free WIFI was a joke. We could only access this in one corner of one of the lounges. I use hotels for business as well as leisure and as a woman alone I prefer to work in my room. This would be impossible in this hotel.

On the whole this is a reasonable 3 star hotel which needs to remember the mantra 'Customer Service'. The hotel owners need to upgrade this hotel and stop marketing single rooms as doubles. Lots of things could also have been improved if guests felt that they were welcome by the staff.

• Stayed November 2012
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Happyhead 06, thank you for your review.
We welcome any feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service and standards and are grateful for your comments.

I was pleased you enjoyed lunch on your first day and both your breakfasts but I am sorry there were clearly elements of your visit that failed to impress.

The team are generally regarded as caring and helpful and I am very sorry that this was not the impression you received during your stay.

We regularly compare prices to ensure we offer good value for money, the pork belly is a popular choice and I am pleased an alternative was offered. Free wifi is available throughout the public areas and is stronger in places but will be upgraded in the coming weeks.

Thank you again for all your comments which I have carefully noted and will work with the team to ensure action is taken to improve standards in these areas.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Got married here in August and can honestly say the hotel and its staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were lovely, a lot of our guests stayed and also rated the hotel food and service well. Had breakfast here both mornings it was well presented, hot and tasted good. All wedding food was excellent. A few of my guests were unable to book on internet so booked through hotel and paid a higher rate. But hotel very kindly refunded them the difference.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear ScottishBeauty67
Thank you very much for your review.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your special day and that you and your family and guests were well looked after.

The team are a credit to us and I will share your feedback with all concerned.

Harrow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night, dinner bed and breakfast break at Great Danes Hotel. Don't listen to the negative reviews. My friend and I had a wonderfully relaxing time here. The room had everything you need and was clean with a comfortable bed. The meals were delicious - very tasty and good portions. The spa was lovely and the massages were excellent. Within walking distance is Leeds Castle and Leeds village with a lovely pub. Apart from all the above, what made our short break really nice were the staff - who were friendly and smiley and willing. Would definitely go here again and recommend this place to anyone wanting to get away from it all and recharge.

Room Tip: Book a treatment in the Spa - definitely worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear HarrowSmiler
Thank you very much for this review.

Its great to work with such an enthusiastic team. We welcome all feedback which will allow us to continually monitor our service and standards and to share comments such as this is always very motivating.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back.
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel today. Our children bought us a two night stay to celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. We have just left the restaurant - so, so disappointing. We waited 40 minutes for our meal to be served - it was totally mediocre and not worth the money. Sauté potatoes should be crisp - not tired old boiled swilled in oil and not coloured at all. When I complained to the waitress the response was "I've said I'm sorry" and walked away. I complained to the restaurant manager - who was helpful and discounted the bill but it would have been do much better to have had a memorable meal. We are here tomorrow night too but we'll go to a Beefeater, Harvester or Chef and Brewer, all of which are nearby. The rooms are tiny but well fitted. We have a problem with the cold water which trickles out and stops the shower working properly. I'll report it to reception in the morning and see what happens. Overall, it's ok for an overnight but we wouldn't recommend it for a special occasion - very, very disappointing! BUT if its better tomorrow I promise I'll post again and update my comments

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Uk Gilbo

We welcome all feedback which will allow us to continually monitor and improve our service and standards.

I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and will investigate the points raised with the team and then ensure that our normal standards are maintained.

I do hope that you were looked after for the remainder of your stay and trust that any concerns were resolved to your satisfaction.

Dominic

Travelers are raving about these Hollingbourne hotels

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Mercure Great Danes for one night. We had booked a 'Murder Mystery' evening. The actors were very good and the whole thing was very entertaining. Food was 'ok' (dinner was included).
The room was clean and comfortable and roomy, and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The staff were so helpful and very polite. There is a buffet breakfast which was excellent and there are extras on the menu that you order at no further cost. I had two poached eggs and they were perfectly cooked. The breakfast was delicious.
The big downfall for this hotel is that it is COLD, due to the windows being only single glaze. Our room was cold when we went in but once we had turned the radiator up it was lovely and warm, but be careful the radiators get scalding hot. All in all we had a great stay, for not a lot of money.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 116 on the first floor. Nice view over the green. We didn't hear any noise fro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jane 0606
Thank you very much for your review. I was delighted you enjoyed the Murder Mystery evening. We have another on December the 13th with a 'Guilty Pleasures' theme.

Thanks also for your comments about the team.

We welcome all feedback which allows us to continuously monitor and improve our service and standards and look forward to welcoming you back.
Sheerness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had our wedding here at the end of September and it was absolutely fantastic!
From the time we booked to the actual day we were treated amazingly by the staff and every detail was taken care of. Our wedding co-ordinator Clare was brilliant, so professional, friendly and always there to help when it was needed.
Our organiser on the day, David, was an absolute delight - he was so efficiant and all our guests thought he was great!
The grounds are beautiful. We were lucky with the weather and able to have our ceremony outside in the gazebo which was lovely.
We stayed in one of the suites which was perfect and breakfast the next day was really nice.

We couldn't of wished for more for our special day and can't thank the staff enough for all they did.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious and clean with a lovely big bath!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Sarah
Thank you very much for your review.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your special day and that everything was just the way you wanted it - even the weather.
I have shared your comments with Clare, David and the rest of the team who worked to make your day fantastic and they really appreciate the recognition.
Congratulations again.
Dominic

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!