“Great resort with potential to be fantastic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anchorage Port Stephens

You added Anchorage Port Stephens to your Saves list
Anchorage Port Stephens
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corlette Point Road, Corlette, Port Stephens, New South Wales 2315, Australia (Formerly Peppers Anchorage Port Stephens)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Corlette
Sydney
“Great resort with potential to be fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Great view, great location, good service, nice people, food is great, breakfast very good.
Clean and well organised.
Marina gives the place a great feeling.
Location is just superb.
Pity thee are little annoying things so easy to fix that could make the place a fantastic resort. Some of them are: dated bathrooms (very dated), carpet joints are pilling off (so easy to fix), wifi not included, air cond so cold in the bar area. All of these little things are annoying and upsetting as the place is so great.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
kent w, General Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your positive comments after your recent stay with us.

I will pass your comments onto the team.

I understand your comments about the little things. All of these points will be rectified when we refurbish the resort. There are quite a lot of staff who have been here for a number of years and these comments are part of the scope to complete when we have each of the rooms improved this year.

In particular, the bathrooms and upgraded technology which will allow us to amend the wifi offering for our guests.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kent Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights recently at Anchorage, it was great. The location is absolutely stunning with marina at the front and a beach right next to it. It is a very family friendly place, and surprisingly quite and peaceful. It is only a short drive to Nelson Bay and Shoal Bay.We are pleased that we stayed in Corlette instead of the overly built up Nelson Bay or noisy Shoal Bay...
All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. The dinner at the restaurant was nice - just the right portion and with kids menu. Upstairs bar / lounge is comfortable and they offer a different / less complicated menu. The only downside is that it takes fever for the foods to arrive, even just a simple ice cream dessert!
The Property has beautiful settings outside. But there are certainly more works need to be done in the inside - the carpets and the bathroom in particular - very aged.
We stayed in the Anchorage room, with 1 king bed and 1 single bed. The room is huge, plenty of room for 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child), and a balcony overlooking the marina and the beach. One suggestion for improvement is to have more hanging facility inside / outside the room for drying swimmers and towels!
We had a great holiday and will certainly return in the future.

Hi,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us.

We think you are right! The location we have here is spectacular. Waking up in the morning, over looking the boats on the marina and the views of Port Stephens is very relaxing.

I apologise about the delay you received when waiting for your food. We will review that with the team.

Thank you for you suggestion of more hanging space for towels etc. We will review that as part of the refurbishment work we have planed for the rooms.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Anchorage over the weekend for our wedding anniversary and had an incredible time. Upon arrival we were greeted with a smiling and helpful receptionist who explained the hotel facilities available and wasnt fussed to assist us with our questions on what to do in town over the weekend. Nothing better than having a staff member who actually gives you the time of day (comparing this to many unhelpful staff at other hotels which i have experienced).

We booked a loft suite as it looked quite spacious on the website and we were blown away when we walked through the door. Downstairs is the lounge room area and upstairs is the bedroom and bathroom. Our view was stunning and the rooms cleanliness was impeccable.

We dined in the restaurant which was just beautiful. The staff friendly and informative!
The location of the anchorage is like nothing you could imagine being so close to home (syd). For the short drive it is well worth it and it feels like you are a world away from reality.

Thank you for an amazing stay and we cannot wait to return soon!!

Room Tip: Loft suite!!
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your positive comments after your recent stay with us.

I will pass on your comments to the team.

The setting we have here is very unique and with the refurbishment work we have planned for this year will only enhance our guests experience.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

As per the hotel website… "World Class Luxury Accommodation in Port Stephens"
This could not be further from the truth. It is absolutely NOT world class accommodation.

As per the hotel website "boutique resort offering premium accommodation"
This could also not be further from the truth. It is by no means a boutique hotel and the accommodation is far from being premium. If one is on a 1-star budget…. perhaps this would be seen as premium. But as regular travellers, staying in 5 star and boutique hotels, and being aware of classifications, calling this hotel any of the words used in the website, is a total lie.

