“Great Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wishaw, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

7 of us spent a great 2 weeks at the Alykanus Beach Hotel. We eat out everyday and everynight, the restuarants in Alykanus and Alykes were excellent and great value for money.
The staff could not be more helpful. Graet holiday and a great place

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the bar it can be a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper. All music etc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was the first holiday ever to Greece and it is fair to say that the Hotel was perfect for what my boyfriend and I wanted. The rooms were spacious and clean with a lovely balcony from which the views were just perfect. The bathrooms were not so great-but that is what is typically found throughout the island and the mainland too, and to be fair to the Hotel, it was clean and to a great standard for Greece.
The Hotel has the most perfect location, with it being just outside the busy part of the town but with numerous restaurants within 1 minute walking distance. Or if you didn't fancy going out of the complex for the night, the bar provided very good and reasonably priced meals.
It was also evident that the Hotel really did cater for all ages, providing a safe and fun environment for all. Evening entertainment was provided and although such things like karaoke nights and pub quizzes usually make me cringe beyond belief, it has to be said that the lovable DJ, Dave, made the few nights we stuck around the complex extremely enjoyable.
However, the main highlight of the place is its proximity to the sea! A couple of footsteps of the garden and you are in the med. Yet this still remained very safe for children as the waters are shallow for a reasonable stretch.
Additionally the boyfriend and myself were extremely impressed with the range of trips available through the Thomas Cooke rep at the hotel and through the hotel we saw turtles off the coast of Laganas, were able to visit Zante town in the evening when the shops and restaurants are open (as they are shut from 2-6PM) and it is much cooler. We also went on the "Greek Night", an incredible trip to Ancient Olympia and of course, we were also able to visit the famous Shipwreck Beach, all made possible through the hotel.
Additionally, we were amazed at friendliness and the helpful attitude of the hotel staff who just couldn't be faulted! We were particularly thankful to the receptionists who tipped up off about the best and cheapest place to hire a good car for a few days-which was excellent as the car gave us the opportunity to explore the less touristy parts of the island.
Overall it has to be said that the Holiday was just perfect in every manner, which was mainly made so by the Hotel (and the air conditioning unit in our room-although 45 euro extra, it was well worth the 2 weeks of near constant use!). I would defiantly recommend Alykanas Beach Hotel to anyone who wants a wonderfully relaxing place to a wonderful, picturesque place.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the bottom floor as these are reportedly noisy and with echo-y corridors at night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

First off, I would agree the location of this hotel is fantastic. It really is on the beach and the views are brilliant. We stayed in a 2nd floor apartment and looked out over the pool and the brilliant sea views, which are stunning with Kefalonia visible on the horizon.
I would also say that the hotel staff were courteous and helpful when needed. My daughter loved the pool and my son made great use of the beach and crystal clear waters by snorkelling daily.

However, I do not have many more positive things to say on my week long stay at the Alykanas Beach Hotel. I will keep my remaining comments based on fact and actual experience, and yes I did report and have some of the following resolved. That’s not the point. I'm on holiday and I have paid alot of money for my family of 4 to enjoy ourselves, without feeling the need to camp out in the reception reporting problems!

The standard of the accommodation is poor with electrical power points not working, bulbs in lights out, broken glasses left in the kitchen cupboards for us to use, lack of cutlery (it’s a self catering apartment!), no cereal bowls etc, the condition of the kitchen equipment is best described as ‘well used’, drawers missing handles so they can’t be opened, bath taps hanging off the wall with the plumbing exposed, a toilet that leaks from the u-bend when flushed and a drainage vent in the bathroom floor that lets all that is supposed to drain away .. back in to the bathroom and all over the floor, no plugs for sinks, oh and the drainage smell under the sink and in the bathroom! phew. The surfaces were tacky to the touch and needed wiping over before the apartment felt like I could settle and unpack.

The facilities are not quite as described, i.e Satellite TV is one channel and Internet access is a couple of very old looking PC’s in the reception area that i didn't see working only to be used at extra cost.

The pictures on the website are old. For example the central fountain (center piece) in the main courtyard is not working and hasn't for a while judging by the amount of dirty water sat in the bottom. Water features outside the front reception are not functioning and on the whole you get the feeling that what you have seen on the website & brochure are not the reality.

‘The Facilities’ that you would expect are going to cost extra are extortionate! €60 for a week of air con!!? I wouldn't advise the safety deposit box either .. after paying for the extras you certainly won’t have any money to put in it. I felt like I was a cash cow just being milked!! The maid service was dire, on one occasion I had stained covers and sheets put on. The dirty ones taken off were cleaner and on another occasion only one out 3 beds was changed.

The snack bar and on site bar are a rip off. I paid €25-30 for a ‘snack’ for 4. Apple juice €3, small bottle of pepsi €2.50 The food is rushed (as is the abrupt service) and poor quality. Not at all worth what is paid. TOP TIP - go to Letsos supermarket about 400m in the town. After being stung twice at the snack bar we spent the same amount in the supermarket and had 2-3 days lunches from that.

