Upon reviewing the various room offered in this hotel we decided on the "Superior Sea Front Main Building" room. The rate of this room for our off season stay was the most expensive of the rooms other than the suites. Upon arrival we were handed keys for 3 rooms all room numbers were between 600 - 626. We were absolutely sure that we received rooms in the 6th floor. Well, we were mistaken! As it turned out, to reach our rooms we had to go down by stairs from the main floor. NO ELEVATOR to these "superior" rooms... Since I have great difficulties climbing and going down stairs after a foot injury, we asked for rooms reachable with an elevator. At this point we had the "pleasure" of being treated by the rudest reception clerk we had ever met. He claimed that those are the superior sea view rooms and it was my responsibility to check in advance if the rooms are reached by elevator. And, he added, that we paid for it and it is our tough luck - no other rooms are available. The manager of the reception, who at least was polite, intervened but wouldn't do anything to change the rooms. The outcome was that for 5 days of my vacation I had to suffer climbing and going down by stairs with enormous effort and pain.
Once in the "superior" room we couldn't open the safe. I pressed the button on the phone that says "reception". but this function was out of order. I tried "houskeeping" - same result! Maybe "room service"? - no chance. Up the stairs again (with the bad foot), and asked the receptionist to take care of the problem which she did.
We were a goup of 5 and occupied 3 adjacent "superior" rooms. 2 rooms received a nice fruit basket, the third did not. Why?
WI FI. The hotel claims that all rooms have Wi Fi connections. This is true in the mornings. From noon on you can forget it. From noon the Wi Fi announces the there is "limited access" and it is impossible to receive any connection in the room. It was like that all 5 days we stayed there. I braught it to the attention of the reception who promised to fix the problem. They didn't. The Wi Fi operates very well 24 hours a day in the lobby. This required climbing again from the "superior" room using the stairs (no elevator) with the bad leg.
On the last day we had to leave at 5 AM to catch a flight. We got up at 4. My husband took a shower and I went to take a shower after him only to realize that we had only 1 bath towel in our "superior" room...
The "superior" rooms are of good size, nice balcony. The decor is a bit dreary, too brown and lucks something lively. The flat TV is good and offers a nice selection of channels in many languages, The bathrooms are OK and clean. The corridor leading to the "superior" rooms is much too dark and it is almost impossible to read the room numbers.
The positive sides: The hotel lies on a beatiful beach, lots of sun beds, The grounds are nice. The reception desk personel were extremely helpful and nice (except the receptionist upon arrival). Breakfast was OK. The Alegro Beach Bar is really nice.
Will we go again to Kontokali? I doubt it.
- Also Known As:
- Kontokali Bay Hotel Kontokali
- Kontokali Bay
- Kontokali Bay Hotel
- Kontokali Bay Hotel Corfu
- Kontokali Bay Resort And Spa Corfu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- KONTOKALI BAY RESORT & SPA is a Hotel-Bungalow complex on the central eastern shoreline of the emerald Isle of Corfu, situated only 6 kms. from the island’s capital, Corfu Town. Built on a densely wooded peninsula and on a natural incline, the main building of the Kontokali Bay overlooks both the sparkling blue waters of the Ionian Sea that separates Corfu from the taupe, coastal mountains of the Greek mainland and the Gouvia Marina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, HostelWorld, Otel, HostelBookers and Hotels.com so you can book your Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.