“Our 4th visit” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Main Street, Tavronitis, Crete 73006, Greece   |
Southam, United Kingdom
“Our 4th visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Another great stay, the accommodation is excellent value for money. Stelios, Rena, and Stavros are so helpful, letting you know where to visit in the area. A car is a good idea in the summer as the hill up to the apartments is a killer in 40 degree's. We cant wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We visited Crete last year for a total chill out and had such a fantastic stay at Antilia Apartments that we wanted to come back again to stay in the apartments and see more of the area. So we booked just before Xmas 2013 and requested the same apartment we'd had before.

It didn't disappoint, in fact it whole lot better as we knew what to expect. The welcome from Stelios and Rene was wonderful and it was like visiting family all over again. Nothing is too much trouble for the family and they pay attention to every detail which makes for a very relaxed and enjoyable holiday. Information is available at the reception and always ask if you can't find what you need.
The apartments are spotless and the views over the bay are wonderful. The pool is a little cold to us Brits who like heated pools but it didn't stop us swimming most days. The local shops are geared up for tourists and so we could buy small jars of coffee, etc - we found them speaking more English than last year too (makes me feel lazy!). However, if you like a cup of tea then TAKE TEA BAGS with you - they are available but expensive and upmarket.

There is a local taverna on the corner in Tavronitis and another on the beach front that are quite good - serving reasonable food at reasonable prices. If you want up market food then jump on a bus or in a car to Kolymbari - we had a special last evening meal at Palio Ahrontiko on the sea front, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I had stuffed vine leaves followed by moussaka - i've never eaten better anywhere else! It was fabulous food coupled with impeccable service. A 3 course meal for 2 plus beer, wine and orange juice and a tip and we'd spent €40! Such good value...Argentina and Dictina restaurants are well recommended too. Ask Stelios - he's fantastic at giving out recommendations and they're very good!!

This time we hired a car directly from the apartments at very competitive prices. Stelios was brilliant in giving us directions, lending us a more detailed map, recommending places to go and laughing at our antics with left hand drive cars and right side of the road driving. It was fantastic to be able to explore the West and South West sides of the island. It's so beautiful and the views from the top of the mountains are to die for! There are some lovely places to visit - Elafonissi, Samaria Gorge, Falasarna, Rethymno to name a few. If you don't fancy driving then buses from the centre of Tavronitis are frequent and reasonably priced. However, driving was worthwhile as we stopped at tavernas and sites off the beaten track.

We visited Terra Creta, The Olive Oil Experience Tour was short but very sweet (starts 1pm most days but do check times first) and the olive oil is lovely...we could have been buying Stellio's and this is where his olives all go for pressing! The potter, Kostis Apostolakis in Maleme has a ceramic shop on the main road and is well worth a visit for local pottery/china...am building up a nice collection of "olive" bowls. We visited the monastery at chrissoskalitissa and had a lovely day in Rethymno which has retained much of it’s original character and is well worth the drive there. A visit to the Botanical Gardens of Crete was good value and worth seeing too.

I wanted to visit Spinalonga and the Palace of Knossos but both are quite a distance away, so very easily, we’ve made the decision to return again next year. This time we’ll do 2 centres and stay on the South East coast for a few days to see this part of the island and then of course, return to the Antilia Apartments to chill out and enjoy the rest of our holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Being here was like being in paradise. The apartments were perfect. It is a family run business which was very nice. They all were so helpful and made us feel like we were part of their family. They helped us organize trips to gramvousa and to the samaria gorge. The apartments were a short walk to the beach and a short drive from Plataniás and Chania. The view was spectacular. It was surrounded by olive groves and overlooked the town and the water. I will definitely be staying here again and be recommending it to all my family and friends.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

we are a mature couple & spent 2 weeks in september 2013 in the apartments. the cleanliness & standard of the property are exceptional, no faults at all. the family who own the property are so friendly & helpful, nothing is too much trouble. they also deal in car hire at competitive prices. the area is ideal for exploring this part of crete. all in all we had a fantastic holiday & will certainly return.

