“We love La Luna!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Troulos B&B and Inns
West Yorkshire, England
“We love La Luna!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Wow what an amazing place! I travelled with my 6 year old son and we both had a fabulous holiday. I cannot fault anything at La Luna - the hill was manageable even with a dodgy knee as the steps from the road onto the complex cut out the hill somewhat. The views from every room are absolutely stunning over the beach and mountains. We were given a maisonette which was beautiful & very spacious, no. 33 over the bar - no noise heard either. Our apartment was cleaned every day & the bedding/towels changed every other day, no-one could seriously complain about that - or anything come to think about it! Dimitris is a great host and he & Di-anna made good basic food at the bar - & very generous portions to boot. The pool area was spotless courtesy of Dionysos, who also looked after the beautiful gardens around La Luna. There is a TV lounge as well as a TV by the pool, but they are not on all the time - just when the World Cup was on & only if people wanted to watch. The beach is a leisurely 10 minute stroll away by road - or a 30 second flight down the goat-path! It's steep but do-able.
La Luna is about 20 minutes out of Skiathos centre where there are some lovely shops and is busier. The buses are regular and good. Children under 6 travel free. Troulos is a wonderfully quiet, relaxed resort - perfect for me as I hate crowds & want to get away from it all, but if you want lots of noise and action choose elsewhere, and leave La Luna to us!!
I travelled from Thessaloniki and came over from Volos by boat, but as I booked the accommodation online through First Choice I still had Steve as my rep. He is a very good rep and helped me out with a phone charger as mine wouldn't work, but I booked a boat trip to Alonnissos and Skopelos at the harbour as it was half the price & my son travelled free - it was a great day out. The BBQ at La Luna was excellent too - lively & great fun with live music & dancing with amazing food - don't miss it!!!!
La Luna & Skiathos are fantastic, we will definitely go back - if you like peace and quiet and enjoy beautiful views at a top-notch accommodation with excellent attentive staff, do not hesitate to book La Luna to enjoy a fabulous relaxing holiday.

• Stayed June 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

views from apartment are stunning, but Troulos is quite hilly, the hill to the apartments we named cardiac hill, Dimitri is great & also our rep Steve was very helpful. We had some wonderful meals at the green meadow, a family run taverna who if you fancy a meal that is not on the menu they will do it for you. A lovely quiet resort but very hilly.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
midgham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

just had a great week there bar team great and food cheap in hotel, pool good and quiet as most poeple went to the beach during our stay best first choice holiday i have had i would return but after a week there is not much else to do on the island. look after the housekeepers and they will look after you and pay for the aircon and your stay will be great

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Northamptonshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Well after reading many reviews before our trip I must admit I was a little concerned, but I should not have worried!! The hill to the appartment is a little steep but well worth the climb to enjoy the vista. The view from every room is stunning, the best I have ever had. The appartment is clean & tidy with a adequately equiped kitchen area. Dimitri works very long hours but is always happy & cheerfull. We met some lovey people & had a great holiday. Recomend 'banana beach' - again a bit of a treck but well worth it. Very trndy & cosmopolitan

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
blackburn uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Worst Greek accomodation and worst Greek Island. This place is so bad i cant even bother writing much. Troulos is dead, la luna poor quality and skiathos so expensive its untrue. Back to Lindos in Rhodes for me soon - cant wait !!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
manchester- england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

