“One night stay in December 2012” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Resort Tahiti

You added InterContinental Resort Tahiti to your Saves list
InterContinental Resort Tahiti
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 6014 | Pointe Tahiti, Faa'a 98702, French Polynesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Faa'a
Atlanta, Georgia
“One night stay in December 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here one night before an early flight back to the US. The hotel was great for that purpose! It had several restaurants and bars... the value was pretty good for Tahith and the conveneince of being so clos eto the airport but still have the exoctic feel. The staff seemed nice and while the room was in need of an update (it's just kindof tired) and small, I only stayed one night so it was adequate for that. Although I paid extra for free interent, I as never able to connect.

I enjoyed the view of Moorea and watching the sunset the last night we were in Tahiti. And of course, it's very conveneint to the airport, which is why I satyed there in the first place.

Although I wouldn't want to stay there my entire trip - it's important to get to another island in Tahiti - I think this is a great hotel to begin or finish your travels to Tahiti.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel just minutes from the airport where we spent out first night in Polynesia before heading of to Moorea and Bora Bora. Close to town, beautiful view of Moorea. Impeccable grounds, pool, workout area and restaurants. Will have to stay longer next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed at the Intercon Dec 27-29 in a panoramic lagoon view room I believe it was #399. It was a beautiful corner room with a large balcony. It was clean and spacious with a large bathroom and Jacuzzi tub. The room was not ready at 8 am when we arrived after a 9 hour flight. They did provide us with a shower room so we could freshen up which was nice. I also got a pedicure in the spa while waiting for the room. It was a little weird. I laid down on a massage table and she gave me a foot massage. Then she had me bend my knees up and put my feet in a warm vibrating bath while still laying on the table.I had a dress on so it was a little uncomfortable. It reminded me of the 'at home' or do it yourself basins for pedicures. It was nice but not worth $100.

Prior to the trip we signed up for the Intercon "Ambassador" program which was a great deal. We stayed in at the Intercon in Tahiti and Moorea. For $200 you received and room upgrade, late check out and daily bottles of water among other perks for a year at any Intercon. It was worth it.

The restaurants were mediocre. Luckily we managed to have our breakfast included with our trip. It averaged anywhere from $70-90 for the two of us. We would try to have a light lunch or go into town or on a tour and eat. Sandwiches ran about $25. Dinner buffets were ok. There was a 'Seafood Extravaganza' which was about $150 a person but the food was nothing to brag about. Everything was over cooked and dry. We justified the price with the Tahitian dance show that was performed during dinner. A glass of juice was $10, a bottle of water was too. Cocktails were around $15-20. The best meals we had were room service fettuccini alfredo and spaghetti with meat sauce.

The resort grounds were beautiful. There were multiple white sand beaches, hammocks, infinity pools, and a large enclosed 'lagoonarium' with many species of fish where skittish adults or small children could warm up to snorkeling. You could rent kayaks and snorkel gear for free. There is a beautiful view of Moorea in the distance and you face the sunset.

We took a Jeep 4x4 tour that was offered through the concierge. It was awesome. We went up into the mountains and found waterfalls and went swimming in streams.

Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating. We would recommend this as a starting point to set a longer trip off on a good note.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We took the January 6 Princess cruise from Hawaii to Tahiti and opted to add the 2 day stay-over optional which Princess booked at this hotel. Unlike others who seem to have had problems, our stay was idyllic! We were in one of the over-water bungalows, but we visited the rooms from two different couples who we had met during the cruise--a "panorama" room and a regular room, and all three were superb. The food was generally excellent, and the prices were less than at least one person suggested in yet a different review. It was possible to eat a simple "express" breakfast for around $15 (a continental style breakfast with coffee, juice, breads and pastries), then the price jumped up to around $30 for an "American" buffet breakfast which was very comprehensive and delicious. (I had read in a different review on this site that the buffets were generally not good, but I must say that our breakfast buffets were both VERY good).

For lunch and dinner the menu was the same, and there was a range of salads, sandwich "baskets" (with fries), pizzas and pastas as well as a lot of fresh fish and etc. I liked all the meals I had, with the pizza being the weakest choice, but the most inexpensive, as we easily shared one pizza, and probably could have shared it with a third person as well. They did not seem to mind if you shared and were as polite as when we splurged and got a couple of the more expensive options as our meals. In all we were there three days and two nights and ate every meal there during that time with no complaint. The prices seemed to range from this $22 pizza-for-two to around $35. We were able to eat on average for $19-$25 each.