‘Free sun loungers’ the brochure says. The hotel has a no towels on sun loungers before 10am policy. Try getting a sun lounger after 8.30am.. it’s a joke! My partner witnessed sun loungers being taken from the poolside and dragged on to the beach! The staff offered to remove towels if you go to reception, then there is a confrontational situation when people come back to find their towels and belongings removed. Simply put be at the pool between 7.30am and 8.30am if you want one. Personally, I believe the problem lies else where....

The hotel is next to ‘Ammos bar’ on the beach. On the beach and on the drive way entrance to the hotel there are signs.. “welcome to all’ it says.. and that is certainly taken up. You can see people using the bar, snack bar, sun loungers and pool that are not even paying to stay at the hotel. People come off the beach and use the ‘facilities’. I have paid and my partner can’t even get a sun lounger. Makes you wonder why I paid for this hotel. Could I have stayed in a cheaper one.. had a better apartment and used this hotel’s key selling point - its beach front location and pool?? hhmm.

In summary - The location is stunning and views amazing. However poor accommodation standards, ridiculous charges for ‘the facilities’, expensive yet poor food and drink on site and the situation with getting a ‘free sun lounger’ to feel comfortable in the pool area of the hotel I'm paying alot of money to be in equate to a disappointing experience. In no way did we allow this to spoil our holiday and i would add that i wasn't expecting 4 or 5 star standards in a 3 star hotel. This was simply not as expected, advertised or reviewed. This does not represent good value for money. We would not return or recommend this accommodation.

dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just back from Alykanas Beach Hotel. This is my 4 th visit to this Hotel. Staff are fantastic and the Hotel is superb. One must remember we are holidaying in Greece and on one of its Islands. The sewerage in this country is not great and I have had this sort of problem and I have been to a lot of the Islands in my day. I think one should try to investigate the holiday before you actually go. I have heard so many negatives recently and I think its a little unfair. The D.J has now lost his job because of it. I have not heard loud music till 2 am each morning on a regular basis. I think it may happen Sundays and Thursday more as people arrive and let their hair down when they get there. After all it is a holiday and don't put up with it if it happens every night. Criticism of a negative kind is so easy to do and the written word can be very damning and hurtful. So if you have a complaint try deal with it on site and don't let it bug you or ruin your holiday. If you allow this to happen you will certainly come home and lambast the place. I have loved it from the first time I encountered and I will always go back as I feel my children are so safe and happy there.
Really sorry for those who have not had the same experience

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Recently returned after our 8th stay and have just booked for next year. The hotel is right on the beach and is run by the friendliest staff imaginable. The rooms are basic and could do with some attention but as we spent so little time in them this is a minor criticism. The village is full of excellent restaurants and prices are very reasonable. If you want a location that is second to none, stunning views, friendly staff and good value for money then this us the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013
rotherham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

we have just come back from our holiday at Alykanas Beach, we had spent 100 euros before putting the key in the door on air con and the safe, the rooms are very poor and yes they do smell, I bought bleach and poured it down the grate in the old tiered bathroom, our room was right next to the bar and the staff even admit there is a real big problem with the music, it ends up driving you mad from about 4 till around 2 in the morning the same music blasting out and people screaming and shouting like there the only people on holiday, we bought a self catering holiday but theres no chance you can self cater, in our room we had 2 rusty elec rings, 2 forks, knives, spoons, and one old burnt wooden spoon!! not even a microwave, forget a sunbed you have got no chance, so add on 5 euros a day for one on the beach, also the bar prices are disgusting 2.50 for a really small bottle of coke and 3 euro for a bag of lays crisps if you want a snack 9 euros for a small pizza its a right rip off and the sob stories from the staff are unreal!! good points great location beautiful sea and nice local resturants but come on Alykanas you cant sit back and rely on the location.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have just returned from a week at this hotel which pretty much ruined our holiday. I travelled with my partner and 5 year old son. Personally I found this hotel to be like a scene from Benidorm and not what I was looking for in a holiday at all.

In my opinion the location, Alykanas, is lovely, and I will leave reviews for all of the lovely restaurants we ate, and places we visited separately. But the actual hotel was pretty appalling.

We thought that we couldn't go wrong with this hotel with all of the good reviews, and obviously it is a popular choice with many returning guests, but I think people should be cautious when booking.

On arriving we were very disappointed to see the room, we were expecting basic, but it was smelly and musky, dingy, tired looking, everything discoloured and very old, the bathroom was dark and dingy and tiny. Next disappointment was that we had been allocated a room on the ground floor right opposite some communal toilets, the bar and pool tables, being literally 2 metres away from our balcony. We opened the balcony doors to hear music blasting right outside.

We asked if we could swap rooms but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked and this could not be accommodated until the 5th night of a 7 night stay.

