“An oasis of calm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Kato Stalos
York, England, United Kingdom
“An oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We've just finished our 3rd lovely breakfast so far at Renieris Hotel and I'm sat by the pool overlooking the sea, an amazing view of the nearby island and typing this review using their free WiFi. This place is excellent.

The room we have doesn't face the sea but we really don't mind at all as we have a lovely balcony and view of the manicured hotel gardens and mountains. It also means we have no road noise. Speaking of the road you can hear it from the pool side and presumably the balconies of the rooms facing the sea, but as the hotel is up a small hill its only a slight dull roar and very forgettable. I would hate to be in a hotel right next to it like many along this stretch as it is quite busy. This hotel is a great option if you want to be close to the beach but away from the road.

The room we have is quite small but perfectly OK and maybe a bit larger than others here as it has an extra bed (which we didn't request), immaculately clean and as I said earlier, with good views. We've slept really well with no noise from any other rooms.

The pool and poolside bar is lovely. The owners are very friendly and even serve delicious local draft beer, ice creams, Greek food, etc until late. Its great place to relax if you want a day off from sight seeing. The sunsets from here are beautiful and the breakfasts are excellent (we are vegetarian).

The beach is a long stretch of brown sand the other side of the main highway. Its quite nice, the sound of the sea blocks out that of the road and it's very good for swimming. There are even nesting turtles along it! To be honest we haven't used it that much though.

There is a regular bus service into Hania that is easy to use and only costs €1.60 for a single and takes about 15-20 minutes to get into town. The old town and port are really lovely and there are tons of great places to eat and drink. Speaking of eating, there are also some nice tavernas in Kato Stalos too and in the old village of Stalos up the hill if you don't mind walking a little. Well worth the effort.

If you're wondering where to stay in Crete I'd definitely recommend here. We've also stayed in Rethymno which is also has a beautiful old town and I'd highly recommend there too. We stayed in Georgioupolis as well but didn't really like it there - it was too family/older couple targeted with little character. We're a couple in late twenties/early thirties with no kids.

To sum up, if you'd like an affordable hotel with great hosts, great views, great breakfasts, with a clean comfortable room within easy reach of Hania, come here!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the hotel in the first week of July. The only negative is that it was a little hard to find in the dark, so some better signage would be great. Aside from that we just loved our stay! The rooms are basic but comfortable, clean and each balcony has a view to the ocean. The free wifi works very well. There is a nice poolside terrace where the excellent variety of breakfast is served each morning, which is included in the price. The owners make the breakfast themselves fresh and you can even request a very nice cappuccino if you prefer that over filtered coffee. You can also order lunch/dinner and drinks on the terrace or as room service. The pool is inviting and clean, the property is beautifully landscaped. There is a staircase going down to the road and when you cross you find yourself on a very nice beach, perfect for swimming. There is also rental for umbrella/chairs. The hotel itself is very quiet, although you can hear the traffic from the road but it didn't disturb our sleep. Overall I would recommend Renieris and will go back when I'm on wonderful Crete again.

aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

When writing this review of our 3 days at Renieris Hotel I'm caught in 2 minds. The selfish side doesn't want to publicise what is a fantastic hotel which exudes warm Cretan hospitality. I want to keep it to myself and not make it more popular. However this would be unfair to Georgios and Stella who own and run the hotel. The standard of rooms is excellent, the cleanliness of the hotel is the highest I've ever encountered (and I stay in a lot of hotels!) and the breakfasts are superb. So how come it only attracts a 2 star rating? I stayed in 4 different hotels during our 2 week stay in Crete during July 2014, including the most highly rated boutique hotel in Rethymnon. Renieris compared well to these for the quality of the rooms and service provided, but for value for money, Renieris won hands down!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are worth the little bit extra but all rooms are of a very high standard and ta...
Landstuhl, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I had some reservations about Crete. Knowing Greece had recently suffered economic catastrophe, and seeing the drab surrounding of Chania airport, I wasn't sure this was the amazing beach vacation I was looking for. Thankfully, I was wrong. Once our cab driver found the hotel and I stepped out and saw the view from Renieris Hotel, I knew I had made a wonderful choice! The man behind the front desk was just about the nicest person I have yet to meet working in any hotel. He is also out working during the FREE breakfast buffet, with an older woman who was also very sweet. The food for room service is delicious, traditional Greek cuisine, and VERY reasonably priced! I could eat a plate of Dakos for 3 euro, the perfect mid-day snack! Next to the pool you can also enjoy some draft beer... oh and I forgot to mention that the view from the pool is breath-taking all day! The sunset from that vantage point is the stuff dreams are made of.

The rooms in the hotel are small, but very clean! I think the only improvement I would recommend would be plastic shower curtains, as the fabric curtains can stick to your skin if you're not careful about it. But I have experienced fabric shower curtains at many hotels, and I know the plastic curtains can mold. This might seem like a minor complaint, but honestly the hotel was so wonderful, that's the only critique I really have. The beds were quite firm, but I actually like that, and so does my husband, so we slept like babies.

To get to the beach you travel down a long staircase, which is fine because traversing the stairs helps burn off some of the calories from the Greek food! But it may be a consideration if you have difficulties with stairs. I would recommend that people walk far down the beach, the party gets better farther down. The water is a beautiful emerald green, pure Mediterranean!

All in all, I loved my stay, and the outstanding hospitality of the Renieris Hotel staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water, if that's what you want.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Aside from being immaculately clean, with a spectacular view, it is the hospitality and friendliness of the owners that sets the Renieris apart. They reflect the warmth and generosity of the Cretan culture. Another plus is the setting, away from the noisy, crowded main road, yet accessible to the beach. Having travelled globally, this is a rare find!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Such a wonderful little place! Good value, beautiful view and across the road from a nice quiet beach. Great breakfast. Georgios went out of his way to help us with everything from bus times to hiking tips, and even helped us with room service after the restaurant had closed. Would definitely come back here.

Stayed July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had a hard time finding the place with a rental car due to the fact that we made the mistake of not bringing a GPS and due to some misinformation we received from a guy we asked for directions. After realizing that we were close (near "Maria's Restaurant"), we called and asked to have someone meet us in front of the restaurant. Within 5-10 minutes, Stella, who runs the hotel along with her son Giorgio met us an we followed her up the hill.

After the exhausting and annoying travel and search for the hotel, we finally entered our room. Upon opening the balcony door and seeing the wonderful view of the Mediterranean Sea and the nice hotel pool, our mood changed in a heartbeat.

Here are our overall impressions:

1) The property grounds are in perfect shape. The pool and breakfast area are not only very pretty, but also very conveniently laid out.

2) The free daily breakfast is more than reasonable. There is a good variety of food. Stella and Giorgio will try to accommodate your every wish. No request seems to be too burdensome for them.

3) The rooms are fairly small, yet very clean and pretty functional. The same goes for the shower and the bathroom.

4) Undoubtedly, the highlight of this premise is ***Giorgio***. I am confident that he is as informative, nice and friendly of a hotel owner as you will find anywhere in the world. Every day, he took his time to explain all the different tourist sights and options around the island. He hand drew directions, instructions on where to park, what restaurants to go to, etc. He was correct 100% of the times. He even went a step further and provided information on useful web sites/phone apps for airline tickets and GPS features.
We had trouble with the engine of our rental car (had to get a different car) in the middle of our trip. He even tried helping with the troubleshooting of the issue and arranging a different car for us. IT seemed like he and his mom were around the property around the clock, trying to please the guests' every wish.

If we ever visit Crete again, Renieris will undoubtedly be on top of our list.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Renieris Hotel? Share your experiences!