“Nice beach but ignorant staff” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE NIGHT OFFER
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Anse Volbert
Göteborg
“Nice beach but ignorant staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Berjaya hotel has a very nice beach and location, but I must say and I am not a fussy person, that the staff had a bad attitude.
I have travelled a lot but the loss of will to service the guests in this hotel I have never seen.
The breakfast was very poor and you wondered where the chef had gone!!!
You had to wait for getting a cup of coffe if they pleased to even give you a cup!!!
Overall I think this is a attitude among many places and you got the feeling of not being welcomed! I have never had this feeling before.
We went to the beach of Lazio and at the beach bar there they were even worse.....
Praslin is a very beutiful island but I am dissapointed because I thought it would be a bit like the Maldives but it is not. We had hoped to snorkel and see alot of fishes from the beach in Ance Volbert but the water was not so clear and you hardly saw any fish at all.
We stayed 6 nights in this hotel and it was okey apart from service.
If you find a coconut at the beach I will give you a warning for the coconutman who takes your nut and then will come back and sell it to you even if you found it first. I wanted my husband to open it for me but the coconut chef was there first and of cours it is not for free. We went fishing twice from the beach with 2 different operatorss and we loved it.
We liked to sit and have a lunch and a couple of beers at the beach bar and it was nice there. Though the personal was very ignorant at first but got better when we had been there a couple of times.If you love swaying palms and white beaches you shall go here but not for the snorklin from beach.
We went on atrip to snorkel with tourtles and I sam with a giant tourtle.Macig feeling as we love the marine life and the ocean.After the 6 nights we were off to La Digue for 4 nights.
Still we had a wonder ful vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Room was quite cosy, simple but clean, nice bathroom. Breakfasts - I would expect better in such hotel, but sufficient if you are not too choosy. The best advantage of this hotel is Anse Volbert - I liked this beach very much, very good for swimming, nice sand and really close to the hotel. The good thing was also the possibility of borrowing a nice towel from the hotel for the beach for free. We stayed there in August 2011 - the time when the shark killed two people on Anse Lazio - so we didn´t enjoy this beautiful beach as much as we would want. We were swimming only very close to the beach as we were afraid, but the Anse Lazio beach is very beautiful, but full of tourists. From Berjaya you can reach it by bus (the bus stop is at the hotel) or get a taxi, it´s quite distant. Generally I liked our stay in Berjaya although we hadn´t had nice weather all the time.
And yet one thing about the housekeeping - they always turned on the air condition in the room so much that it was almost freezing there when we came back to the room. We had to let the room opened for a few minutes before we could enter.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed there for 6 nights. Generally it's not a bad place, but your expectations may depend on the price you pay. I paid a very reasonable price therefore I could say: I haven't overpaid - I got a good value for money.

First thing. Marketing department works overtime and in the resort's booklet you may read that deluxe/superior room (those two names are for the same type of a room) size is 95m2 (1000 sq ft). I booked a superior room. (Thankfully I was given a refurbished one.) However, when I entered the room it had no more than 40m2 (400 sq ft) of a floor space - which is the size of a standard room according to the booklet. The window was quite small though and therefore the room seemed dark from the very beginning. I asked the reception desk about the difference in room size and they responded that deluxe rooms were more or less the same size as the standard ones. Probably I'll never know whether I was given a standard refurbished room or superior room - nobody was willing to clarify this issue to me, and the reception staff felt quite uneasy about this.
Second thing. Staff. They were polite, but what struck me was that it had to be guests who greeted first. At the reception desk I've seen many times that it was resort's guest who was saying "Hello" to the reception staff and then they responded. Rarely with a smile though. Sometimes you just didn't feel welcomed, staff behaved kind of robotic, but were doing their job.
Third thing. Food. Breakfasts were OK. Cooked breakfast (pancakes or an omelet) by a chef was a very nice addition. Range of juices or fruits was limited though. I would say that the food selection could've been improved. However, to name as a "mango juice" a mixed-juice drink of artificial orange color and plastic taste you can buy in a cheap carton box in a nearby store - that was plainly bad.
I had paid for a half board option - a big mistake. The restaurant serving (there are two restaurants on the premises) was the Pizzeria one (on the beach). It's open for both - hotel guests and general public. The food selection for "half-boarders" (which was a buffet style) was limited and seemed the same every day. I looked through their menu card and I wasn't impressed with it either. With plenty restaurants around the hotel I wouldn't care much. Plus, surroundings of this restaurant is not very welcoming. After sunset it's kind of dark and on the opposite side of a road there is a shop which sells alcohol, therefore it's likely that you'll find some people drinking just outside the restaurant or... some youngsters smoking pot (not sold in this shop :)).
Forth thing. Beach. The resort is said to have 80 (or so) rooms. But there are 10 (or so) sun beds on the beach. If you get a room on the opposite side of the resort then definitely there will be more than advertised 50m to walk (in fact, only a small portion of rooms are that close to the beach), but it's still a walking distance. If you do not like sun then the shadow is provided naturally by the trees (around 5-6 of them - on the resort's part of the beach - high enough to give some shadow) and that would be it - no umbrellas. So if you are less lucky and showed up on the beach later then you will lie on the sand in the full sun. You have to remember though that you should clean a spot for your beach towel (either bring one or pay a deposit of 25EUR to get the hotel one from the reception desk) since the beach is not cleared of dried seaweed or other things the sea might bring. I liked the beach though - it is at least 3km long and looks very unspoiled almost natural with all the good and bad things (bad things occur mainly as a result of a human behavior - plastic bags or bottles).
Fifth thing. Location. This is a selling point. As I wrote - the beach is really nice (for those who look after some natural beauty) and good for a long walks (not very wide though). Around the hotel you can find small shops, restaurants and 3 ATMs. The bus stop is also close (in fact one stop is just outside the resort's garden side).
Sixth thing. Amenities in the room. No TV set in the room. No free internet connection (you can buy a 50 hour weekly card for a WiFi connection from the local telecom - but in my opinion the price of 50EUR is prohibitive). If you need a hair drier then you should bring your own one or pay a deposit in the reception and you will get one. There is a kettle in the room, but the tea and coffee in the room on your arrival is only a one time stock - if you need more, then order it and pay for it additionally. The same goes to a minibar - freezer is empty, order first then it will be filled. Beds are rather hard. I liked it, but it depends on a person.
Final notes. Check-in time is at noon. Check-out at 10am. If you leave later, then you might ask for a day room and pay for it but it depends on a availability. You may also ask for a free "shower room" - however, when I got one then there were no towels in it.
Generally - it's a typical 3 star resort with all the good and bad things. Staff is probably nice but they keep this side of their personality at a distance for quite a while. Hotel rooms are clean, small ants or lizards are present but they are not dangerous or harmful. However, If you want to be pampered during your holidays I believe this is not the place for you to stay. The place is full of tourists on packaged holidays - maybe this is the explanation of staff's robotic attitude and general lack of interest to provide hotel guests with better services. This place has real potential, but needs to be rediscovered.