Coming from switzerland, I was looking for everything your website offered. It sounded tailor-made. This was meant to be a surprise 3 days for my husband. The setting is perfect. The location couldn't have been a better sight for us to see whilst approaching the hotel. We were both totally thrilled. Until we entered the loft suite. I am not too sure where to start. The incredibly dirty frayed carpets lifting and bubbling in places. An air conditioner unit that was so filthy it actually made us want to get sick. We only realized just how dirty it was when we switched it on and little black hairy balls of fluff were blown into the air. Windows that I have actually posted 2 pictures of - no words can actually describe them…...total filth…broken….., cracked…..,grimy…. cockroach hiding place…….,despicable. How can one possibly enjoy the magnificence of the surrounding areas through these windows? On approaching the bathroom, it appeared that we had disturbed a family of cockroaches who went scurrying down the drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. The shower ceiling had spots of mould, and had a stench coming out of the drain. As the hotel is at the moment, it should be condemned. The restaurant, which we only used for breakfasts was equally disappointing. Stale white bread. When I asked for a health bread, I was advised there was nothing left. No selection of cheeses or meat cuts. Very oily and greasy fried eggs and bacon. A broken coffee machine. A very poor selection of fruits - not to the flies that were hovering around though. The noise of children running riot is also quite unacceptable in the dining area.

Perhaps one day, IF ever, a new hotel which has cleanliness and hygiene as a priority stands on the ground of a very tired, old and dirty Anchorage, we may possibly return to enjoy the beauty of what Corlette Beach and Port Stephens has to offer. Until then, we will be spending our Swiss Francs elsewhere. In a nutshell….. disgusting.

Room Tip: a great tip…… find another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
kent w, General Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Hi Karen,

I apologise we were not able to deliver a better experience for you and am sure that the refurbishment we have planned for this year will rectify all the issues you raised with our rooms.

I can assure you we do have very high hygiene standards here at the hotel and the cleanliness of our rooms is of extreme importance.

In addition, we have a pest inspection on a monthly basis for all our rooms and public areas.

Our refurbishment plans include replacing all the bathrooms as well as the carpets and improving the air-conditioning units in each room.

I hope your trip home was a safe one and we do hope to welcome you back to Port Stephens when you are travelling to Australia next, so we can take you through our refurbished hotel.

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Please note, this review is based on our experience with the Restaurant at the anchorage. I don't know whether its owned and operated independently of the Anchorage or not, but I assume it is.

We went on the evening of 18 Jan 2014 at around 6:30 to treat the family to a "high quality" dinner as a treat and birthday meal for my wife. Family of 5. The restaurant has inside and outside tables and the food quality has always been very good so they obviously take some time to hire good chefs who think about the menu. Its quite expensive for Port Stephens and has a reputation for being so. Its a "special occasion" venue so as I have 3 children under 8, I figured that those couples dining inside would perhaps not enjoy 3 little kids next to them at dinner.

I walked in and was greeted by a woman in her early 50's maybe. I said to her that we are a family of 5 with 3 young kids, referred to the diners I could see and said, "so could we perhaps be seated outside so we don't annoy anyone else?" This was her response, word for word:

"I don't have the staff to faff about with you out there"

Ah, what? That made me feel like rubbish. I asked her what that means and she said (in a pretty condescending tone that made me feel like my request was so idiotic that only I could not see the stupidity of it) that they are "about service here, and the experience", and we would not receive any if we sat out there as its obviously only provided in the places they want to provide it. I was speechless for a moment and was still stuck on them not wanting to "faff about" with us, so I asked again, what does that mean?

I think at this stage she realised she offended me pretty badly and as some type of compromise said we could sit out there if we had to and she would provide us the bar menu rather than the ala carte.

I thought I was doing the right thing. She says thay are about the service and the experience, but apparently as long as they feel like it and if you sit where you are told rather than where you would prefer. Nelson Bay and the area survives on service and tourism and when travellers experience that type of horrendous service they will chose a different destination next time.

What makes it so much worse is the fact that I have spent a pretty reasonable amount of money at the Anchorage over the past 18 months or so, being an owner of one of the boats moored there. I am (was) a member of their "Captains Bar" and they have a waitress there called Gail (or Gaye - sorry I cant remember) who is probably the best hospitality worker I've ever struck in Australia. But one bad apple does spoil the barrel.

We left and went somewhere else. The lady on reception heard what happened and stopped us on the way out to ask about it. She was very nice and very apologetic for something that she had no control over, but that's the worst treatment I have ever had from a place I was patronising. And for no reason. I will not be back under any circumstance, which is a real shame because the lady on reception was lovely and Gail/Gaye from the restaurant is wonderful - treats us and the kids like gold.

But when you are looking to spend more than $200 on a dinner for 2 adults and 3 children you need reasonable service, not abuse. The Wests Group has purchased the anchorage from peppers (I think) in the last year and they have already started making improvements to the facilities (eg: parking, external painting). If Wests do control that restaurant, may I suggest that you have someone look at the service levels and consistency re the treatment of people like me as that has the potential to undermine your efforts in revamping this place after some years of neglect from the previous owners.

