“Tremendous service at a beautiful resort” 5 of 5 stars

Vedema Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Megalohori, Megalochori 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Megalochori
Los Angeles, California
“Tremendous service at a beautiful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our short stay at Vedema! It is a beautiful resort with so much to offer. To start, they sent a van to pick us up at our other hotel in Oia, which saved us taxi money. Upon arrival, we were greeted with mimosas and a very pleasant young woman who showed us around the resort. Our room was not yet ready, so we rented an ATV and headed to the beach (only about 20 minutes away). We returned to Vedema later that afternoon to find out that we had received an upgrade to one of the Olympian Villas! The room was incredibly nice and also came with both a private pool AND jacuzzi! The friendly young woman at the front desk helped get us ready for the evening, by sending us some bar suggestions and CDs with modern Greek music. A+ for effort. That evening, we had a really good dinner at the hotel restaurant that night. Although, the following day, we discovered a nice little restaurant around the corner in the city square which was really good as well (and much more affordable). Overall, we were incredibly impressed with Vedema.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We got a very nice reception on arrival

They have a very nice reception area a bit unconventional but it made us comfortable as we arrived. We were greeted with a welcome drink which was a choice of juices or a glass of bubbly.

The ladies at the front desk were very efficient and friendly

We had booked 2 suites with 2 rooms each. The furnishings in the rooms did not suit the class of thwart hotel and I do hope that they upgrade it.

The hotel was very well laid out with a nice compact pool and a beautiful open air jacuzzi.

The gym was very unique. .... In an unused wine cellar. ... Had great character

Nice restaurant and a beautiful terrace bar.

Service was top class all around except for one funny managerial personnel. ..... Who as I say sometimes. ..... Was too big for his shoes

I recommend this hotel but hope that they improve the furnishings in the rooms

• Stayed June 2012
Gig Harbor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Megalochori is a very small and quiet village where the Vedema is located, it is a good idea to have a car. The staff was very warm and accomodating as a Gold Starwood owner they were able to upgrade the room to the very large Olympic suite with a pool, it was very special and we were totally pampered by the quick room service. Great drinks also at the pool bar and the food was top notch.

Room Tip: The smaller rooms can be warm with all the brick request a sea view if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We just came back from Santorini. Vedema Resort was really a great experience.
The hotel is located in a quite and beautiful village.

Rooms were wonderful, with private jacuzzi outside.
The pool was nice and quite, restaurants were great, the staff was so kind and always helpful.

Breakfast was really nice with great view at the pool.

I would definitely go back in Vedema if I ever have the chance!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We picked this Luxury Collection property as the lynchpin of our Greek Island honeymoon. After largely disappointing stops in Starwood properties in Mykonos and Rhodes (reviews forthcoming), we had complete faith that the Vedema would end up being the star of our once-in-a-lifetime trip, and we went in with high expectations. Unfortunately, those expectations were largely unmet, and while the stay was far from a horrible experience, it is also a long way from "magical" or "unforgettable," as their marketing cleverly hints at.

Here are our thoughts on the details:

Room: I booked this six night stay on SPG points. As a Platinum SPG member, I expected an upgrade, but with the desire to make this trip perfect, I paid EUR1,000 to guarantee an upgrade from their lowest "Dorian Suite" (the only one you can book on points, at least it was when I booked) to the mid-level "Aegean Suite," which included breakfast each morning, and a private fresh-air Jacuzzi. Upon check-in, we were led to a room that we were told "Angelina Jolie loved" when she stayed in it (however, it seems a lot of people are told this). It did have the Jacuzzi, but the room was largely below ground. It was certainly large, but my new wife and I had the distinct feeling of being in a basement. We immediately expressed our displeasure, and the desk agent, not realizing at the time that we had paid for the upgrade, told us that we had been upgraded to an Aegean Suite, and they typically do not upgrade to the next level Olympic rooms unless paid for. So, if my logic serves me correctly, that means that I paid for nothing, as I would have gotten this room anyway. This is not the hotel's fault, but certainly served to make me feel like a tool. But I digress... back to the room. After some back and forth, and some pushback from their staff, they did show us two other Aegean Suites, and let us choose which we wanted. We picked the one that was most airy, and had the most natural light. It is a nice room, and it is very large, but it does not have the luxury I expected from a hotel billing itself as one of the most luxurious in the Greek Islands. Also, we were told that there were no other higher-level suites available during our trip except for on our last night, which seems hard to believe to me since the hotel has been fairly empty during our stay, but that is conjecture that I am unable to prove.

Amenities: I travel a lot for work (hence the SPG status), and as such, I am acutely sensitive to the amenities in a hotel room, such as bed, shower, seating areas, etc. This is an area that the Vedema is largely lacking in. The bed is incredibly hard. We sat on the bed in two rooms and both were rock-hard, so my assumption would be that all of their beds are this style. Separately, while the bathroom is generally quite nice, the hotel seems to have gone cheap in a number of areas. First of all, they only leave one bathrobe in each bathroom. This is a silly oversight that a higher quality hotel would not make. I am sure the number of single-person reservations over the last six months would be countable on one hand. Plus, the housekeeping staff does not replace the robes when dirty (even when left with dirty towels). They also do not replace shampoos, soaps, etc unless a call is placed to the desk. This may seem like nitpicking on my part, and maybe that is fair, but again, it seems if this hotel is hanging its hat on the luxurious accommodations it provides, it must be held accountable in that respect.

