“Five times visitors!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amalia Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koukounaries
Amalia Apartments
You added Amalia Apartments to your Saves list
Koukounaries 37002, Greece   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Koukounaries
United Kingdom
“Five times visitors!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family and I have been staying at the Amalia for our two week summer holiday since 2006, and have loved it. We first found the apartments by chance, and after the first time here were certain we would go back. The brothers that run it; George, Fotis and Dimitris, are all such lovely people and make the stay so much fun.
The apartments are situated down a beaten track, so taking a torch is advisable but as a family we have never used one as the path is literally lit up by the stars (as cheesy as that is!) because the sky is so clear due to no big hotel lights or buildings. The bar area has such a relaxing atmosphere and you have the opportunity to sit under a canvas watching TV of your choice on a big screen, or away from it all enjoying a quiet drink. Most Monday's George hosts a quiz night, which is so much fun we never missed one. At the quiz you can experience Greek dancing, smashing plates and free shots! Plus various fun quiz rounds; would thoroughly recommend for a great night. George's bar does not currently sell food but the drinks are the cheapest on the island!
The apartments are very basic but as you are only using them for sleeping and showering this does not matter much, although you may wish to take some of your own kitchen utensils.
The gardens and pool are extremely well kept by George's gardener (sorry i can't remember his name!) but he is a very nice man who is up early working till late maintaining the area and making it look lovely.
You can choose from an apartment near the pool or a studio-style apartment around the back of the pool/bar facing apartments, and these are generally much quieter, although our first visit was spent in a room facing the pool/bar and we were not affected by any noise at all and enjoyed staying there. There is a little play area/park for younger children near the studio apartments to keep them entertained, and there is also a pool table and a table football table under cover near the pool.
The apartments are about a 15 min walk to the beach (Koukounaries) and a 10 min walk to the bus stop where you can catch regular buses. The road runs through the whole of the island so the bus can take you anywhere you need to go (Bus stop number 0 is the centre of Skiathos Town). As you leave the beaten track along the side of the road there are two mini supermarkets where you can get most items, along with several lovely restaurants. We have visited most of them and would recommend them all (although only visited the Golden Beach Hotel to eat once).
Beaches my family and I have visited are Koukounaries which is beautiful, it has the tendency to get very busy when boat trips come in from other islands but aside from that is such a relaxing and scenic beach to visit, Troulos beach, Kanapitsa, Aselinos, Mandraki and Agia Eleni. All are beautiful, beautiful beaches and the sunsets on Agia Eleni are renown for being incredible. Aselinos is known for being one of the really quiet beaches.
I would 100% recommend Skiathos and the Amalia Apartments for families and couples as we have been so spoilt being able to this island so many times, everywhere we visit now will be compared to this! Would not really recommend for clubbers/people looking for a party holiday as there are only a few clubs in the town and they are not like typical English nightclubs or the nightclubs that are spreading across places like Ibiza and Malia, and George's bar isnt the place for partying until all hours!
We still keep in touch with the family but just to say thank you again for all of our amazing holidays guys!! Hope to be back again very soon!!
Yamas!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

this accomodation ticks all the boxes if you want fun hosts,good advice about where to go and where to eat etc,i would disregard any of the negative comments made on some of the reviews,it is one of the cheaper places to stay on the island certainly at the bar and george,dimitris and fotis work hard to please their guests,on our last visit there we met up with friends we made on a previous holiday there along with meeting many new guests,its that type of place and most people who have stayed there once return and wouldnt consider staying anywhere else,us included,weve come away with good friends who we stay in touch with year round including the owners,anyone who complains about the hotel location and subsequant wildlife should study the brochures harder to begin with,it does say that its situated in a forest,what do those people expect!!!!!! we find it a very peaceful,uncrowded place to stay,and love the little bar setting in the forest,its different to other places on the island and this adds greatly to its charm,we would never stay anywhere else on the island,its a home from home to us

