“Loved the Rose in Vale” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Isle of Wight
“Loved the Rose in Vale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

Having gone on line to find a hotel for a nice weekend away I came across the Rose in Vale - wow! A beautiful setting a fantatsic room with a beautiful four poster bed and food to die for. We were looked after so well we felt like old friends. Would recommend this to anyone

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
moggiesgalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed here the night after our wedding. I told her I had booked a Travel Lodge!

Upon arriving at the hotel we were made extremely welcome and were not disappointed with the location or premises.The sun was shining and the birds singing.

I had 'pushed the boat out' and booked the Rose Suite. Normally I would consider this too expensive, but I think the night after your wedding should not be skimped upon! We live in a farm house in a beautiful location, so are somewhat fussy where we stay.

We were delighted with the suite. The massive bed, amazing bathroom and beautiful outlook. Sheer indulgence.

James also kindly showed us the lovely MG Midget, of particular personal interest given that I also own one.

The dinner and champagne was superb, again James and Sara being flexible with timing and making us feel very important. We could not fault the food - fantastic. It was also nice to have a tinkle on the piano, though a tune-up would be benficial here!!

Before our stay I had read some rather negative reviews of the hotel from a few months back. I can only say that these people are clearly unsuitable for an establishment such as this, and should stick to back street boarding houses. Rude and unpleasant guests cannot expect constant pleasantries from any hotel proprietor.

James and Sara, if you should read this, thank you. You did us proud and we will be back.

• Liked — Location. Friendly, personal service. Fantastic suite and great food.
  • Disliked — Piano out of tune! Only able to stay one night. Not cheap.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Salisbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

Stayed 3 nights in this lovely hotel, set in a peaceful location in its own delightful grounds. Owners and staff alike were friendly and helpful, making us feel very welcome. It was like staying in a country house rather than a hotel. The menu for dinner was varied, using local produce where possible. The standard of food and presentation was excellent, the dining room spacious, light and elegant. Our room was comfortably furnished with double aspect windows looking over the gardens. The open fire and deep armchairs in the drawing room were most welcome after long walks. Ample parking and convenient location for many of Cornwall's attractions.

Stayed April 2008
dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

We decided to treat ourselves to a little luxury after a brief visit to our old haunts in Cornwall. All I can say is that from the moment we walked in we were treated with friendliness and courtesy by the lovely young receptionist. Our room which was a superior was just lovely and what a wonderful mattress! and view of the gardens. Our little 9 month old puppy was made very welcome and enjoyed all the fuss made over him.
We booked our Saturday night meal at the hotel and all I can say is that it was fantastic, you could tell the meat was organic as there was so much flavour to it. I have a lactose intolerance and my food was adapted accordingly when I mentioned this to the waitress.
We are already thinking about taking my in-laws down in October to celebrate my father-in-law's 80th!
Our stay at this hotel was everything we expected and more, thank you.

• Liked — setting and rooms
  • Disliked — building work at back
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Middlesex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at Rose In Vale and thought I had to write a review as I had almost been put off going after reading previous reviews but our experience was very positive.
The hotel is very pretty and in a lovely setting. It is in tiny village reached by a country lane and the only local facilities seemed to be a country pub so we found ourselves driving to the local coastal towns each day. This however suited us as we wanted a very quiet, relaxing time and you do feel you have got away from it all at the hotel.
It was winter so we did not make use of the pretty gardens, swimming pool, hot tub etc instead we sat on comfy sofas in front of the log fires in the lounge.
Every staff member we came into contact with was extremely friendly and helpful and although the hotel is very small we did not have any trouble contacting someone if we needed to.
The decor did not look at all tired as some of the other reviews had noted but from speaking to other guests who were return visitors it has been redecorated with carpets, floors and furniture replaced recently.
Our bedroom did have creaky floorboards but it is a very old house. I was worried it might bother people underneath us but when I checked it was just a storage area so it was fine. It was clean and fresh with big wooden wardrobes, dressing table and bed and 2 flatscreen TV's which saved any arguements when the football was on!
We did have one problem with the room during our stay which was a leaky hot water tap in the bath but when we mentioned it to the manager he checked it out and could not fix it straight away so he switched us to an upgraded room for the rest of our stay.
We ended up in the Rose Suite which matches and probably exceeds any hotel room I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in many four and five star hotels in different parts of the world. The bed was a huge kingsize four poster with a very comfy mattress and the bathroom had a double jacuzzi bath and double shower which all looked very clean and new.
The food was one of the big highlights - we enjoyed every meal and found there was plenty of choice and it was well cooked, well presented and good sized portions. Again I was told the food had improved since they replaced the chef. For such a small hotel I was very impressed with the choice at breakfast where you help yourself to juice, cereals, fresh fruit and ordered hot drinks, toast and could also choose from a very large menu including full english, continental, fish based breakfasts or alternatives like waffles, pancakes etc which was cooked fresh to order.
To sum up I would say the hotel has quite a homely and sophisticated feel. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff but it is only a small hotel so there is not a 24hour service but we did not ever need this. Similarly if you are looking for a lively location with lots of entertainment this would not be right for you. However if you are after a quiet, relaxing break it is perfect and virtually everyone else we met were return guests so they must be doing something right!
We would certainly be happy to return - it is not cheap but I did consider it value for money.

• Liked — Location, food, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Very little! - Mobile phones didn't get reception?
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stayed at the Rose in Vale with our dog over Christmas. We had a fantastic time. The staff were welcoming, friendly and efficient and could not have done more to make us more at home. The food was superb everything ran like clockwork. We all had fun in trying to complete the jigsaw puzzle, this helped us get to know the other guests staying at the hotel.

We have stayed at the hotel a number of times but this was our best stay ever. It was so nice knowing that there would be no unruly children there spoiling the atmosphere.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any couples without young children ! and all we can say to the owners, James & Sara is thank you for a lovely time and KEEP IT UP !! your are doing great.

• Liked — The Hotel was smartly presented, great food, friendly and homely.
  • Disliked — Going home !!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

We saw that the reviews were very mixed for this hotel, but decided on balance that a wedding party review was rather biased, and decided to book nevertheless.
As it was my wife's birthday, I arranged for flowers and a cake to be provided, and they were both duly presented. Full marks. Unfortunately, our room, although beautifully decorated was cold due to the heating to the radiators being faulty. This was eventually put right, with the management getting up into the roof to twist a few valves, albeit with considerable humour on both sides. This should not be the case, however, in a hotel of this class.
The evening meal was quite good, although I don't think it came up to rosette standard, and the breakfast was also adequate.

They do really need to train their chef to cook scrambled egg properly, though. This is a failing at many hotels. Wack it in the microwave until hard, and then break it up with a fork!!! I did mention this to the owners, and they did acknowledge that they were aware. So do something about it!
It would have been nice to see the owners dressing up for dinner, rather than the same casual clothes worn during the day, or am I being picky?

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and the staff and owners were very helpful and accommodating, and the hotel itself is beautifully positioned for exploring Cornwall. Don't let this review put you off, a good place to stay, with just a few things needed to be done to lift the standard.

• Liked — Good position and comfort
  • Disliked — Attention to detail
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rose in Vale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!