“comfortable and quaint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Reserve Hotel

Save Saved
You added La Reserve Hotel to your Saves list
La Reserve Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Anse Petite Cour, Anse Volbert, Praslin Island Pri, Seychelles   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Anse Volbert
Philadelphia
“comfortable and quaint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

lovely setting with your own private beach. We choose this resort because it had good snorkeling off the beach with a reef close by. We spent one morning snorkeling in this warm clear water right from the beach..the 2nd day we chartered a fishing trip with stops at Curieses island and st pierre island..great day

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Finnish first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just returned from La Reserve yesterday after having two glorious weeks there. We were looking for a casual, peaceful & relaxing vacation and we certainly found it!

Where to begin.......we arrived late in the afternoon and after a short check-in process, were escorted to our room (#137). It was lovely - very spacious and well-maintained. Great view of the ocean & grounds. We had the afternoon sun on our balcony however it was late in the day when it had the full-on sun so really, you could use it pretty much the entire day if you so chose. The weather was humid/hot so the sun could be a bit much for an hour or so, until it dropped behind the palm tree! Back to the room - excellent a/c, lots of storage space for clothing (ample hangers, which is a plus for me!). A few pull-out drawers as well. Double sink and a nice bathtub (which we never used but it looked like the type you could have a really good soak in!). The shower - wow! Biggest shower stall ever. You could have a party in there! Good towels and bath/shower products provided, including facecloths (had to mention this - we travel often and it has got to the point I pack a cheap one in my toiletry bag as a back-up because most hotels don't provide them). Huge king-sized bed and the bedding was quite nice. (The bed is very hard though, some nights I found it difficult to get comfortable due to the hardness of the mattress.) I think with the exception of one bldg near the restaurant, all the bldgs on the property consist of four units in each. Our bldg was full for most of the time we were there & other than the occasional sound of a door being closed, never heard a peep from other guests.

The property is well-maintained. The beach area and the grounds seem to be groomed daily & it is as neat as a pin. The pool is really nice - not deep but just a nice depth for a paddle around. Although not a property being marketed as a family vacation resort (no programs for kids), the pool is a kid's dream. Parts of it are geared towards wading as it is shallow. It was a great place to sit in the afternoon. Afternoon tea is served at the pool bar at 4 pm and lunch is also available from noon-ish to 2:30 pm.

The restaurant for breakfast & evening meals is nice. It is on a jetty and you get a really nice breeze & a view of the fish nearby, patiently waiting for bread to be thrown to them! The odd baby shark cruises by in the evenings and we did see a very small ray do a swim-by one night. The food is excellent. If you love fish, this is the place to eat! I had fish every night, any more & I'd develop some gills of my own! The buffets have much to choose from, both morning and evening. You would have to be an extremely picky eater if you couldn't find something to your liking. We were told by one of the staff that if there was something in particular we enjoyed, they would be able to make it again for us on any night - how is that for being spoiled?! We didn't take up the offer but it just shows that they will do almost anything to ensure you are happy.

One disappointment - and this has nothing to do with the resort at all - was the snorkelling. To access the reef & the best viewing of underwater sealife, you have to go a fair distance from the shore to get to it. It was difficult to find a good location to get your gear on because of the shallow water & all the sea grass, etc. One day we carried our gear & waded over to an area on the rocks past the beach bar. That was a bit of a pain, as you had to make sure you secured your beach bag/towels etc somewhere that the wind wouldn't blow it elsewhere. The weather was decent while we were there but there were about 3-4 days of pretty strong winds & rough waters....which in turn made the water full of debris & churned-up sand - not ideal for snorkelling. The water is incredibly warm though - bathtub warm!

As mentioned, we were looking for a holiday that was relaxing so we didn't do any sightseeing at all. We did walk to the small town nearby simply to buy some "adult beverages" and snacks. If you walk off the resort and go left out the main entrance, walk along the road until you reach White Tip Divers. Takes about 5 minutes or so. Cut through there onto the grounds of the Paradise Sun Resort. Or walk on the beach, it's amazing and very clean. If you continue on, you will reach Café Des Arts then The Pizzeria - both have good menus for lunch. The best bang for your buck though is Paradise Sun for lunch. You can pay in € or SCR (Seychellian rupee). Probably take Visa as well, we just paid cash. They have a great outdoor restaurant with a beautiful view from any table. Their menu is lovely - and the cheapest we found. We paid around 9€ per pizza, which lasted us for two lunches. (There is a small bar fridge in your room). We ate there one day and I had a Thai chicken salad which was just the best. I think it was 6 or 7€ and more than enough for me. My husband had a club panini and it was a huge serving. There is lunch at La Reserve but the menu does not hold a candle to the Paradise Sun's offerings and La Reserve's prices are much higher (their pizzas, for example, are almost double the price for the same size.)

At La Reserve, they have a business centre with two computers for use. Get a code from the front desk and it gives you 10 hrs of usage. Don't bother with paying for the wireless access because the internet connection is slow & maybe not worth the cost. We only needed the computer access for checking flights and contacting family periodically at home so having it in our room was not a necessity. For those who love to read, there is a "library" near the gift shop - it is a room where they have put some book shelves & have books that other travellers have left there. I found some books there I have wanted to read for some time and also discovered some new authors!

