“You get what you pay for!” 4 of 5 stars

Aquis Agios Gordios Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Agios Gordios 49100, Greece   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Suffolk, England
“You get what you pay for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days and from speaking with many other guests it would seem that most of them visited this hotel because it was such a good deal. So was it worth it. Of course it was! I have read the most recent reviews, from guests who were at the hotel at the same time as ourselves and most all of them have valid points to make. It really depends on your expectations and what you want from your holiday. Here are my thoughts about our stay.

Staff.. Mostly friendly and capable, sometimes not enough staff on reception.

Cleanliness.. all general areas cleaned to an acceptable standard.

Rooms.. stayed in a deluxe double overlooking pool. A liitle small but nothing Aquis could have done about this. Why orange bed covers and pink curtains? Strange combination.

Food... Good quality, a little repetitive but always found something I could eat. Very palatable white and red wine served. Olive Tree, good meal but would not pay to eat there on top of AI. Sushi, saw very liitle attendance there. This restaurant would have been better served as a snack bar, quiet lounge or similar.

Drinks.. not a problem with what choices we had but felt that it was overly complicated by the confusing AI options, after spending many holidays at caribbean AI's I think it needs to be one thing or another. There was no way we were going to pay the prices quoted, expensive in the extreme.

Entertainment... Although I think this comment may be attributed to the 'late in season' time of our stay, I found most of the evening entertainment to be intrusive and very loud. Because the roof bar was not open it meant that you had 3 choices of what to do during your evening, the lobby, lagoon bar or your room for evenings. The lobby was full to bursting most evenings with a high level of conversation, ok in itself but when joined by loud jazz or piano music, it becomes impossible to have a conversation without shouting, not a relaxing prospect and sometimes we just couldnt be bothered to try, deciding to opt for a quiet sit on the balcony (although as we were above the pool bar, the continuous loop of music was a little irritating). I think another quiet area would be a valued addition but as I said this may not be the case if the roof bar was open as I suppose it is in high season? Animation team .. not much in attendance but honestly didnt go looking for them.

Pool.. very cold so didnt go in but plenty did. I agree that the sunbed cushions were not very clean but I suppose this was because this is late in season and not cleaned during the season? Amusing to see those people who put out their towels early in the morning on beds towards the middle or 'rock' side of the pool area and the sun doesnt reach them until early afternoon.

We hired a car from the airport so did not need the transfers. Glad we did as we felt quite isolated by the location of the hotel and the fact that this is not 'the real greece' which we have been back to time and time again. I think I would have gone stir crazy had I not been able to get out when I wanted. I know other guests were restricted by the diminished bus service.

One thing that has not been mentioned is how difficult it is to navigate yourself around this hotel. The numbers of rooms seem to bear no relation to the floors they are on and even after 10 days we still managed to end up where we did not want to be. I dont even know if a map of the hotel would have helped?

We dont usually return to any hotel twice and I am afraid this will be no exception although not for anything more that the hotel could have done. I think the increase in prices that will inevitably have to be charged for next year will stop many peoples return to this hotel, as if they are complaining this much as these bargain prices what will they say when they need to pay double.

We did enjoy our stay, met some great people and loved Greece as always. I am afraid the exchange rate has taken the edge off for many visitors from England and that may prevent many returning in the forseeable future.

Would we reccomend this hotel to a friend.... only at the right price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Polish first
Pszczółki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

If you will go to thiis hotel, you will back from there very happy and You will be not regret this decision...!
Staf from hotel is always helpful and smiling, particularly mrs. Gosia from pool bar :)
If you go there to have some fun You can count on Animation team, Suzy and Miki are great..!

• Stayed September 2009
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Travelled with my spouse during late September and got a fairly good deal for an All Inclusive package and 4 star hotel.

The reception ladies greeted every arrival with a smile! :-)

Hotel has clearly spent a fortune on renovation recently and it shows, the lobby is welcoming and bright the fixtures are nice and new.

THE ROOMS--there are many rooms to this hotel we were in block beginning with number 1000. We had a stunning sea view. The interior is nice and modern, flat screen LCD TV-With a DVD player.. to my partners delight! Bathroom a little on the small side, (but then i am picky) -they have fitted huge wardrobes in the entrance as you walk in to the room- which are great for clothes but don't give you a lot of room when entering or opening the bathroom door.
Aside from that very clean, bright and brilliant views.

One major down side to the rooms is that they are not insulated, by this I mean the noise from anywhere amplifies, even though the sliding balcony doors appear double glazed its hard to believe as you can hear the waves at night crashing on the rocks outside, this is pleasant during the day but if like my other half you struggle to get to sleep, this is quite a problem it almost sounds like the door has been left open even though it is clearly shut. Also the entertainment team (who do a good job) put something on every night, but from our position you could hear every song! Even flip flops of people walking up and down the steps seem loud.

FOOD-- is as with All Inclusive packages quite repetitive but tasty, there was something every lunch time and evening that I found which was yummy, desserts are mostly jelly or creamy concoctions in bowls, but nice concoctions none the less, also baklava which is my favourite Greek delight :-) plus fruit and ice cream as standard.
We were offered 1 night free at the A la Carte, but found this to be a big let down, yes it is a more personal service but compared to the amount and choice of food on the buffet it does not compare, personally I would not go there if you prefer more choice and bigger portions.