If the Anchorage DOES NOT own/control the restaurant, please say so asap and I will happily delete this post from your hotel's site immediately.

P.S. if management does read this, no need to respond (aside from the note above re ownership/control) as we sadly wont be returning. There are a lot of other restaurants at the Bay in that higher end category, and I am not looking for an apology, or a free-be, or a get-square, or even an explanation. We were just really offended by the treatment and you should be aware, that's all. You will be able to full identify me, if you feel you need to, when you receive my captains club membership card in the mail. It has been posted back to you today. Good luck with the refurbishments and the future plans. That hotel and venue could be a jewel in the crown one day.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces North East in the height summer. Cool breeze comes in and you miss the afterno...
Hi,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback after dining with us.

I apologise that one of our staff members did not display the quality guest service we expect here at the Anchorage and in Merretts.

We expect more from our team and I have sat down with the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that experiences such as yours are not repeated.

I understand you were not looking for an apology, However, I think it is only right to offer one on this occasion and am confident that this will be an isolated incident.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family of 2 adults and 2 teenage children have just returned from a five day stay. This has been the hotel of choice for our family holidays for over 15 years. Unfortunately this once 4 and a half star hotel is going downhill due to it becoming over-run by families with small children who are allowed to run riot. Management has allowed the standards to fall by not enforcing their hotel policies especially in areas that were once for adults only. If you want peace and quiet and a place to relax in luxury with adults and older children then I recommend you go elsewhere. The location is great and the staff are friendly and courteous especially the older staff members who make us welcome every time we are there. The hotel is looking very tired and in need of refurbishment which I believe it will undergo within the next few months. During our stay, the pool was swarming with screaming kids (some on scooters) and even though the signage clearing stated 'no jumping, diving or ball games' it did not deter the kids from such activities. Also we saw young children skate-boarding in the car park and playing ball in the Restaurant during breakfast service. Even the spa, pool room and captain's bar had young children (at times unsupervised by adults) in them morning and night jumping on furniture and generally making a nuisance of themselves. My family and I truly hope that with the upcoming refurbishments and the re-introduction by the new owners of adherence to and enforcement of hotel policies that this hotel will regain its former glory and become again a truly luxurious hotel by the sea as the location is breathtaking and the service excellent.

Hi Margherita,

Thank you taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It was fantastic to welcome you back to the property again.

We have had more families here this year and that is also the case around Port Stephens during this school holidays.

We understand your comments and will look to add some further activities for next summer to give our families options during the day, therefore, reducing the congestion around the pool and restaurants - some examples could be stand up paddle boards and kayaks to name a few.

The team here are really looking forward to the refurbishment and our aim is to bring the Anchorage back to its former glory.

Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We were looking forward to a romantic getaway paying over $1000 for 3 nights. The website promised a “shower over the bath”. On arrival, I was disappointed to find we’d been allocated a room fitted for disabled guests. Questioning the receptionist, she stated that at no time had she told us to expect a bathtub. She had not told us to expect a rusty bench and support bars either. This young girl needs urgent training in customer service and the ability to restrain her ego. The customer should always be right particularly when the customer is right! The room was malodorous, with a stench emanating from the bathroom drains. No one bothered to inspect this, so we poured boiling water into the drain then covered them for the duration of our stay. My husband tripped on the carpet edge that had become frayed due to the establishment’s negligence and decay. (Reported and ignored). Our courtyard was replete with a wheelchair ramp we could watch at dusk while sipping the complimentary cheap wine sent to placate us. The carpets are deplorably filthy, unhygienic and undoubtedly harbour unmentionable things. Apathy is very telling and translates into every area of this business. Do not make the mistake of thinking it won't happen to you. Others I spoke to said they stayed out all day as it was too depressing being in the smelly room. I mean no disrespect to disabled patrons, just that we should have been given a choice.

Room Tip: the local caravan park is cleaner and cheaper.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
kent w, General Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

I do apologise that we fell short of expectations and would like talk to you more about your stay so that we may be able to rectify any issues.

We pride ourselves on our guest service and our ability to go above and beyond for our guests - again I apologise that this seems to have not been the case for you and your husband.

Please feel free to contact me on kent@anchorageportstephens.com.au so that I can gain more information from you.

Kent Warren

Been to Anchorage Port Stephens? Share your experiences!