Best for last - the staff! Everyone - and I mean every single one of them - is smiling & friendly. They genuinely seem happy to be there & want to make you enjoy your stay to the fullest. Kelly at the beach bar, Piyal, Rasheed & Sylvan (sorry but I know I have spelled their names wrong!) who work in the restaurant/bar areas really made our stay memorable for all the right reasons.

Tips for the ladies: leave your hairdryer at home, because one is provided. For dinner, the men have to wear long pants (some wore jeans....I thought that was a bit too casual, to be honest) so I figured I would need dresses, etc. Nope. I wore skirts & sleeveless tops & that was perfect. No iron or board in the room, you have to pay to have your items ironed or bring a travel iron, which I normally do. The floors are tiled and cool on the feet so you might want slippers for the bathroom, etc. There is a retractable clothesline in the shower for hanging wet swim suits, handwashing, etc. Also a wooden dryer on the balcony that is useful. I wear a wetsuit for snorkelling as I burn easily & it was perfect for hanging my suit on to drip-dry. Don't pack beach towels - they give you two good sized towels & you can swap them for clean/dry ones at the front desk. Bring water shoes if you are planning to go in the water in front of the resort. It's not overy sandy, more crushed up coral bits than sand. Bring bug spray for the evening. Bring LOTS of sunscreen, you'll need it. I saw some painful-looking sunburns while there!

We opted for the Twin Otter flight with Air Seychelles to/from Mahe. I think that's the way to do it, instead of the boat. The day we left it was windy and the water choppy so the boat ride might not have been pleasant. (Note - when we left to fly to Mahe, it was around 6:15 pm. Lucky for us, we were getting on the plane the same time as the baggage was being loaded - and we saw that my husband's bag was not being put on our flight. When we asked, we were told there was not enough room and they would send it on the 7:30 flight. Our flight to Abu Dhabi was leaving at 8:30 so obviously that would not have worked out! They rearranged things and got it on - had we not questioned it, we'd probably have arrived back in Belgium with no bag!)

All in all, a very restful and enjoyable vacation. Highly recommend La Reserve - just go. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Corfu Town, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is situated in the middle of the island ,5 minutes walk from the most beautiful ,in my opinion, beach Coco D'Or and a bus station just outside the hotel for almost all the other famous beaches.The rooms are enormous and very clean.The swimming pool is fabulous and convenient when you return from the beaches as the beach in front of the hotel is not good for swimming.We had half board and we were quite satisfied;some days there was buffet,mediocre I think,but the days with fix menu was excellent.Breakfast could be better,but as a whole the experience was very pleasant.

Room Tip: All the rooms at the maisonnettes.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Seychelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at La Reserve for 3 nights over Christmas as a family. . Although we in fact live in Seychelles , on Mahe, we were in need of some rest. It was a perfect place to spend time as a family. Friendly staff, great food and comfortable rooms. What more can you ask for!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here after a week at the 5 star Constance Ephelia on Mahe. Although we 'dropped' a star when choosing this hotel, the reviews persuaded us. I could not have been happier with La Reserve. The room, food, atmosphere, location were perfect. Service is genuine, and all staff are happy to chat and offer advice for sightseeing. At Ephelia, we sometimes got the impression that the friendliness and service was because staff were paid to be nice to guests; however, at La Reserve there is a genuine warmth from all the staff. Food was fantastic, and the service in the restaurant was far, far better than at Constance Ephelia. The beach at Cote d'Or is fabulous, and only a gentle 10 minute stroll away. Anse Lazio is a short bus ride away - although the wait for the bus may not be so short!

If you are looking for a hotel with charm, character, brilliant value for money, genuinely nice staff, great location, wonderful food (the jetty restaurant is amazing), and a place to just relax for a week or two - I can highly recommend La Reserve.

We stayed at Constance Ephelia for a week, and La Reserve for a week. In answer to the questions "Would you come back here?"; and "Would you recommend this hotel?" then for Ephelia I would answer "maybe", and "probably". For La Reserve I would answer "Definitely" and "Absolutely".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed with our 3 boys. The pool is amazing and the location for snorkling superb. We saw a ray 3 ft off the beach. The staff could not be better in terms of friendly service. We would definitely recommend this hotel as one of the best we have stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for over a week in June 2011 and it was the most relaxing and wonderful experience. Of all the hotels I visited in the Seychelles (there were many) - this hotel deserves a 5* for service and hospitality. It was by far the most friendliest and welcoming hotel I have ever stayed in. From check in all the way through dinner, we were greeted with a smile and and by many on a first name basis. This hotel offers a tranquil relaxed atmosphere and I would highly recommend it for couples who are in need of quiet time. The sunsets are amazing! Plenty of activities for those who want more than to sit by the pool. If you intend on visiting Praslin for a few days definitely choose this hotel. You must visit La Digue and Mahe also!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Reserve Hotel? Share your experiences!