Grounds: The grounds are fantastic. The pool area is very relaxing, and the chairs are padded lounge chairs that are more comfortable and relaxing than almost any I have ever sat on. They also feature oversized umbrellas so shade is attainable. The pool staff is attentive and helpful, and always ready with fresh towels.

Food: Likely the best element of this hotel, the food offerings have been spectacular. From the light sandwiches at lunch to their signature restaurant Vinsanto, we have not had a bad meal. The breakfasts are also spectacular. With that said, one other note for anyone booking with "breakfast included" in their price. For our first few nights, the resort seemed under-booked, so they did not have a buffet, but instead an a la carte menu that was free for us. On our third morning, the hotel suddenly seemed more full, and they offered a buffet. We were informed that we were no longer allowed to order from the regular menu. To be fair, when we expressed frustration at feeling like we were taking a step back, the F&B manager told us that if we wanted something that was not out on the buffet, he would make it for us, but it was reluctant and awkward. A better approach would have been to give us either option. It instead felt like our service level was cut back since they were more full. So we were left to feel like we were sacrificing.

Front Desk/Concierge staff & service: This was the most disappointing part of our stay. Aside from the issue of getting a room that we were not particularly happy with, the front desk staff seems cold and aloof. When we were disappointed with anything, they seem to default to phony and saccharine faces of displeasure, and don't offer any real solutions. That aside, the most gaping hole in their service offering is that, for anything booked through them (wine tours, boat excursions, etc), they do not add it to your room bill. We were forced to pay separately, which is not the biggest deal in the world, but a clear seam in the feeling of luxury. With that said, they were able to book anything that we wanted to do, and we were able to call on them when needed. I will also say that the picture of Angelina Jolie in the lobby gives the place a cheesy feel. It would make more sense for them to take the approach that "of course Angelina stayed here," instead of acting like it is the highest height they have been able to achieve.

Spa: We toured the spa on the first day, and despite my wife wanting a massage, we decided not to get one here. It is in a dark and dank old wine cave, and while some may find this charming, we felt it creepy and unattractive.

Location/View: There are many elements to this hotel that are in fact not that bad. The view is NOT one of them. There are places where the vista includes long rolling plains leading to terraced volcanic mesas and cliffs, and even a few distant sea views. With that said, any water views are more coincidental and convenient than by design. Separately, the little town of Megalachori has a small square with 3-4 restaurants, but is far from bustling. If you are looking to stay on the resort for the pool, Vedema is fine. If not, be prepared to spend 12 Euro per trip to get into Fira. There is a hotel shuttle as well, but the timing is generally inconvenient.

WiFi: The WiFi is not very strong at this hotel. You can likely get your emails and check basic webpages, but downloading a Kindle book took about an hour. I asked the staff, and they said that some areas are just out of range. Nothing that can be done.

Final overview: If you are a TripAdvisor reader like I am, you have immediately filtered to the negative reviews to see what people are saying. Please note that, in my experience, the Vedema is not nearly as terrible as these negative reviews would suggest. But, I blame the hotel for these bad reviews. It has managed to mis-market itself as a top-tier luxury property where your every indulgence is an arms length away, and it is not this at all. I also blame Starwood for classifying this as a Luxury Collection property. I plan on writing a separate letter to both the hotel itself and to Starwood to let them know how badly aligned their property definitions are, as we felt the same way about Santa Marina in Mykonos. If you are looking for a nice property to do some poolside relaxing for a handful of days, and are not looking to party or spend every waking minute in the city, then Vedema may not be a bad fit. But if you are looking for the height of luxury, look elsewhere. We stayed our final two nights at Mystique, and it was fabulous. If you can afford it, save your $ and stay there instead. If not, I'd suggest staying elsewhere. If you are paying with points, it's fine. But don't expect to be blown away.

Suggestions: For honeymoon couples, be sure to ask about the free dinner you are entitled to. If you bring proof of your recent marriage (they are sticklers for this), they are currently offering a free dinner at Vinsanto. It is a set menu, but the food is FABULOUS! My resourceful bride managed to find this offer. Definitely ask about it before your trip.

Room Tip: There is virtually no difference between the Dorian Suite (basic level) and the Aegean Suite, except...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Vedema Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time giving us your feedback with reference to your recent stay with us.

All of our guest comments are highly appreciated, as they help us improve and provide a better service and we always welcome the positive as well as the negative reviews.

We highly respect the individuality of each of our guest and clearly understand that each person has its own taste and opinion and what for one seems like paradise for an other might be something far from that.

We feel however the need to reply to the following aspects:

As per the correspondence you had with our reservations department it was communicated to you that as a per your Platinum status, we would prioritise your upgrade, availability permitting, at the time of your arrival. Your choice was to secure this before hand which is very wise indeed since our Aegean Suites tend to sell out very quickly.

