“Excellent stay at the Zante Sun” 4 of 5 stars

Zante Sun
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lithakia GR-29092, Agios Sostis 29100, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Agios Sostis
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay at the Zante Sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed at the Zante Sun at the end of May/early June for two weeks and had a brilliant relaxing time.
Like Southgone North (below) we had room 125 a "promo" room. Before we left I e mailed the hotel and requested an upgrade and offered to pay the difference direct and to be fair they said they would upgrade me, when I arrived, if they were able. I made the same offer when I arrived but the hotel was full so it was no go.
The promo rooms are basic and do not get any sun, but on the plus side they do not get so hot and you only sleep in it after all. We only had cause to turn the air con (free) on three or four times for a short while. Cleaner kept it really clean.We never had the noise problem, the Bar was usually clear by about 23.00 so that was no hassle. Basically you pay your money and take your choice. On balance it wouldn't worry me to go back there in a promo depending on the time of year.
All the staff without exception are excellent and a credit to the hotel. Never had to wait longer than a minute for a drink and they were all good for a laugh and a joke. Found ourselves actually missing them for a few days when we got back!
Plenty of choice for food with a lot of Greek dishes which made a nice change from the normal buffet fare. Salad Bar was also very impressive.
The Hotel is ideally placed well away from Laganas to avoid the noise, but only a 20 minute coast walk to do some shopping etc. The Village is only five minutes away with several bars and Tavernas.
No problem with sun beds-plenty for all and the pool and pool area are kept extremely clean.
Tips, I can offer. Take a Beach/Pool towel with you or buy one when you get there (5e), The hotel charges 14e per towel for 2 weeks. The bigger coaches cannot get to the hotel and some people were dropped off and had to wheel their luggage 100 or so metres. If you are not that mobile you might want to pre book a private transfer or a get a taxi from the airport. Finally if you have a late flight the hotel wanted 30e for a late departure, so budget for it.
Tavernas to try El Grego (next door) and Ole Ole in the village.
If you like peace and quiet and total relaxation, go for it. I will be very surprised if you do not enjoy it.

Dear Guests
i would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review for Zante Sun Hotel .
Your opinion and your comments are of great importance to us !
I hope we will see you again !

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Szigetszentmiklos, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I forgot to write review last year in september when we were on Zakynthos island.
We stayed in Zante Sun Hotel and overal it was quite good.

Staff was usually friendly, except a few times when not. I don't really understood those moments, but anyway.

There were different kind foods to select from, so you can always pick something that is suitable for you.
What was a bit annoying is that we planed to go around the island so we knew we won't get back to lunch so I prepared three rolls during breakfast, two for the trip and one for my girlfriend who had to skip breakfast. When I was doing it, a lady came over and told me not to as it is forbidden. I understand that it is rude to take food away in an all inclusive hotel, but this wasn't more food that we would eath anyway (not even that much). I mean, it's not like I take some food for my friends who are waiting outside. The situation was awkward.
Next time I did by the book, I asked for food for island trip a day bafore (when you know you'll skip lunch), but we've got 1 roll with a slice of hand and some cucumber, 1 orange, 1 bottle of ware per person. Now that was shame, I could have made much better sandwiches from breakfast.

Beer is ok, can't tell about the wine though. Coffee is average, coctails and juice though that are included in price are terrible. They're the lowest quality, you can feel how artificial they are. So if you think you would drink a lot of coctails, you will be disappointed. I was.

We've got a room in the basement, although we've been promised a room on the first floor with a balcony. We've been told by reception to come back and check next morning, but I think that was bulls*t, they most probably knew which room was empty and when. Either didn't tell us that there is no empty room (I doubt that) or this was a trick that they did for every guest (we saw others complaining and getting the same answer). I think this was a trick, but I have no proof, it's just a feeling.

Our room was quite ok. Clean and cleaned every day with new towels and bathroom stuff.
Only annoying thing was the air conditioner somewhere behind the building which turned on occasionally, at the worst times.

The hotel is close to the sea. The beach is not the best, but it's ok. Swimming pool is very nice, there were enough sun beds so you have really relax.

