“Just the best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aruba Bed & Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pos Chiquito
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #1 of 1 Pos Chiquito B&B and Inns
Upstate New York
“Just the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

This is the best place we've stayed in four Caribbean vacations, five different countries....it's a very small place, just two apartments, in the same compound that the owners have their house in. The apartments are large -- full eat-in kitchen, living room, bedroom, large bathroom, walled-in patio.....plus you can eat your supper by lantern light, as we did several nights, in the main courtyard. Our owners were really hosts, and we sat with them and their friends next to the sea, after supper, on several evenings, drinking wine or beer (they had a cold sixpack waiting for us in the fridge when we arrived because I had mentioned we always like to drink the local beer!) and learning about Aruba. The location is great; halfway down the island, so you can go to spectacularly beautiful Baby Beach on the south end just as easily as to the European class grocery stores and the snorkelling/dive companies on the north end. Pos Chiquito is not a tourist-y area, so it's much more relaxed.....tranquil....than the north end where the cruise ships and the big hotels are. We'd love to stay there again.....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

My wife and I needed a getaway, and we found good airfare to Aruba, so we turned to TripAdvisor to find the right place to stay. We are on a low budget, so after much consideration (and some trepidation) I picked Aruba "Bed and Beach" over a hotel, based on its reviews. We absolutely loved it, and got way more than our money's worth.

If you are looking for a standard tourist experience close to the Casinos, then go stay at the Westin for a minimum of 2x the price (believe me, I checked).

Otherwise, stay at the ABB (Aruba Bed & Beach).

PROS
Truly friendly hosts. If your flight arrives on the weekend or in the evening, Karin or Louis will pick you up from the airport. I was nervous about this, but shouldn't have been. It was easy for them to find us/us to find them, and they picked us up promptly. Karen and Louis are also happy to direct you to the best restaurants on the islands (according to the locals) and even drove us to a restaurant to eat with them on our first day when we didn't have a car yet.

Easy access to awesome snorkeling. Check out the reviews by Google-ing "Best Aruba Snorkeling". 3 names come up again and again, and many consider Mango Halto to be the very best. Mango Halto is a two minute walk away, or just enter the lagoon from the dock right in front of the house (pictured in review).

Gorgeous water. Truly some of the most spectacular colors in all of Aruba, and we know because we drove the entire perimeter except for the military practice range north of Baby Beach... Check it out on Google Maps if you don't believe me. You can tell just by looking at the satellite images. There are maybe one or two other places that rival it, such as Baby Beach, but Baby Beach is, well, out of the way to say the least. The beaches by the hotel don't even come close. You can find beaches like that in Florida, South Carolina, and more. In the photos at Mango Halto, those darker portions of water by their house are huge brain corrals, fan corals, sponge corrals, and who knows what else. Many of the locals say this is the best snorkeling, and its right in front of the room you're staying in.

Karin and Louis have really thought of pretty much everything. They have kayaks, snorkels and mask that you can borrow if you need to, beach chairs, a huge aloe plant just outside the door in case you get sun-burned, tea lights in the evening, they provide a phone you can use (buy your own minutes, although we sufficed nicely on the leftover minutes from the previous guests), secured WiFi, a wine and cheese welcome package your first night, enough dishes and pots/pans for basic cooking, microwave, stove unit, toaster, normal sized fridge/freezer, air conditioning, Cable TV (such as it is...why does Aruba get Chicago news? Seriously.), and more.

CONS
The bed was a little firmer than I prefer, but my wife and I are used to one of those super deluxe mattresses that you sink deeper and deeper into every time you move. Unless you're really picky, you'll be fine.
Nothing else I can think of.

OTHER THOUGHTS
2 minute walk from small grocery store. If you plan to do much of your own cooking, you'll probably want to find something larger, but we mostly made do with what was there...and went to several restaurants.

4 or 5 minutes to the bus stop. We had a hard time finding a useful bus schedule, but it seems like one bus or another comes inside of 15 minutes.

You may find it more convenient to rent a car, but we made do with the buses except for the one day we rented a jeep (which is an absolute must! There is great 4-wheeling on the north side of the island, and if you want an extra challenge, tourists have been known to flip jeeps between the "natural (collapsed) bridge" and the "natural pool." It was awesome. But it is dangerous, so be careful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Please note: the FlipKey reviews under their listing in "Vacation Rentals" might be "real" BUT... probably only the best ones are be posted because the OWNER has to approve them. AB&B has just now been placed on TripAdvisor itself (because it's not really a vacation rental), where all reviews are welcome, and honest and candid reviews are encouraged.

In all fairness, first, the good: My cabana was spacious, budget, AC in bedroom, kitchen, TVs, DVD, Wifi, cell phone, clean. Quiet area near the water and far away from high-rise madness. Their three dogs had no immediate access to the cabanas area.

Not as expected: Near the water but not as pictured or described. About two buildings down from rocky area, across a small road, down rock steps and a plank pier with ladder (pictured, pier with pilings). Gotta have good footing to get down to swim. It's actually a few blocks away from Mangel Halto beach; the palalpa beach pictured on their site (as if it was right out front). Owner seemed very accommodating via e-mail, before arrival and payment. Don't have "access" to laundry facilities; they'll do a small load for you if you need it. Three remotes all with dead or no batteries.

The bad: You gotta love OVER-powering fragrances and air fresheners! I travel a lot, and have never smelled so MUCH fragrance. Personally, I'm allergic but I don't know anyone who likes it THAT strong. Makes you wonder what they're covering up. I first tried hand-rinsing and line drying the sheets and towels myself but it didn't make a dent. Even after she re-rinsed the stuff for me in the washer and dryer (after some discussion), the power fragrance didn't go away. Turned out my unit was also right near the dryer vent. So much for fresh ocean air! I did discover the dog run went right outside my unit on two sides. I love dogs, but not their waste smell. Also, their website goes on about healing and the environment, so the LAST thing I expected was tons of killer chemical fragrances!! Especially with Aruba's pure air and water.

Once I paid (in full just after arrival; my mistake), her attitude started to get an edge to it. First started to gripe that they don't provide batteries, then backed down and said she'd look for some. Seemed quite put out by having to re-rinse sheets and towels herself. Told her I was led to believe that I could do my own laundry, and even a laundromat would've been fine, but it was a nat'l holiday and everything was closed. Then seemed put out that she'd picked up a few groceries for me, even though she offered because I arrived on a Sunday night before a holiday when no markets would be open.

I finally had to leave because I was being choked to death by the power-fragrances that I couldn't get rid of. It was visibly obvious that I was very sick from it; red swollen eyes, hives, hoarse voice, sniffling, wheezing, etc. But no sympathy there. She still refused a reasonable refund, although I did get a small amount. Overall, I felt that once they got my money, I was pretty much treated like an annoyance rather than a guest.

I also went past with a travel agent friend, and she was concerned by the strong, high gates all along that road. Previously, I had been advised not to leave anything visible in your car near Mangel Halto beach. So, while it might look like a 'safe' area, maybe it isn't.

Conclusion: If they'd eliminate the chemical power-fragrances (keep the dog run consistently clean?), not mislead or give wrong impressions on their website, learn something about the hospitality business, and be more accommodating and friendly throughout your stay, it could be a decent place. The attitude problem was the biggest turn-off, and I felt that even an "Average" rating was being generous, but the place has potential. You also have to wonder about a website (FlipKey) that shows nothing but great reviews!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Aruba Bed & Beach? Share your experiences!