“nice location shabby room” 3 of 5 stars

Old Mill Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Toll Bridge Road, Batheaston, Bath BA1 7DE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“nice location shabby room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

after a long drive i was looking forward to getting to my room, the room was small but adequate, however the room was tired looking and shabby shower adequate. the Italian restaurant attached was good value and tasty food, and the breakfast in the morning was of a high quality.

Room Tip: don't know about the main building but the lodge was shabby
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Westerham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The location of this hotel is idyllic being on the Bank of the River Avon next to a wonderful old arched bridge resulting in the dining room having a fabulous view. My wife and I were visiting our son in Bath so the location of the Hotel was ideal for an overnight stay.
The reception was very efficient and courteous and we were given a room in the "Lodge" which was a two storey annex made of breeze blocks, the room was on the ground floor and was very small with just about enough room for a double bed but the bathroom was clean and fairly well appointed.
We had reasonably comfortable nights sleep, a buffet breakfast was provided offering a wide selection of hot and cold food and we had a table with a wonderful view across the river and the bridge.
After breakfast we had a walk along the the banks of the river which was absolutely delightful. On our return we had a word with the manager and he told us that the hotel was badly affected by last year's floods and that there were plans for refurbishment in particular the demolition of the "Lodge" with it being replaced by a new building.
So when the improvements are made the hotel will certainly be worth a revisit.

Room Tip: Avoid the Lodge
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed in a room in the outside annexe on the weekend of the tenth April. The room was spotlessly clean, bed was very comfortable and although not a huge room, was more than adequate for our needs. The staff were polite and helpful and the location stunning. Took the boat trip into Bath which goes from a jetty at the hotel. The only issue was the difficulty in turning on the shower and getting the water hot. Easy once you have worked it out. The couple next door to us had cold showers, as have other reviewers of this hotel. Shame as this is an issue that could easily be rectified. If visiting the area again, we would definitely return.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Potentially this could be a lovely hotel in a convenient location near to bath however it was let down by the standard of the 'delux/premiere double room and the attitude of the staff when I complained.

I booked the room for a weekend away for my girlfriends birthday on 6-8 March 2015. On entering the room I noticed how tatty the curtains were and the stains on the floor. Although the room was not overly expensive for Bath standards, it certainly wasnt cheap and I therefore found this disappointing, however I chose to ignore it. We also noticed that the bathroom smelt of sewage but it was late and I was tired from a long journey and didn't complain. We spent the whole of the next day and evening in Bath and on returning to the room the whole room stunk of sewage because we had left the bathroom door open. My girlfriend told me she could not sleep in the room and therefore I asked the guy on reception if we could be moved. There was no other room available so they agreed they would clean the bathroom ( i think this involved some air freshener). On leaving in the morning I spoke to the manager who told me his staff had said there was nothing wrong with the room. They either have no sense of smell or were lying.

The whole episode spoiled what would have been a lovely weekend in Bath and I complained through booking.com. The hotel refused to give me a refund and effectively called me a liar. They stated that room 120 is one of their best rooms - Id hate to see what the others are like! I don't think the smell was down to lack of cleaning but a more fundamental problem. It would be interesting to know if anyone else had issues with room 120?

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for the Easter weekend. What a gem of a place!! Fantastic customer service from the start the staff couldn't do enough for you. Jet on reception was a fountain of knowledge and most helpful. We had a beautiful room with amazing views and the food was tasty and plentiful. Would defiantly recommend and defiantly will be coming back.
Frances & Dave

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river have wonderful views.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Oldmillhotel, General Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your kind words and feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with The Old Mill Hotel. We are always striving to improve things and with such lovely positive feedback like this we are reassured that we are heading in the right direction. As the Manager of the Hotel I am so proud of my hardworking staff, they all strive to do their best to ensure our guests are happy and comfortable and when we read reviews like this I am only too pleased to pass on such great words of praise. We do hope that you will come and visit us again soon. With kindest regards.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Used booking.com to book 2 double rooms including a cot for myself, husband and daughter and my parents for 3 nights - booking.com stated rooms in lodge could be booked with a cot and this is what we were allocated. On arrival the General Manager was concerned that we should have bigger rooms as the lodge is adequate but too tight on space for a cot. He upgraded us while we waited with drinks and managed to move us into the hotel - our room was large including a sofa and my parents a very good standard double. So big thanks to him, that made our stay much more enjoyable as we could put our daughter to bed and still have lots of space in the room to move around, chat and and watch TV without disturbing her.

Breakfast buffet was very nice, with good selection of hot food and cereals/yoghurts.

Beds were really comfy and rooms nice and clean.

Staff were very attentive and polite. Really enjoyed our meal in hotel restaurant - good value and tasty italian food.

We also thought the location and scenery were great- a little walk to nearest shops and access to the local post office oddly through one of the pubs! And a short bus or boat ride into Bath. Perfect for our stay.

Stayed April 2015
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel was a great place to stay. It's great value for money and has stunning views of the River Avon. Our room was clean and had a good television. There is also a beautiful walk to Bath city centre along the river. Only complaint I have is the shower.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!