“FANTASTIC MEAL!...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Feock
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A pretty, thatched traditional pub and restaurant, the Punchbowl and Ladle has masses of character both inside and out. Parts of the building date back to the 15th century and during the 17th century it was a hostelry for travellers and mariners crossing the river Fal on the King Harry Ferry. Legend has it that part of the building was employed as a customs house, and the original fireplace in the bar was used to destroy confiscated contraband! Today, Graham & Jacqui Hill and their team welcome you warmly into the pub that has two bars, a large dining area and plenty of cosy nooks and corners for people to sit in comfort.
“FANTASTIC MEAL!...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I travelled down from Plymouth to the Punch Bowl and Ladel to celebrate my dads birthday. The food here was delicious my dad and I had the homemade burger with extra cheese and bacon.The meal comes with a selection of sides including homemade chips, side salad, onion rings, coleslaw and three different flavoured dips. The homemade onion rings were awsome, and a great a complement to the meal. One of my sisters had the steak which was also superb while my other sister had a selection of side dishes as one main. I had the choc sundae for desert which was very nice although I would have preferred a choc fudge cake or choc brownie,, infact any type of choc cake but none was on the menu which was a shame. The service here was first class, the waitress was very attentive and polite. I would definitely come here again, and will definitely be recommending this place to freinds.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Great food but over priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Yes I would recommend the place as the food and service are great.

My only gripe is that the food is quite simpy over priced. The pub will claim to be serving quality/rosette grade food (which I would question) therefore priced reasonably.

Truth is they are basically catering for the Mylor/Restronguet/Yacht owning/London second home type so they can charge whatever they wish

Visited December 2012
Bournemouth
“Refreshingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Three of us visited on a Sunday lunchtime when the car park was full but staff soon found a quiet table with menus and our drinks following quickly on.

Staff were attentive, friendly, efficient and had tried various dishes on the menu and so were able to offer what turned out to be accurate advice.

The food that followed - not suspiciously quickly or painfully slowly - was freshly prepared, freshly cooked, of very ample proportion and well above standard pub fare: it had obviously had some thought put into it. My chicken curry, for instance, was not like any chicken curry that I had seen before and it would not win any culinary award bit it was well seasoned, tasty, had lots of chicken in it and was nicely filling. Fortunately I just had sufficient room for a crumble that was full of fruit - with real custard - and that had not been microwaved.

I am surprised to read that others have been disappointed by the Punchbowl - we ate there last year and had found it to be good food and value.
A very pleasant meal in warm and very pleasant surroundings with very pleasant staff and certainly - for us - good value. Nice beer too. A great shame that there are not more pubs up to this standard.

Five stars is a bit generous but, overall. probably fairer than 4.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
travexLondon, Owner at Punchbowl and Ladle, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and for your positive comments which we will pass onto our team. All feedback is important to us and your comments help us greatly to assess what we do. In the hospitality industry it is hard to meet everyones expectations although our team will always try to do so. We are very much a pub that serves locally sourced, fairly priced food in a comfortable atmosphere - we are glad you enjoyed it!
“Great food, a very cosy place to have a drink, top notch service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I ended up in the Punchbowl by a recommendation from a ferry driver and it was worth it. Excellent service, they were very welcoming and attentive. It has a really great family atmosphere and the food doesn't disappoint. The portion sizes were generous and everything you could want was already on the plate, no sneaky extra costs. I would recommend the charcuterie board sharer and the beef burger which was incredibly tasty and wholesome.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited this pub this evening for a family meal. It's the first time in many years that we have visited this place and we won't be returning in a hurry. Firstly the "tempters" of potato skin crisps with sun dried tomatoes certainly weren't very tempting, with the tomatoes being very poor quality. Secondly two main courses of Beef Lasagne were lukewarm and had to be returned for reheating also the Chicken curry was not very tasty, mediocre at best. Thirdly, two coffees at the end of the meal were again lukewarm and not pleasant, finally both the ladies and gents toilets smelt of stale urine with the gents having urine covering part of the floor, therefore being walked back through the restaurant! All in all not a good way to spend hard earnt money! Can't complain about the desserts but not much can go wrong with icecream and sticky toffee pudding! It's a shame as the pub is very relaxing and comfortable but we won't be returning anytime soon.

Thank you for taking the time to post your first review on trip advisor. All feedback is important to us as it helps us to improve what we do.
Please accept our apologies given on the night of your visit for the errors we made - we hope the speed with which we resolved the not quite hot enough went some way to putting things right. Obviously we aim not to make mistakes but letting us know at the time as you did gives us the opportunity to resolve things while you were there.