“Five star experience off the beaten track” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Beaches, Outdoors
London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Five star experience off the beaten track”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Hi. I have been staying at the Porto Bay Falesia which has its own private pathway to Falesia beach. You know the feeling when you go somewhere and it is ok, but, well, just ok, so you just leave. That's not the Olhos d'Agua beach. We wandered down from Falesia - only about 10 minutes walk- and were struck by the number of restaurants, but not in a tacky way. It's nice. We came to the beach front, and it really, really, was nice. At the end of August, sure it was busy, but we sat down at a nearby café, and ordered a couple of soft drinks; the waiter was polite and efficient. Eventually, I just took off my shoes and shirt, and made my way into the cool but not cold water. Lovely. I had left my shoes on the beach in no particular spot and they were still there. My wife and I then walked up onto the cliffs overlooking the beach and walked down to a beautiful inlet, hardly frequented at all; the pebbles and rocks near and in the sea make it less attractive for swimming, but I still had a dip. Some intrepid sorts were swimming from Olhos round to Falesia. We walked from the inlet round the promontory on the rocks back to Olhos avoiding the small hill climb and descent; it was fun ! We sat and had a coffee at one of the beach facing cafes and restaurants. These all serve great sea food and if it wasn't for the fact that we had already made an appointment to get some paella at O Cantil a little up the way from the beach (which was great), we would have stayed on that beach front for lunch. The beach is great, and the area is as great. It's very unspoilt and unpretentious- and everybody seems to be enjoying life at a slower pace. Not quite linked to the beach but at the top of the main drag down to the beach is a restaurant called San Marino. I had the best steak and chips I have had for a very long time there, on my first evening in this area. An Italian restaurant, they know their business, and I would recommend going there as well, particularly if you are hungry. Pure pleasure on a stick making me a happy little holidaymaker !.

• Polish first
Derbyshire
6 attraction reviews
“A little gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Very much a locals beach and rather small, but very attractive and full of people having fun. Many bars and restaurants nearby when the sunshine gets too much.

Visited July 2013
5 attraction reviews
“Cosy little beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

It is one of the most cosy beaches in the Algarve. However, it's size (very small) and major demand (especially in August), makes it very difficult to attend.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“A Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We wanted a restful holiday and that is what we got. We don't eat out much, so the supermarkets were essential. We found several big ones on the main road. We didn't get to Monchique this time, nor towards Spain. We didn't really need the car much, the buses were frequent and the stops not far from the apartments. We didn't dislike anything. It was a great holiday.

Visited May 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
“crowded, but beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

loved the scenery, blue water, rock formations typical of the algarve. if you hike west then you start running into some really unique caves. if you hike east then you may find some natural cold water springs bubbling up at the far end of the beach. the crowds could get pretty bad but i was there in mid august at high season.