“fantastic hotel A 1” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Creta Star Hotel

You added Creta Star Hotel to your Saves list
Creta Star Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 21, Skaleta, Crete 74100, Greece   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Skaleta
hannover
“fantastic hotel A 1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

it is avery good hotel with excellent service,food and room cleaning. we will come again

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We travelled with my Son who is 10 years old. We all had a fab time.
You did have to be up fairly early to get a decent sunbed as Brits are in the minority at this hotel. The pools were never overcrowded as the hotel is right on the beach.
The animation team are excellent and work extremely hard, but some of the evening entertainment was cheesy. My Son loved it though.
The food was nice and there was a good choice. We didn't have to queue al all, which made nice change from previous all inclusive hotels I have stayed in.
Make sure you take enough sun cream - we did , but I noticed factor 50 for kids was 27 euros!
I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bishop Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Travelled with my wife and 7 year old daughter.
Overall we had a nice time, but there were several serious issues with the hotel and with the trips arranged by the rep that badly impacted the overall enjoyment of the holiday.
Firstly the pools, yes I knew the main pool was salt water before I went, and I was aware that the indoor pool was fresh water but substantially smaller. What I was not aware of was that both pools shelve rapidly and are largely far too deep for a weak swimmer like my daughter. The fresh water pool more so even than the larger outdoor pool. The fresh water pool is roughly 5m x 10m but only the first 2m of the 10m length is within a depth range my daughter could stand in, and for younger children none of it would be.
The outdoor pool has one section which is ok for kids but this again rapidly shelves to deeper water. The result was that we had to keep a very keen watch on our daughter whenever in the water, and we had to do that because there appears to be no lifeguard in the pools and for the indoor pool frequently no supervision of children either.
The beach was better and there are some areas where a rocky shelf leaves a shallow 20-30cm deep tidal pool which the sea continually washes into. In calm or moderate contitions this is good for the kids to play in. The sea also shelves gently in some places, but more rapidly in others. Unfortunately the beach near the hotel is a narrow strip and from what I was told while there it has been erroding over recent years and is getting narrower.
Facilities on the beach are limited if you are into water sports, and only available between around 11 and 3, and then only if the guy is around. Effectively you can get pedalos or kayaks for a limited time, if the water is fairly calm, and bigger IF the guy is not off collecting hire charges for the sunbeds.
As a Brit it is likely to be difficult to get a sunbed anywhere near the pools so occassionally taking the pay route on the beach is a viable option. Don't forget Germany/Poland/Russia are 2/3/4 hours ahead of brittish summer time, so they are most likely to be up well before you in the morning and the sunbeds near the pool will all have towels on before breakfast. That wasn't an issue for us as we don't tend to cook ourselves in the sun much, we preferred the air conditioned pool bar where we could sit and read.
The other big negative was the beds, I know they have been described elsewhere on here as hard, but I think it needs stressing that a lot of people where buying lilo's and using them to sleep on, I even put a towel down on a rug on the floor on one occassion and slept on that as it was more comfortable.
OK that is the worst of the bad stuff the good stuff was very good. The food as has been said before is excellent, queues at lunch time can be a pain, but if you stick to UK time and eat early you will be fine. The food includes a good variety of options for eating healthy with salads and veggie dishes, but the diet options are more lacking in flavour than actually lacking in calories. The hot stuff was very good, with a wide range of options, and for the unadventurous chips and pizza available. The meat and fish is often a little hard work with bones etc... but still very tasty.
The hotel itself, reception, bars everything is of a very high standard, clean and the staff are very friendly. You don't need to speak any greek (I do a bit but I hardly used it as most of the staff are not locals and they don't all speak greek anyway).
The hotel shop is very reasonable, not like in the UK where anything bought in a hotel is generally 2 or 3 times the price elsewhere. Note that there is also a greek supermarket (basicly a large corner shop) on the other side of the main road from the hotel, out the hotel main gates, left around 200 metres (pass the tourist information, ATM, and external trip booking shop), through the underpass (mind your head) turn right and it is 100m back the way you came on the other side of the road from the hotel. Or take your life in your hands crossing the dual carraigeway knowing that the greeks use the hard shoulder as a spare lane to allow overtaking.
The highlight of the holiday though was without doubt the animation team, these guys and girls work so hard, throw themselves into everything and they made our holiday. I know that this has already been said before as well, but it is worth repeating, if only because I am not the sort of person who gets involved in the organised activities and games, but even I did that on a few occassions here. The hotel run kids club was ok, given that the hotel doesn't have that many facilities for the kids, but it was run by the animation team and Lena and Joseph who were in charge on mornings and afternoons were excellent.
The mini disco for the kids on the evening before the show and the show following it were excellent, and the humour at times had me crying with laughter. Manuelitto's nappy change will live with me forever.
The internet access in the hotel is free as long as you take your own laptop, a bit pricey if you have to buy the cards to access the machines in the TV lounge. You do get TV in the room, but take a MP4 player if you really want to entertain the kids as they won't appreciate the 3 news channels in English, or the kids channel in greek.
Won't go on about the distance to the town, it's been mentioned before and we wanted a quiet location anyway. We didn't mind being in a minority as English, although it was not overwhelming.
So overall a good hotel, with limited facilities. Shame that our rep wasn't around and that the trips out were a disappointment. I would recommend the trip by boat to see the sea caves which you can pick up from just along the beach. The views are stunning, the small boats can get right into the caves and it is cheap. For other trips go to the outside agent on the way to the supermarket, it is cheaper and the trips the rep organised were expensive and badly organised.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