Room Tip: we like the wood built cabins/lodges that are set in pretty gardens on the grounds
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Firstly, I appreciate everyone has a right to an opinion and one mans junk is another mans treasure etc but I do feel that certain reviewers seem to have some personal vendetta against the owners of these apartments as opposed to writing constructive, honest reviews which is what this site is about... rant over!! The track is dark and unfinished down Amalia, but please, I booked my holiday to here a week before departure beginning of August 2011 and as a sensible person, checked Trip advisor to get information like this, weighed up the good and bad and decided I paid the equivalent of a nights stay in a decent 4-5 star hotel to stay here for a whole week and boy when I arrived did I smile. The location is beautiful like another reviewer mentioned, gorgeous pine forest, lovely immaculately tended grounds (the gardener works from dusk to dawn) lovely little pool, cheap bar and our room which was one of the split level chalet style was lovely, yes they are dated, need abit of TLC, and only have 1 loo roll, but tbh, having been to 4 other greek islands, I was even surprised there was a roll at all lol so felt quite spolied. I saw no rats, or major bugs, just the normal little flys n a few mozzies that you always get, I managed to make a meal with the utensils they provided, but I don't cook on holiday as a rule, as yes, it's a holiday! I didn't hear any noise from the bar at all, but I always take ear plugs on holiday just in case, forward planning is a godsend! We walked upto the beach which I can't remember the name of, at night, and the sea was as calm as it was when I went to Barbados, the beaches from the main skiathos road look like something off a thai postcard, they have the clearest, bluest waters I've ever seen in the med and great for snorkelling. We got the sea taxi to the harbour a few times and did some serious shopping which was lovely, definately recommend that. We ate in 3 of the restaurants in Kouk, Big Bad wolf was nice and two other greek ones down the road which George recommended, both did not disappoint! I noticed it is alot more expensive in Skiathos than other greek countries, but when you pull up to the harbour and see the size of the yaghts moored up, these peeps can obviously afford it lol. All in all, I absolutely loved it at the Amalia and in Skiathos and would without a doubt go again and stay at Amalia, we did get delayed on return by 6 hours but Olympic put us up in the Lovely hotel overlooking the bay with all you can eat buffet so again, hats off to Olympic for doing that.. Lastly, with Skiathos having the shortest runway probably in the whole of europe, you can stand about 200ft away from where they take off... I would recommend taking off your sunglasses if you stand behind them thats all I'm saying... ENJOY!

Room Tip: away from the bar apparently so others have said!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I travelled to the amalia appartments in june with my girlfriend and we both had a fantastic time.
The amalia appartments are clean but basic appartments which is what we expected for a self catering holiday resort.
The hotel and grounds are very nicely planted with traditional greek white washed appartments and a small relaxed pool area.
George and fotis are great hosts and made us feel very welcome during are stay. We had some great laughs with them and other guests after our days out which made our holiday experience that little bit better.
As for the bad reviews about the amalia if your expecting a greek Hilton hotel this isn't the place for you but if you want a nice base to explore the beautiful island and have a few cheap beers when you get back with friendly faces i would recommend the amalia.
I hope to visit george and fotis again soon at the amalia for another great holiday, many thanks.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I am adding a late review having read some of the more disdainful recent reviews, I feel Amalia needs some good feedback.

My female friend and I booked a late deal through Olympic flying from Birmingham. God knows the name of the airline, the plane was about 30 years old and had broken seats, arm rests and tables which they blamed on footballers! (Were rangers in Europe last season?)

Upon arrival we were separated from our cases which we were promised would be at the accommodation on arrival. I think we waited about half and hour. We were greeted by the delightful Fotis, younger brother of George and escorted a four or five minute walk down an unmade road. We never even used the torch we'd brought, but appreciate that with children or older people it would be useful.

The setting of Amalia was perfect. It is set in a picturesque pine forest and the smell is delightful. Also despite being the favourite meal of mosquitoes in every country I've visited I had only a handful of bites, barely any by my usual standards.

Some of the guests are regulars. Most of them are lovely and friendly although one or two act like they own the place. Those that are regulars are useful for restaurant tips, as is owner George.

I find it hard to object to different people on holiday as we are all trying to enjoy ourselves. Perhaps some people pitch up at a 2 star basic Greek self catering apartment complex expecting to meet the country club set, private villa exclusivity and furnishings from Oka. Perhaps some reviewers need a grip on reality.

Yes the accommodation is tired and basic and could do with a refurb. The kitchen in ours especially so, but we had no intention of cooking at all, it might be a problem if you did. I also think the one loo roll is rather stupid in terms of economies as it clearly annoys travellers enough to mention it and thereby puts people off. I wouldn't let it affect my holiday.

We did get a maisonette, which has a bedroom in an open plan loft, which saved us from any clumsiness when changing.