We decided to freshen up and head out, used the shower (there is no bath only a shower, not really a problem), the shower literally has a tiny basin around it and a shower curtain which is too short. Only being on for a few minutes and the shower had completely flooded the floor, it absolutely stunk of sewerage coming up from the plug hole which you basically had to then stand in to take a shower. This also makes it really dangerous as not even provided with so much as a rubber bath matt to stand on when stepping out of the shower.

I soon realised that all of the taps were rusty and crumbling in my hand, would hardly turn on or off most of the time or the water sprayed in every direction other than straight downwards.

We headed out to grab a drink and check out the pool area, the pool area is fine, the loud music bothered me a little but I understand that some people like it. But what we found was that there were absolutely no sunbeds to sit on. We ordered some drinks from the bar which were way overpriced costing around 13 euros for 2 orange juices and a local beer, we also found that the bar staff would not collect the 15 euro we left despite sitting there for a good 20 minutes as they wanted their 2 euro tip, but the minute we got up they collected meaning we didn't get our change. We always tip a good restaurant, but not for 3 overpriced drinks within our first 2 hours of arriving and at our own hotel!

We headed out later to look for a nice restaurant and it was such a relief to see all of the lovely places to eat after being in that hotel, we ate at Vagi's on our first night which was fab and found many more lovely restaurants afterwards.

We headed back early to the hotel after having a wander round, one good point is the hotel has a lovely playground around the side of the hotel and my son played and we met a lovely Greek family. Only downside is the playground isn't used much apart from early evening and then the sprinklers come on way before it's dark during the cooler later evening, this may be because it was so hot and there isn't really a shaded area, might not be a bad idea to shade part of the playground or put the sprinklers on after dark as many times we came back from eating out and would have liked to use the playground in the evening but couldn't because the sprinklers were on, and then it was too hot to use much during the day.

We had a stroll down to the beach that evening, the beach is lovely, the water is very safe for children to play and the sunbeds are cheap to hire at 5 euros, the only thing that ruins the beach is the Brits leaving all of their litter and fags ends all over it which in my opinion is absolutely disgusting and it is certinaly not the cleanest beach for this reason.

Back at the hotel the music was still blaring out until all hours, we fell asleep and woke up around 1am and it was still going. I've no idea why they thought it was suitable to dump us in this room with a 5 year old child. What makes it worse is there were only a handful (maybe 10) people out in the bar area at night, and that was every night, so the music obviously isn't catering for many people so I see no need for it.

I can only say that the next few days at the hotel were hell. There is no hot water after around 8-8.30am or 6pm in the evening. There is no chance of getting a sunbed after 8.30 am as all of the sun worshippers are out catching the first rays first thing so we were pretty much unable to use our pool. The shower flooded everytime we used it, the music and karaoke kept us awake at night, we spoke to the rep who is only interested in selling excursions and was no help at all.

The only thing that salvaged the holiday was getting away from the hotel, we walked up to other little bars which provided nice pools were you actually had a place to sit and stick your towel and bag.

We did choose to move rooms once we could although the reception staff were a bit funny with us about this. Our new room was like heaven getting away from looking at pool tables and toilets every morning, we were overlooking the park this time. But the new room was no without its problems. It smelt like something was rotting, one of the beds looked as though it had wee stains under the sheets and we realised that although the sheets had been changed, the mattress covers had not, there was mould throughout the bathroom, although the drainage was much better in this shower so the flooding was less, the hot and cold water played up, sometimes no cold water would come out of the cold taps at all the you could be in the shower and the water would suddenly go scalding hot.

I think overall the hotel just needs a massive refurb. The rooms located opposite the toilets and bar are just unsuitable and whoever gets allocated those rooms draws the short straw as it's noisy, smelly and with no privacy unless you want to sit in the dark with the curtains closed. Basic things like the taps being rusty, sockets discoloured and hanging off walls, mould around kitchen sink and over bathroom walls and ceilings, tv remotes don't work, patchy paintwork, poor drainage, the flusher was broken in the toilet in the first room. People have commented that the hotel is clean, not in my opinion, I sat on a chair to find it still covered with sand from the last occupant, taps felt grubby to touch. Yes the beds are made and floors and mopped but it's not 'clean', and the showers are just plain unsafe.

Another couple of gripes. The air conditioning is 8 euros a day and worse you have to 'hire' the safe which is already in the room. I understand that this is usual of going abroad but really, why do they need to charge 25 euros just to give you a key to a box that's in your room?! Just to keep your valuables safe, surely they'd want their residents to keep their money and belongings safe knowing that we often come with large amounts of cash, just feels like they want to shaft us at every chance. We hired a fan for 2 euros a day from the little shop up the road to keep us cool, much better value and not putting the money directly into the hotels greedy pockets.

I'd possibly visit Alykanas again, but never this hotel, there is another hotel just across the way, the Alykanas 'Village' hotel which doesn't cost a lot more and is a million times nicer.

I think one of the main things is this hotel isn't really suitable for familes, it was sold as a family hotel but it was probably more suited to large groups of teenagers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Alykanas Beach Apart-Hotel? Share your experiences!