What a fantastic week we had at the Creta Star in July 2010. Everything to do with the hotel was faultless, especially the service (a special mention to Manolis and Floran :) who worked at the pool bar). I would go back there tomorrow. We met some great people (hello Marcin and Joanna and Tom and Abbie). Food was fabulous, and the animations team were great. Take some snorkles as the fish at the hotels beach are out of this world!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Essex. UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We have just returned from Creta Star having enjoyed the holiday but not one of our best.
The Hotel is impressive, very clean, good sized rooms, air conditioning was fine. Main restaurant was all buffett which catered for all our differing tastes, however the lunch time restaurant next to the pool was just a repeat of the evening choices. Eventually we got bored with this.The Italian restaurant is well worth booking, it made a change to be served and beats queueing up for every meal, but you do have a set meal and have to book 2 days in advance, its only available Mon, Weds, Fri.
My husband had a birthday in the 2nd week and the hotel surprised him with a cake and a bottle of sparling wine, which was a nice touch.
Our main gripe though was the description in our brochure stating that watersports were available from the beach (at an extra cost, thats ok) but on arrival we saw that there are NO beach sports. Our 2 x 17 year olds were very dissapointed. I asked the rep about this at our welcome meeting,she said the old company had finished and they were waiting for a new one to start, which should be in the next few days. After 4 days I asked the receptionist again and he said in the 5 years he had been there, they never had sports on the beach ! The brochure also says Gym inc, but its not. Its 6 euros p/p per day - in next door hotel.
Should A/I should mean beach sunbeds are included in price?. 4 people x 3.50 euros each per day is a lot when you think you've paid for the holiday up front. We did'nt intend to spend most of the time on the beach but all the poolside sunbeds are gone by about 5 am.
The bus trip to town is good value, nice harbour, plenty of shops and friendly people.
Overall the hotel is good value, but be prepared to get up very early if you like sunbeds, dont book if you want active water sports, the day and evening entertainment is fun, but low grade ( spitting ice cubes the furthest, or kicking your flip flop the furthest )the hotel is spotless, the food looks good, - however I did get food poisoning ( I did'nt eat anywhere else)but everyone else in my party were ok. and be prepared to pay for any little extras (gym, sunbeds, billiards) Overall an average A/I experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We have just returned from a two week stay at the Creta star and can't speak highly enough of it. The food was well cooked,interesting, varied and catered for every possible taste.The staff were welcoming and extremely helpful. Special mention to the animation team,who were tirelessly enthusiastic and very motivating,this is praise indeed from someone who generally doesn't get involved!The Aquarobics was great fun and attracted participants of all nationalities - Emiliano was fabulous! The rooms were clean and linen changed regularly. Surrounded by beautiful gardens,in which to relax,and within a few steps of the sea - blissfully warm.Can highly recommend it"

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

The creta star was absolutly fantastic! we would definitly go back again. The hotel itself was lovely with great food and great entertainment staff, every night there was always something to do. The buffet style resturant had themed nights so was never boring and there was always plenty to choose from. The beech front location was great however the hotel is around a 30 min bus journey to the town centre and we also found that the hotel was populated with alot of germans wich didn't go down too well with England losing to them in the world cup! overall we had a really good time and would definitly go back again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Creta Star Hotel? Share your experiences!