“I can understand the mixed reviews but this place will grow on you” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grecotel Mykonos Blu Hotel

You added Grecotel Mykonos Blu Hotel to your Saves list
Grecotel Mykonos Blu Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Psarou Beach, Psarou 84600, Greece   |
Special Offer
Exclusive Mykonos Deals
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Psarou
Brough, United Kingdom
“I can understand the mixed reviews but this place will grow on you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I was a little concerned about the mixed reviews of Mykonos Blu but went ahead and booked it anyway, and I can truthfully understand why some reviews are dreadful and some are excellent. Here are my thoughts. As far as location, this hotel has an excellent position overlooking Psarou beach and easy access to the airport and Mykonos old town which are both about 15 minutes away. There are only about 32 taxis on the island but we didn't really have trouble getting hold of them for journeys to and from the town - and when we did, the hotel kindly dropped us off in one of their cars for no charge (I gave a tip). Cost of taxis to the town is around 7 euros. We hired a car for some days but if you just want to visit different beaches then use the boat service which does a beach tour where you can get on and off as you wish. Two loungers and a parasol will set you back about 12 euros but if you stay on Psarou beach then the hotel has a private section of the beach at no cost. We had a sea view room which was pleasant enough with simple minimalistic traditional Greek design - however I disliked the bathroom which was quite small and dark (all blue) and would have preferred more modern facilities. The communal areas of the hotel were all lovely and spacious - especially the breakfast/restaurant area and the reception and adjacent bar was very stylish. You can't miss the donkeys! The infinity pool area was nice but sometimes difficult to get a lounger, as, being the only pool, filled up quickly, as did the beach. There were more kids than we expected and we couldn't really get away from them, and despite there being signs saying 'no jumping in' it didn't stop them doing this repeatedly which did get pretty annoying as you would often get splashed at the same time. Breakast was a good buffet style with all the usual stuff and you could also have a glass or two of champagne to accompany it. The poolside bar was good, especially Christina who really looked after you. The menu was nice and the the cheapest bottle of local white wine on the menu was about 29 euros. The hotel is within very easy walking distance of other tavernas and bars, and I would recommend Nikos (across the road) and if you walk down the road you arrive at another beach, Platys Gialos, with lots of bars and tavernas to choose from at a reasonable price. The restaurants generally serve only Greek and Italian food and have very reasonable carafes of local wine. A bottle of local beer/lager is 5 euros. Water is expensive at the hotel so get some from the local shop across the road - 1.5 litres for 80 cents. If you want an English paper, walk down the road and turn left at Platys Gialos beach then walk past all the tavernas and you arrive at a two little shops, the one on the right sells the papers for 2.50. The beaches of Mykonos were all very crowded due to the time of year and I would maybe recommend some beach shoes. I think once we accepted that the beaches were really busy we stopped grumbling and just enjoyed it! I would recommend this hotel to others but would stress that the website is very clever as we were intially disappointed but then warmed to it! The spa is the hotel's greatest drawback. Wherever we stay we have a lot of treatments and my partner especially likes to have a massage every day. This spa shared the space with the gym so you could be having a manicure whilst someone pounds the treadmill only 6 feet away. There is only one massage room and only two staff and it was very difficult getting appointments. I gave up trying to get a pedicure and ended up using a local beauty salon, and my partner only had two massages before deciding it was too difficult to book one and then it wasn't that great anyway. Overall we were glad we chose this hotel but mainly down to the location and the friendly staff - I'm not sure we would return unless they had a good offer on, or was going to stay in one of the posh suites with private pool! Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I have to say that although many hotels look beter on photos, here the real thing is so different! Dark , small rooms, thousnads of steps to get anywhere, three star service and a very noisy, crowded beach and pool that was not chic. Definitely overpriced by a lot and a waste of a holiday.

The food was sometimes edible and sometimes overcooked or undercooked. The worst thing was the service. we had to ask endless times for everything.

A lot of package holidays guests there as well. Most of them on secial offers . I had nothing against that but it does bring the clientele down to a level of very cheap holiday makers. Still , even them seemed annoyed withthe levelof service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

To be honest, I love the Blu, I love the Blu Skies, the blu beach, and everything about this blu hotel. This is not your typical luxury hotel, it keeps all of the fine lines of MYKONOS which I love: everything white against the blue lines makes you feel like are forever in Greek wonderland.
The staff: starting from the front desk; Konstantina, Jenny, to Stavros, they are all exceptionally wonderful, nice and accomodating to any of the needs that I had (many)... The entire staff of Mykonos Blu is wonderful, not even forgetting Mike, also a pleasure everyday to see at the beach (he recommended for me to order grilled octopus as it was amazzing, also they have a dip that is to dream of).
In general, if anyone ever has any issues at the Blu, than the person has issues: PERIOD. I could not even imagine what they may be, the hotel is magical, and if your room is not your fairytale then they will do their best to put you in a better one. If you are sick then they make you some concoction of a tea that literally made me feel better in an hour flat, if you need anything minus hash they have it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

We just returned from a wonderful time in Mykonos. Weather was pefect and crowds were not bad. We selected Mykonos Blu based on suggestion from our travel agent despite some negative reviews on Trip Advisor. What a great choice! The views were breath taking. Our room was the best. The staff was simply beyone belief. They took care of every need and every anticipated need. No way there could be better service at any other hotel. Beach was great, food at the hotel was delicious. Dinner on the balcony overlooking the bay cannot be be beat. You will not be disappointed if you choose this hotel

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

UNFORGETTABLE!!!! We traveled to Mykonos with a group of 19 people, of family and friends, and decided to stay at the Mykonos Blu hotel after doing extensive reserach on the other hotels on the island, and I am so happy we did!!! The staff is AMAZING!!!! the rooms were lovely, service and food were fantastic, and they were all too happy to let us take over the bar every night! The staff, especially Vicki!!!!, was so helpful in making dinner reservations for a crowd, suggesting places to eat, and adventures to take, it made the entire experience wonderful!!!! We were there for a destination birthday party, and everyone at the hotel was soo accomodating to our huge group (including small children!) and we all LOVED IT!!!! STAY HERE, its worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I stayed there with my wife for our honeymoon. Due to the economic problems in the country they ended up delaying their opening by a week, which cut into what was supposed to be our first night there. Not only did they compensate us with a room upgrade (since we wouldn't be able to take advantage of the hotel's services for the first day) but they made a staff member available to us to take us into the city or to a restaurant for dinner. That was just the tip of the iceberg too.

The service was terrific. Everyone was smiling and we felt like we were treated royally around the hotel. The grounds there are magnificent. Stellar views, lovely pool and amazing beach access.

Mykonos has a rep as a big party island, but this is a bit of a refuge from that scene. Or, if that is your preference it's still a great place to recharge the batteries during the day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Stayed here for a week, I loved it, the pool, the beach, the room...my only gripe is that it's too far from the town, but it was very classy and elegant. I love the bar's design, I'm sorry that it's very deserted it looks very cool and comfortable. The beach is the best one in Mykonos. I hope they have kept up everything that I liked about it.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Grecotel Mykonos Blu Hotel? Share your experiences!