Room Tip: As long as the renovation is on the premises ask for a room which was already refurbished. I've...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Potchefstroom, North-West, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed there in April 2012. We were confronted by so called Pirates who offer you trips to nearby islands, ask for a deposit and then dissappear to go and buy Heroin. Even had the Police there who told us that they do it every day and they are in and out of jail all the time. My problem is that this happens on the hotel's property with the knowledge of most of the hotel staff.
We were confronted by the "Pirates" at our hotel room, my wife was threatened by one of them in the hotel's pizzeria with the manager looking on even have a photo of the main culprit Raoul in the reception area of the hotel.
When I called the Police to the hotel, the manager called me to his office, informed me that he gets complaints every day, but that it was our own fault for dealing with these people. I asked why they don't warn their guests or put up a poster. He said that putting up a public poster was too difficult to do in the Seychelles. Said he would ask his staff to warn people in future. Also said that he can't fence in his hotel as it would spoil the view. Why is it then that the Berjaya on Mahé, is completely fenced in with security guards at every point of entry.?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed 7 nights in a deluxe room with sea view, which is quite close to the beach, less than 50 meters just cross the lawn.
The room is basic, quite dark though. Some deluxe rooms with garden view have more windows than the ones with sea view. So I guess those rooms will be brighter. Unfortunately, it's no way to open the window to catch some breeze.
The room is clean, but with some ants in the bathroom, which didn't bother us that much actually.
We didn't feel welcomed in the first day when we checked in. Somehow the staff became more friendly and helpful later on. However, the staff working in the pizzeria belonging to the hotel were not friendly at all, therefore we ate there only once.
The location of the hotel is quite good. It's very easy to take bus to different directions. There are shops and several restaurants close to the hotel. It's easy to find taxi boats or arrange excursions to other islands as there are almost too many guys on the beach trying to lobby tourists to go for their trips everyday.
Referring to excursions, we think Coco island is the best place for snorkeling; second place comes St. Pierre.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days, group of 8 couples ( 16 persons) in October last year and we loved this place! All rooms were as we booked and we all got the superior rooms, all on ground floor with seating area just outside of the room and absolutely great in all ways. Service and food was great, the pool was great and the staff wonderful and very helpful in all ways. We had such a marvellous time here and we thank all the staff for a wonderful time! Breakfast was just a treat and our friends – all the staff was there to make sure that we got it all!! You will not regret staying here!!

Room Tip: Take the ground floor!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

As you know one of the Top10 beaches of the world is Ance Lazio and it's situated on Praslin, Seychelles. That's a pity the great hotel on the island is placed so far from this beach. If you'll stay in Berjaya you'll have to rent a car or use taxi (not so expensive) to go on Anse Lazio.
In all other respects the rest of this hotel is excellent: good (but a bit slow) service, clean rooms, fantastic seaview and full relaxing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Berjaya Praslin Resort - Seychelles? Share your experiences!