I've read my review and realixed that it seems a bit negative, although as my title suggest, everything were almost very good. :)
I wouldn't mind to stay in this hotel again, although I would pay more attention to which room I will get.

Room Tip: Make the hotel confirm the exact room before you reserved it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Saltcoats, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

i stayed in this hotel for a week with my 2 daughters and my oldest daughter's boyfriend. On arrival, we were sat down straight away to a buffet meal and then were given out room keys. The staff were very friendly and helpful right through our visit. Even the cleaner was lovely. Rooms were very clean and the hairdryer worked better than my travel hairdryer. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. the only thing I can say negatively about the rooms is there was a lack of drawer storage space for your clothes. We would also have liked a kettle in our room. However, the room had a fridge and a freezer box even though we were all inclusive. Food was excellent. The chef actually bring in food grown in his own garden which was a lovely personal touch. However, as the week went on the same type of food was being served with maybe different sauces. The moussaka was loevley and the cherry jelly. Location was out of the way from neighboring Laganas but it was an ideal location as Cameo Island was only a 10 minute walk away through a short cut through the El Greco restaurant. I wish I had a driving license so you could hire a car or quad bike to explore more. Taxi fares were 8 euros each way to get into Laganas and 15 euros each way for Zante town. There is also a local art shop nearby and a couple of supermarkets (corner shops in uk). The pool was absolutely freezing so I wasn't brave enough to go in. Would have preferred it to be heated to cater for cooler months. Overall. this hotel was well worth staying in and you got peace to sleep as the bar calmed down at 11:30 every night. People visiting with children benefited from the use of the pool and a playground. However, I felt it was a more adult themed hotel as there wasn't much else for the children to do. I am 39 years old and I was about the youngest adult staying at the hotel when I visited in May. There was also no entertainment and you would have needed to go into Laganas for that. If I ever visited Zante again I would seriously consider going back to stay in this hotel.

Notts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

To put this review in context, we really enjoyed the holiday (came back on the 30tht) and will be going back to the Zante sun.

Bit a long review but hopefully you'll find some useful info in here.

First off be careful if you pay for an upgrade for this hotel. We booked through teletext, paid for an upgrade, the hotel knew nothing about it so after a lot of phone calls ended up getting a refund (I'll come to the room in a bit).

If you get offered transfers that are more than 40 euros don't bother, taxi from the airport is a fixed 20 euro from the rank outside. About a 20 min drive.

The hotel is spotlessly clean and all the staff very helpful as per the other reviews.

Wi-fi - we couldn't get the wifi by the pool or in our room for the first three days but there was strong signal in reception. After that it got fixed by the pool but still could not receive in our new garden view room. They do have a desktop in reception, 1€ for 30 mins.

Room 1 (first three nights of stay, number 125) we were given what's commonly known as a 'dungeon' (promo) room facing the pool, just by reception. The room was quite spacious, clean and would have been ok BUT ours was near the bar and reception and really noisy at night, up until 2.30am one time. It was also very dark, just not what you really want, especially as the rest of the hotel is fantastic. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room, you have to wait for breakfast to start at 7.30am or bring a travel kettle.

Beds - very, very firm. Only one pillow but I'm sure you could get another one if you asked.
Fridge - there's a small fridge in the room (ours was broke but got replaced straight away). There's a shop about 50 yards away if you turn right outside the hotel. We got six litres of water for about 2€.

Room 2 (last four nights of stay, number 308) Ground floor garden view room, everything the first one wasn’t.

Beds – still firm but a bit more comfy than the first room.
Fridge – Normal under the counter fridge, lot bigger than in room 1

For both rooms the air conditioning was great, really cools down the room quick and is free! Safe was 10€ for the week

Tv - nice little flat screen in both rooms. The only dedicated English speaking channel is bbc world news but you can get some US shows with Greek subtitles now again in some of the other channels.

Pool - we never had to struggle to find a sunbed. The pool was cleaned everyday and was perfectly adequate for the size of the hotel.

Restaurant -

Food - I'm the most fussy eater I know and I managed to find something to eat every day. I found all the food to be of good quality. My wife's a bit more adventurous and really enjoyed the Greek dishes that were laid on. Only very, very slight whinge was that the 'snack' bar was very limited.