The Aegean Suite we firstly allocated you in suite Δ, is indeed one of the very best we have and even now we are astonished that you felt disappointed. Definitely not due to the fact that a famous artist stayed in this specific suite, but taking under consideration that none of our guests that has stayed there, had any issues with it. We indeed have repeater guests that ask only for this specific room. But as previously said we respect the fact that it might not stand up to everybody’s expectations. We also need to kindly advise you that this suite is built like a small villa and is certainly not under the ground but indeed on top of it.

We have to admit that we are surprised to hear about the comfort of our beds which are all Luxury Collection beds and according to the standards of Starwood ensuring highest quality, premium in luxury and comfort. We are very sorry our Housekeeping did not provide the expected service and we will thoroughly investigate this matter as this is genuinely of our biggest priorities.

We are sorry you felt our Front Desk did not meet up to standards, as the comments we have had so far have been only positive. We regret that you felt inconvenient having to pay for out of the hotel activities, but since these are organized by third parties, not related to the hotel, we are unfortunately unable to charge them to the room account.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back and offer you a most memorable experience of Vedema!

Markos E Tzamalis

Vedema Resort & Mystique
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

It is a beautiful property, away from the action of Fira, but in a quaint little village. I took my family there as an end of school trip and used points, plus 140Euros a night to book. I'm a platinum starwoods member and travel extensively. With the level of luxury described, we really expected a great deal more in service.
1) The private beach is not private, sure they have their own chairs etc..but the beach is along of strip of many other chairs/restaurants etc... I guess I pictured it differently in my mind.
2) The basket of fruit upon arrival, noted in our reservation, was four green apples.
3) The shuttle service to Fira was one way and ended at 5 pm. We heard the police were giving them grief, not sure why and could be a rumour. Not a big deal, but for a luxury property, I would have thought a return service would be provided, vs. taxi. Having said that, the pick up from the Ferry was great and being offered a cold water in the shuttle was a nice touch.
4) We used the outdoor pool at the end of two beach days, but both times were never offered towels, despite other guests being offered same. Odd and I would suggest staff pay more attention to this. Also, drink orders at the pool...despite it being slow, there was no chair service, you had to go to the bar to order. Perhaps another nice touch would be a roaming waiter.
5) We booked in for shuttle service back to the ferry on our last day. We were told it to be at the main gate at 10:30 am, and thought it a bit odd, given our ferry was not til Noon. Regardless, at 10 am we packed up and headed to the main entrance to check out. Two things happened. a) The housekeeping team rang our bell before we left the room, asking if when we would be checking out. They had mops in hand and had piled up all of their cleaning equipment in the front step area. A tight turnover perhaps? When we arrived we had to wait til 2 pm for our room to be ready....it was very musty on arrival as well. Why the rush to get us out? b) the shuttle got us to the ferry in 10 minutes....which meant a little more than an hour wait for our ferry. Again, why the rush? Why not deliver guests in a more timely manner. Luxury service.
6) There is obviously a young family of the owners, or Manager living on the premises. I love kids and had two of my own there. However, these yound children were noisy, would come up to your table, go behind the restaurant desk and into the kitchen, had their own cereal boxes etc... I sound heartless, but it was just, again, this feeling of not quite in a luxury environment.
7) The gym is a musty, dark hole in the lower cellar of the property. It needs to be kept fresh and clean.

Restaurant staff were great, front desk staff were great. I just think this property, if defining themselves in the Luxury Collection, needs to make some serious changes to keep that status.

Room Tip: We had a four level room, main entrance with seating area, stairs to a lower bedroom, stairs up to a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Vedema Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We value all of our guest comments and take them under deep consideration as this helps us improve our lever of service and customer satisfaction.

We would like to express our regret for not being able to meet up to your expectations at some parts of your stay and we embrace the negative along with all the positive comments we have received so far.

We would like however to give you our feedback and comments as follows.

We do indeed have a private section on Perivolos beach which is used exclusively by the guests of the hotel, with free sun beds, umbrellas, towels and beach service with snacks. The legal framework of Greece, does not allow for private ownership of the coastline. The hotel’s pool has a towel service indeed and we apologise if this was promptly offered to you.

We can reassure you that it was not out of rush that your transfer was arranged for 10:30. As you might know you are required to be at the port 1h prior to your departure and since the ferry leaves at noon we believe that this is an appropriate time. Still, if you had communicated to us that you wanted to leave later, we would certainly have arranged that for you.

Our fitness and Spa area is part of an old wine cellar of 1938. It belongs to the history of the resort and we are not allowed to interfere with its architecture as it is a protected heritage.

We greatly appreciate all your kind comments about our staff as well as the useful tip about the room which we hope you enjoyed.
We truly hope to have you with us again and have the opportunity to offer you an even better experience of Vedema!

Markos E Tzamalis

Vedema Resort & Mystique
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We split our time up with a few days at Vedema and a few at Mystique. I really enjoyed the combo and loved our time at Vedema in a quanit village with a short hotel shuttle or cab ride to Fira. Vedema is a great hotel with a feel of staying in your own village and nice rooms - we had a suite. Also the food was very good there and I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vedema Resort? Share your experiences!