The music is loud and does go on all days, however when we were there we noticed the pool was quiet during the day.

The staff are very friendly and exuberant. The only time I noticed George being quiet was when the water went off and he switched from playing jovial host to working like mad to get the problem fixed. I'd say this last 2-3 hours

Places to eat:

Captain Mikes was the best for me. Lovely seafood and great salads and the wine was very drinkable too (this was the only place I would disagree with George on)
The runway restaurant was also nice; superb garlic dips with courgettes and good wine. Have the specialty baked in vine leaves.
Mueses hotel had a nice restaurant with good seafood.
Strophilia was disappointing as the Kelftiko was poor.
Big Bad Wolf, near to Amalia was decent enough for basic stuff.

The bars in Koukounaries are okay, but nothing to write home about. It is definitely worth taking a trip into Skiathos town to explore and have a change of seen.

Also, thanks to Scott who did a free and very welcome whisky tasting during our trip. It was a very generous and nice thing to do.

Slàinte mhath

One last moan, Olympic's customer service is dire (this is the company as opposed to the pleasant rep we had). The suitcase thing is never fully explained and is to be honest it is a legal nightmare waiting to happen. The thing that annoyed me the most was despite paying for exit row seats, we never got them on the way home. Also there was a woman at the airport, Swiss lady iirc whose chief delight seemed to be being rude to passengers and charging for extra luggage weight. If you are delayed or even fancy eating at the taverna at the airport, I wouldn't get too excited, the food was rank and beers the most expensive of the holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

2nd trip to Amalia this year and loved it. Although there were only 14 people staying there we had a great time even my wife's parents who are both retired. my wife and I work hard all year and look forward to our break from our grown up children and grandchildren as a result we let what's left of our hair down and really enjoy ourselves. Otis and George are the hosts with the mosts and will play any music you request and also music that others request, the rest of the time is at the barmans discresion 11am till midnight after which the music is turned down to a barely audible volume. Unfortunatley the acoustics are extremely good around the bar area and this can upset guests around the facing apartments who like to be in bed for 9pm. We met the Amalia gang for the 1st time this year and had a great time a few late nights were had swapping stories about the island and guests that we had met seperately on previous visits. Spiderman was also there as well as the naked phantom on his bike,George is still the cheapest bar on the island as one couple discovered for two nights and then complained about the noise after being poorly for two days (HYPOCRITES) The apartments are basic and in need of some TLC but you get what you pay for the Amalia is not only the cheapest bar but also the cheapest accomodation that said we go for the people not luxury most of the guests are friendly and all of the staff are very friendly you are not ignored and are encouraged to join in the fun. Have already made plans to go next year 1st two weeks in July for a mad and exciting holiday.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter,
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
frome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I too was a guest at the Amalia in late September along with my husband & 3 other couples who were friends of ours. This was our 9th visit as we now class this as our second home and more important than that we consider the owners to be very close friends.
I found one review to be malicious, slanderous and in the most part untrue. It was written on 16th October by Simon who I had the displeasure of meeting while we were there. I am not going to mention the condition of the rooms as I think we all have certain expectations and opinions & I will leave that to the individual. However there are issues that I would like to raise. I have never seen a rat in my room or evidence that there has been one there but they are everywhere in Skiathos and the bar is outside. Like beer in this country the bottles are stored outside and we all know the dangers of drinking straight from a bottle. Use a glass, they are NOT dirty as suggested.
As to the unruly guests, I think that Simon has forgotten conveniently that he was one of them drinking with his partner until 5am himself on at least 3 occasions that I saw. The music was turned down low at midnight so as not to disturb the few other guests that were there but the sound of laughter could be heard. He also seems to have forgotten that he left his camera in a taverna & that it was certainly not stolen at the Amalia.
Mentioning Sam was really below the belt. She is one of the nicest people that I have ever met & sorry Simon but she is not a rep as you suggested. She also had a job to go to & was not up until 6am. Her boyfriend, not the barman but in fact a member of the family who own Amalia.
Yes we had a great holiday with wonderful friends.
I do not wish to enter into a slanging match I just want a few facts putting straight.
If you want a fun holiday that is not 18-30 as we are all betwen 41 & 52 (Along with my daugh ters of 21, 24,& 9) book in at the Amalia

Room Tip: If you like peace & quiet & a big room choose block C, D or E
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Amalia Apartments? Share your experiences!