My girlfriend and I booked a two-night stay to the Mercure Hotel in Maidstone, with a view to taking full advantage of the Sebastian Coe Health Spa (which had received fairly consistent reviews of 4 Stars).
Having shelled out over £400 + extras, we could be forgiven for expecting a half decent experience. However, a number of problems occurred that made have been a relaxing spa weekend, a highly stressful one. The problems included but were not limited to:
1. Fire alarms going off IN THE MIDDLE of massage treatments - we were ordered outside in just our swimsuits (no offer of gowns or slippers, bearing in mind this was the last weekend in January).
2. Treatments which we had already paid for but (a) did not last anywhere near as long as the treatments are advertised and (b) were woefully underwhelming, due to the inexperience of the technicians. Freezing cold rooms, blankets which were sticky from where previous clients had used them and got massage oil on them, technicians slamming doors. For £60-70 for a massage, you expect to leave feeling relaxed, not frostbitten and stressed.
3. Hotel receptionists were ambivalent at best. When we voiced our concerns about the fire alarm and the general inadecuate spa conditions with the hotel receptionist, she simply shrugged and rolled her eyes. We had called the manageress since leaving to complain and it has completely fallen on deaf ears. As a result, I have no option but to tell all prospective guests through review sites.
4. PRICE OF HOTEL FOOD. If I could underline and highlight in bold, then I would... If you're happy to spend £15 + service for a burger that any run-of-the-mill pub would be embarrassed to serve, go for it.
£6 for a small bowl of olives too - I would expect to lay on a chaise-longue and have olives fed to me for that price.
There are pubs and restaurants in the surrounding area which I would recommend over this place - you'll find better (and cheaper) food and a warmer welcome.
Conclusion: From what we saw, the Mercure in Maidstone is fairly good as far as business conferences are concerned (i.e. one night stay, breakfast and out). However, DO NOT, under any circumstances, waste your money on a spa weekend: save your money and go somewhere else where customer service is a priority.
Two days of my life I'll never get back!!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Hotel Maidstone
- Maidstone Ramada
- Ramada Maidstone