ive never been to any greek islands, my first visit wont be my last, transfare from the airport with out tour rep Jackie was ok, on arrival at the complex, we got dropped off at the bottom of the hill, everyone that arrived let out a loud "oh my god, look at the hill", believe me the hill got harder as the week wore on, As you go up the steps and turn to the sea view, it is so worth the heart palpatations, one word,,,,, AMAZING,,,,,,,the apartments where at the top of another hill, the walls were covered in jasmine and the smell at night was awsome.
The room was basic, but clean, a word of advice , if you have room in your case take some hangers with you. the hole in bathroom floor concerned me, as we got bit with mozzies all night, and i think they where coming up through this hole, other patrons at the complex said no matter what they used on the mozzies they were still getting bitten, some quite badley.
the complex is very relaxing, and the holiday overall was just what was needed at this time of year,
The supermarket near to bus stop 20, was very expensive , dirty , flies everywhere, a clean reasonable supermarket is at bus stop no 3.
We booked 2 boat trips with the rep, dear but well worth the day out ,
Bus stops are numbered 0-26 walk down to 20 going into town, and go to 21 coming back so you walk down to the steps, The most popular bus stop is no 4 going into and out of skiathos town,
TAXI,S will stop all the time, the busfare into town from no 20 stop was 1.80 euros, each, taxis will take you for 2 euros each, going back into town, as they dont want to go back empty, barter its what is expected.
Money, some of the cash machines are quite unrelieable, the one we used was in the old port area, facing the marina, it has a strange K shape,
Eating out, we tried a few tavernas, but the best by far was PORTABELLO'S, lovely staff great food, nice to look at as well.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I won’t make too much mention of the fantastic views and location as others have already mentioned these. The dozen or so power lines and three telegraph pole mounted transformers did detract slightly but hey this is Greece, so it goes with the territory.

I was quite concerned after reading the comments relating to the hill & steps particularly as we had an upstairs room and I had broken my foot just under 3 weeks prior to arrival. In reality, I could walk to and from the bus stops and local supermarket laden with the obligatory bottles of water without too much difficulty and managed the incline or steps to the property if I took my time. I don’t think the location would really present a problem unless you were particularly unfit or ill.

On arrival, we were offered air conditioning at the exorbitant price of €100 for two weeks (£91 at Sept 2009 exchange rates) Fortunately we declined the offer which would have been as waste anyway, as we would have only used it on two occasions due to the cooler weather during most of our stay.

We did take up the offer of the safety deposit box at a correspondingly high price of €60 for two weeks (£54) The box was located inside the wardrobe and fastened to a small loose shelf that just rested on plastic lugs. The whole assembly, shelf and safe could simply be lifted out of the wardrobe!

One thing to be aware of is that the air conditioning and safety deposit box have to be paid for in cash. We had assumed that we would be able to pay for these items with a credit card. Had we taken the air conditioning we would have run seriously short of currency.

We also found it difficult to cash traveller’s cheques on the island. The local supermarkets declined to accept them as payment for goods and one of the banks we tried had a €15 fixed charge regardless of the amount of currency exchanged. An exchange bureau at the harbour charged a 2% commission.
Our bedroom had a small bathroom equipped with a three quarter bath and shower, and surprisingly for Greece a shower curtain that prevented the entire room becoming wet after use. Hot / warm water was generally available even on cloudy days. I suspect, due to the occasional aroma of fuel oil that the system has an oil fired system to back up the solar panels. The outbuilding with the solar panels was close to our room and contained some sort of machinery that whilst not excessively noisy was irritating as it operated in one second bursts at varying intervals, sometimes as close as every 4 or 5 seconds during the day, but less so during the night. (We probably noticed this more as we had the windows open because of not having the air conditioning)
During our stay (Middle two weeks of September 09) there was a considerable amount of rain particularly at night. The fabric covered, foam filled sun lounger cushions were always left out and were particularly effective at absorbing and retaining water, as a result they remained soaking wet for several days afterwards. The surface looked dry until used, whereupon the water was squeezed out of the foam and soaked the occupant.

The room looked reasonably clean when we arrived, after a while we noticed that there were some cobwebs covered with dust around the legs of a bedside table, and the two cooking rings in the kitchenette were swimming in oil. Most mornings the cleaning took about 30 seconds one person emptied the bins whist another made the bed. In addition, a couple of times each week the bath, sinks & WC were cleaned and the floor swept. We had a change of bedding and towels mid week during our first week, but not during the second. One day the cleaners had a altercation that lasted for a good part of the morning, they slammed doors and shouted and screamed at each other, despite an attempt at intervention by the guy responsible for maintenance.

Dimitri who looks after the bar and food rents the privilege of operating the facilities from the “big boss” and then runs them as his own business. He is very friendly and works incredibly hard. We reckon he only has 4 or 5 hours sleep per night as he closes the bar when the last person leaves, and is open again for breakfast. He is very friendly and the Greek night and barbeque make for an enjoyable evening. The bar prices aren’t the cheapest on the island but seem to be par for the course. A cup of instant coffee costs €3 the same as a beer.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Luna Apartments and Studios? Share your experiences!