“Traditional Cretan Cuisine!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Kato Stalos
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Our restaurant offering a warm, friendly atmosphere to share a meal with family and friends at 18:00 o'clock every evening. Since 1990 we have been here taking care of our customers and serving up home made meals made from mama lula. Stop in and get to know your new friends and become one of the family. You’ll be glad you did.
Michigamme, Michigan
“Traditional Cretan Cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was visiting Crete this summer, and I sat at Markos restaurant by accident as I was hiking to the village of Stalos. When I walked down the road that leads to the reataurant I was amazed by the welcoming and relaxing atmosphere so hidden by the main road. What I loved most about this place is the fact that I was able to taste different cretan dishes by ordering a mix plate while my visit of Loula's kitchen. The family atmopsphere in addition to the wonderful taste of Crete is what puts this restaurant on top of my list of places to eat while visiting Crete. I look forward to my next visit so I can have the opportunity to taste ever more dishes cooked by Loula!
I absolutely recommend to anyone who likes to eat good food cooked with fresh ingredients and olive oil.!

• Visited July 2012

• Polish first
Chania Town, Greece
“The Best food ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I wrote a review for this restauarant back in 2010 but it was taken off a few months later. I am pleased to say that now many other visitors have now discovered this excellent taverna where authentic Cretan dishes including many of the vegetables out of the family garden are prepared fresh every day by Lula. Her reputation is now worldwide and visitors return year after year to eat at Markos every night. The taverna is quite unique in that you go into the kitchen to choose your food from approximately 21 different dishes. Lula is very generous with her helpings which are at very reasonable prices.

It is a family run taverna with a friendly atmosphere which makes eating there a truly great experience and I am sure you will make a return visit once you have eaten there!

• Visited July 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Cretan Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Friendly atmosphere, selected your meal from the kitchen it was prepared in by host. Family business serving authentic Cretan dishes.

Visited September 2012
Hampshire
“As Good as it Gets!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were lucky enough to be staying in a Villa that was a stone's throw way from Markos, and ate there twice. On our first visit we were informed there was no menu, but that you would be called into the kitchen and choose what you wanted to eat. When it was our turn we were greeted by an enormous choice of dishes, which meant the only problem was what to choose. The food was genuinely home cooked and was absolutely delicious. The portions were huge and I believe were outstanding value - on both occasions my wife and I had two courses, water and a carafe of wine for the princely sum of 27euros. On top of this you are also served complimentary desserts and the obligatory raki! On our visits the taverna was full both times, but I did not see anyone turned away - they just bring out more tables! This has to be the best meal out in the area

• Visited September 2012
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Eating at home when abroad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I live in Crete for 6 years and now I am coming back every year for various reasons. One is to eat at Marcos's. I have some knowledge about Cretan cuisine an I can say that this is THE most authentic one. Everything is fresh, cooked that very day. What need of menu when you just go into the kitchen and you can see the delicious dishes. To taste them all you need about a week to come every day and choose about four dishes each time...It's all so tasty. "Shrimp saganaki" has always been my favourite, but the stuffed courgette flowers, or the lamb cooked in so many different ways, chicken or pork...and for the vegetarians there are so many choices. If you cannot eat all, you can always take a "paketo" and have your leftovers for lunch the next day.
The atmosphere is that of going to some of your best friends' house for dinner.
Nothing fancy, just authentic. No website needed or advertisement. The word of mouth is enough to fill up the place all the season long....
Another thing: if a Cretan family eats the same food (I mean Marcos and Lula's family) that is served to customers, it must be excellent. There is a rule in Crete that I learnt during my stay there: if you pass by a restaurant and it is full of Greek people, then it must be excellent.
Thank you Lula and Marcos and Manolis and ll the family for making me and everyone else so welcome.

• Visited August 2012