We booked the Irene only a few weeks before going to Corfu and the description of "luxury" on the hotel website was appealing. This is not a luxury studio by any stretch of the imagination but merely a standard 2 star hotel I expect to find all over Greece. Putting an ash tray and some shower gel in the bathroom doesn't make it luxury. The fact we didn't have any fresh towels in 5 days would put pay to any description of luxury in my opinion. The rooms are split between 2 blocks - sea view and village view. We were in room 105, village view but actually the only view we had was a wall since the room was below the level of the road. Also the bathroom is a typical "spray everywhere" type shower typical of Greece, but unfortunately the toilet wasn't secured to the floor so leaked every time you sat on it.
The room was freshly painted and the hotel grounds are well kept with a pleasant pool area. BBQ and pizza nights occur a couple of nights a week by the pool.
Agios Gordios is basically a long road coming down the side of the hill, levelling off before going down to the beach and the Irene is situated just as the road levels off so no strenuous walk to the beach or restaurants - it's a 15 minute lazy stroll to the beach side taverna's.
I paid for a transfer with Irene and she was there waiting even though my flight was delayed for an hour. It was when I was checking out and organising the transfer back that Irene told me the transfer was only one way. True the paperwork did confirm this but when booking the transfer, no option to book a return was there, so please bear this in mind. Irene charges 34 euros each way which seems steep to me and there is a taxi office near the beach. I'm sure someone else will confirm if 34 euros is expensive for a 20 minute journey to the airport, but a taxi is certainly an easy option for you to sort.
Agios Gordios is a fairly typical Greek resort - a single road, taverna's, tourist shops but it's nicely relaxed for couples.
Delphi tavern is very good , also Ark and Thallasa by the beach, highly recommended. Avoid Alexis at all costs, plastic cheap décor and food to match - boiled cucumber anyone ? Madison Garden also excellent for a drink and a chill.
The beach is ok, should be cleaned and also be aware of a sea weed problem to the left of the beach - unfortunately where the best sun beds are.
We would certainly go back to Agios Gordios but not to Irene, maybe try Taverna Sebastian for rooms - also seemed a very good location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Irene Apartments and Studios are situated in Agios Gordios, a verdant area surrounded by trees and rocky mountains. It is 300m from the beach and 20m from the village centre. The beach is almost 1km long and is one of the best on the island. There is a bus stop right next to the hotel which provides daily bus services to Corfu Town.The apartment complex provides a calm and tranquil atmosphere. Also worth mentioning is the marvelous, spacious (1000m2) garden, in which there is a superb swimming pool. There are regular evening barbeques organised in the garden, providing guests with the opportunity to savour Greek-style mezedes (light snacks). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and HostelBookers so you can book your Irene Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Irene Apartments Hotel Agios Gordios
- Irene Apartments Agios Gordios, Corfu