Room Tip: all rooms are quiet & have both mountain & sea views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
south london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and were not disappointed. Stavros was waiting to welcome us and to show us to our apartment. I had specified that my 19 year old son would need his own space, and he certainly got that! Up a marble staircase, his room was superb, with a newly-fitted wet-room en suite. Our rooms downstairs were well appointed, including everything one would need for a week in Greece. The maid came in every day and the apartments were left spotless.
The view from our balcony was breathtaking, with the sea and Kolymbari and the Rodopou Peninsula, with its white mountains, in clear view. We went to the pool every day-sadly no taverna with food as in days gone by, but Stelios and Cece, his husky/corgi dog, were extremely welcoming and friendly. Stelios is the man who knows so much and can advise on everything from the best beach to the quickest way to the airport. A true gentlemen.

We had some lovely neighbours and it was an absolute delight to sit on the balcony with a cuppa after a long day of eating and sunbathing! You really do need a car to get around, as the apartments are a bit out of the way (in a good way), but the nearby towns of Maleme and Kolymbari provide excellent tavernas on the seafront and stunning locations.

I can definitely recommend these apartments and this location, a fabulous, relaxing holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've never visited Greece before - and wasn't sure which island to pick, never mind where to stay - so as a single parent traveller I was really stuck. I wanted somewhere less touristy, but with the convenience of a flight that went from a local Northern airport, and after much advice I settled on West Crete, Chania or Rethymon regions. I picked Antilia because it was the most recommended on this site and I liked the look of the traveller pics online (I've been stung before on accommodation on a holiday package to Paris), and of my choices flying from Manchester it was located nearest to the beaches I wanted to visit. The final choice fell between Antilia and an all inclusive for a slightly higher price - but after reading the food reviews I realised I didn't want to be tied to eating at a resort and wanted to see some of the famous beaches and visit Chania harbour I'd have to buy food for those days out anyway, so I picked self catering. I also wanted something peaceful and quiet to properly relax, and the all inclusive looked busier.

After a 9 hour flight delay(!) I was really glad I'd picked the opt in transfer and had booked it all together - because I didn't have to worry about letting the apartments know, and I wouldn't have known what to do with the public transport system in Crete at 1am (not even sure buses run to Tavronitis at 1am?). The apartments were located in the middle of olive groves, the people than run it were so friendly, and were waiting to pick me up from the drop off point for the transfer (the coach can't get up the slip road). Our apartment had a view of mountains, the sea and the pool from the balcony. It was clean, quiet spacious and idyllic. My mum warned me that self catering has quite basic equipment - but our apartment had all what we needed. The water was drinking water. It was lovely.

The beach is pebbly and a bit of a walk - I stayed a week and we visited the local beach twice. I liked it more than the one further west at Kolympari because I'm not a confident swimmer and the incline in to the water was steeper at Kolympari - though there were some great sea front restaurants that sold meatballs in ouzo there!

Many here had hired a car - I booked on some excursions through the rep that came with the transfers (I didn't even know that was a thing!?) and was glad I did because the bus system is a bit scary for remote locations - some don't have destinations written on and where the bus stop is in some towns is guess work. I visited Balos, (which you have to book anyway, I don't think it can be accessed by car) Elafonnissi by excursion and Falassarna on the last day by public transport - which took a while.

I used public transport twice - to get to Chania and to Falassarna. Chania was easy because it goes along the coast and drops off in the bus station. Most people speak English. They look like coaches and you get on and sit down - the conductor takes your fare.
There's a bus from Tavronitis to Falassarna I think they're every 3hours with the last one at 8pm- but it was manageable. There's no 'stop' area in Falassarna so we went to where we were dropped off earlier than the bus was due just in case - but ended up getting a lift with some women looking for Balos.

I ended up really pleased with my choice - I got to see some beautiful lagoons which I probably wouldn't have seen if I'd gone all inc and stayed by the resort. I'd definitely go again - it was so pretty here, and so relaxed, everyone was so helpful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family stay in antilia for a week in August. The place was very clean and the garden was full of flowers and ver well kept. The owners were very helpful and friendly especially with our kids. We will certainly go again. The apartment was very spacious and comfortable. The location is ideal for those who want to explore that part of the island. The views from all the apartments are stunning the sunset from the pool area is breathtaking . Within an hour's drive you can visit Paleohora Elafonisi Therisso Gorge Falassarna Ballos Gramvousa.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Antilia Apartments? Share your experiences!