GYM-- we like to work off the calorie infused food each day with a work out. The Gym is small but perfectly adequate- also it provides clean towels and free water which is important, great sea view while jogging! There is a sauna and Jacuzzi available. Also spa treatments but these are at a cost.

POOL AREA-- nice with good number of bars seating and places to be refreshed, the pool bar leads to the beach but it is a slippery slope with some steps down to the beach-be careful.

This hotel in my opinion should not be recommended to anyone who has any walking problems/disabilities you need to use steps to get anywhere, possibly because when the hotel was originally built it did not have to be up to the accessibility standards of today. There are some lifts inside the main building but these are very small and very slow, plus there wasn’t a lift to our rooms, we had to lift and lug down 4 sets of stairs from the lobby ( they had 1 porter but he was very busy) Elderly people would need to wait for a porter if they considered this hotel.

LOCATION-- is ok if you mainly want beach and hotel, if you walk up the beach and take a right you come to Agios Gordios a small stretch of restaurants/shops/ 2 or 3 bars etc which is nice to pick up souvenirs.

If however you like to explore, you need a car with a good hand brake! Corfu is hilly and lanes are tight, so drive slow to avoid fast on coming cars who know the island like the back of their hand. Took a while to locate the hotel from the airport, but once we got our bearings we stayed on the main roads and got used to the road signs/lack of them.

A MUST-- Paleokastritsa go here, park in the small centre, walk up the hill a little for one of the best views, and get a cold drink in the taverna at the top! Also go in to the monastery it is a nice white wash building with a small shop inside and museum selling some food bits and other things, entry is free.

Kassiopi is fab, I love visiting this little fishing village lots of nice restaurants / tavernas and shops here.

We drove through Ipsos during the day which has a nice calm stretch of beach, backed by bars/tavernas etc which I believe came to life at night!

Basically stay on the main roads on the east of the island and let it take you through Corfu's many wonderful villages. (Avoiding Kavos-party area of Corfu)

WASPS--Other major gripe-Wasps!!!!!! Even at the end of season there were so many wasps!! it was increasingly irritating, they go for your food/drinks we ate inside during the day to avoid them, and outside at night as they tend to go away when its was cooler....but then you get eaten alive by mosquitoes though, its a tough one!! Bring repellent!!!

We fed the kittens on the island as they looked so malnourished, try to help them if you can.

All in all a nice break, shame about hotel noise, and wasps! but good food, nice staff and modern interior made up for it.

Swansea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I won't talk about the lovely sun sets, friendly staff etc etc, it is a lovely hotel and good value for money.

I agree the bathing area around the pool was very packed if you stretched out you would be touching the person next to you. A lot of the sunbeds were broken which was annoying as they could have easily been fixed. I also agree the beach area should be included in the A1 it would make the pool area less crowded.

We went towards the end of the season and it showed the roof bar was closed which meant the lobby was very full at night, the jacuzzi was broken. If we went back I think we would go earlier in the year when everything was fresher and we would walk into the village in the evening for a change.

The food was excellent it was different every night and very enjoyable I really don't think they could have done much more.

What really upset us was the Manager decided to make the hotel all inclusive which meant half board guests were automatically upgraded to A1. Great for the people who went half board but not so good for the ones who paid the £140.00 extra. I really don't understand why he did it now and not decide to go Al next season!!!

Still it was a lovely holiday and I think we might go back but as I said earlier in the year.

We met some lovely people especially one couple (they know who they are) who took us around the lovely island of Corfu.

cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

My husband & I went to the Agios Gordios hotel recently and all I can say is that I would have no hesitation in returning. The hotel food was exceptional with a good choice. All areas were constantly being cleaned. The local drinks were fine and the cocktails (alcoholic and non alcoholic were yummy.) There were plenty of sunbeds even though the hotel was full, and on the odd occasion there were none, there were always plenty on the beach. The beach bar is now all inclusive (apparently it wasnt in the past). The bay is lovely and the beach is nice. All staff were very pleasant, especially in the restaurant and the beach bar. The pool bar was really nice, especially on an evening. The only down side to the hotel is its very hilly in the surrounding areas so if you wanted to walk to the village of Agios Gordios, the best way was along the beach, but not possible at night as there is no lighting, and I dont think people with walking disabilities would get down to the beach as there are quite a few steps. On the whole, an excellent place to stay for a relaxing holiday, and the best bit, no children. (nothing against children, but we have done the children bit and like a bit of peace and quiete.)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Just returned from the Aquis Agios Gordis hotel - loved every minute. Superb location, food and staff. All inclusive at its best. No children, sunsets to die for. Go now before the word gets out!!

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

stayed at aquis agios gordios for 10 nights had a smashing time, we would definately go back ,staff lovely especially annita at reception and sophia bar girl. food was lovely and the place was spotless ,worth every penny.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Aquis Agios Gordios Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!