Bar -

Drink - AI is very strict i.e we like lager and lime but the lime wasn't part of the AI. They don't serve cocktails or spirits during meal times, just lager, wine and soft drinks. AI finishes at starts an finishes at 10 and then you start paying (I'd normally had enough by then anyway!)

Cleaning - faultless, never had to worry about clean towels or anything else.

Location - really can't fault it. Beautiful island, you'll be about a 2 min walk from the coast line. Turn left outside the hotel, walk down the hill and the steps to the beach, then right if you want sandy (but very narrow) beach and the small town or left to go into laganas and the main strip. Left is quite a challenging walk and not suitable for buggy's (in my opinion). About a 20 min walk to the strip. There are some very nice beach bars if you go right.

Bugs – Mosquitos seem to be a problem so would advise a plug in for your room (5€ in most shops).

Cashpoint - numerous in laganas, might one closer but never bothered to look.

Cigarettes - we smoke so we're hoping to find some cheap. The government fix the prices so for most named brands you'll be paying around 4€ across the island (and it's not any cheaper to buy 200), and not many places sell in bulk. The airport does and is the easiest place to buy to take home (same price as the shops). Side note - there's a smoking balcony at Birmingham airport now through departures, next to boots.

• Stayed May 2014
Your opinion and your comments are of great importance to us !
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again at our hotel and give us the opportunity to be at your service.
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

juat returned from 2 weeks allinclusive at zante sunhotel.hotel very clean.maids very frienreakfastdly and cqame every day.so always clean towels and fresh bedding regularly.also free toiletries in room.replaced aqs needed. food good abreakfast was very good with lovely yellow eggs,bacon,baked beans and toast! staff looked after us really well. thankyou to nico,yannis,all the girls and well done chefs,you all work so hard! we are missing the horse in the field next door!
negative points;
all inclusive stops at 10pm,slightly early we felt.
no separate tv room/comfy seating area.it was quite chilly in the evenings in early may and we were quite cold sitting in bar area at night,
we had a problem with barkind dogs all through the night for our first 5 nights, but after complaining they spoke to the owners who were using the dogs as guard dogs on empty premisea at the back of our hotel and they moved them further over so we slept much better aferwaqrds!

Best Regards .
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Just back from 2 weeks at the Zante Sun on an all-inclusive basis. We'd never been to Zakinthos, so it was a pot luck choice which ended up being perfect for us. Aghios Sostis is a small resort at one end of Laganas Bay, and as far removed from the main resort of Laganas as it is possible to be!
The hotel is situated in a rural spot, but close enough to the main resort and beach - a 10 minute walk to the main village with several tavernas and bars, but I would recommend a torch for an evening walk - quite dark, no pavements and some tight bends. However, the traffic wasn't heavy when we were there.
All 5 bar/restaurant staff were friendly and welcoming and the food was plentiful and generally good, usually containing a selection of Greek dishes - the salads and yoghurt based mezes were particularly good, as was the Greek yoghurt at breakfast.
All inclusive finished at 10, which meant we were kept up by noisy hoards in the bar!
Our only complaint was a lack of seating, comfy or otherwise - there weren't enough chairs and tables in the bar/restaurant area if all the guests were to be there at the same time, although there was ample space in the reception are to add more; just 4 2 seater sofas in the whole building. This became a problem in early May as the evenings were very cool; we ended up in the semi-outdoor bar with the plastic windows up, which soon became very smokey - not enough places for non-smokers. However, all in all an excellent hotel and we would go again if we decide to return to Zakinthos.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Best Regards .
Ljubljana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Almost very good.
Good and friendy service, but little room for improvment.
Food ... ok. The all inclusive packages equals lower food quality.
Rooms: If you are situated in basement floor the rooms are without windows, with bathrooms that urgently need repairs, no room for clothes, as the closet has no shelfs and hangers, just a empty space with doors and a room safe. In my case lot's of noise due to main lobby air condition thingy.

PLUS: good location, parking space, clean, nice swiming poll if you have children ...

Room Tip: Choose a room in the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Your opinion and your comments are of great importance to us !
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again at our hotel .
Best Regards .Vivian Stamatopoulou

Been to Zante Sun? Share your experiences!