We also discovered that the concierges there are a particularly valuable addition to this hotel. There were two, each with a good understanding of English and a desire to be helpful to the guests. We were able to take a private shuttle into town through the hotel's auspices, and we were given maps and info prior to the trip. The shuttle driver also spoke very good English and gave us even more advice and a bigger map, and she took the time to look around with us and help us feel visually oriented before she took off. She came back on time, to the exact spot where she had left us, and welcomed us back into her shuttle. (We have had very dysfunctional experiences with hotel shuttles in other countries, so we always feel relieved when they go well like this one did!)

On the last day, most flights departed in the later evening. We did not pay a day rate to be allowed to stay in our room, although our friends did (they were allowed to stay until 6:00 pm, which was only an hour prior to their departure for the airport). But the concierge suggested that our room was not rented, and he told us to go ask Reception if we could stay. This lady allowed us to stay in our own room for free until 3:00! We then relaxed, ate dinner, and used the free "day room" option to shower and clean up just prior to our own departure for the airport. There were several of these day rooms, so there was no problem with getting one, even at the last minute (which is when we belatedly decided to go for it and ask). They were really nice changing rooms with showers, plenty of fluffy large towels, nice lavatories similar to our own hotel bathrooms, and a good place to open up luggage for the changing process. Soap and a few other amenities were provided as a convenience in case the traveler had already packed theirs away! A very nice experience!

Something I do think it is important to mention is that although the rooms have excellent air conditioning, the bulk of the hotel is open to the beautiful grounds. There are fans and breezes as it is right off the water, but be aware that you need to take cool clothing for moments like this waiting process in the lobby and for transfers in vans and busses, most of which are not really cooled. (Ultimately it was this waiting in the lobby which although comfortable, was warm, that decided us to freshen up just before the flight home, and it made us feel much better and more alert.) It is also important to understand that it can take a while to check into the room in a large resort, even an American one, (such as the Flamingo in Vegas, which was a horrific check-in experience!). Here, they were unbelievably organized by anyone's standards. Princess took us to the hotel in a comfortable, air-conditioned bus, and when we arrived, both concierges were on hand to welcome us. They gave us a good place to wait, and made it clear that we should relax as the process would take about 25 minutes to complete. As we sat there (and in our case, had a delicious pina colada!) or walked around the grounds, which are beautiful, they worked, then they came back to the Princess desk in the lobby when they said they would, and when we went up to their desk, they gave us our rooms, and off we went! Very simple--possibly the least painful check-in I have ever had when I was in a large group like this was! It is also important to understand that in other countries, it is rude to rush people who are dining. If you are American to the core and eat quickly and want the bill, then you may need to ask for it. If you ask, they will speed up the process, but otherwise, they will not. Don't be blaming--make your wishes known. We felt that the staff bent over backwards to help each time we asked.

We encountered only one snaffu during our stay. Since we were stuffed to the gills after eating on a Princess cruise for 11 days, we ordered the small "express" breakfast on our first morning. The staff rushed back to us to inform us that the huge, "American" buffet was included in our room at no charge! So we had this instead. However, when we went to check out, we had been charged! So I went to Reception and spoke with the lady. She asked me for the particulars of the event, checked with management, and took the charges off the bill. I was given a copy of what we owed and signed for. It was very clearly organized, as was every bill that I signed, unlike some else's review above. Another of our friends had the reverse process in which they were told their breakfast was NOT included. But when they showed their paperwork, it was quickly changed. I will mention that one of the ladies working Reception had much less English than all the other people who worked there, and she was hard to work with. I think she was embarrassed to admit that she did not understand, so she seemed to just "disappear" when she was in trouble. I watched this happen to another member of our group, who was understandably upset by this response. So I waited until she went off shift and went back with my questions to a lady who I found to be exceptionally competent in her English. So that is another suggestion I might make if things are not going as you wish--if time permits, just wait and go back when the conditions are more favorable. If not, go ask the concierge for help should the need arise.

All in all, I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat! I do agree, though, that for us, the two night/three day option was a good amount of time there as we had already explored Bora Bora and Moorea while on cruise. However, had we not, there were an extensive number of excursions available to book through the concierge that would have done the exact same thing that we did through Princess, and all at slightly better prices. A traveler could easily go there and use this InterContinental as the home base for a full week of exploring on all three islands.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental Resort as a day room prior to our embarkation as part of our Paul Gauguin Cruise to French Polynesia. The day room was comped, as was the luncheon buffet. I was given a slip at lunch that looked nothing like any credit card charge I had ever received, and when I questioned the paper, I was told , "not to worry, it's for accounting purposes only", so I signed my room number and stateroom number, and never thought any more about it, until I returned home and got a $100 credit card charge for the buffet. I guess the hotel figures if you can afford to take a Paul Gauguin Cruise, you probably won't contest a paltry $100 charge. I notified my credit card company immediately, and the charge is currently being contested. Doubt the hotel needs to do this, since their prices for everything else are so outrageously high, they should never suffer a loss.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear chuck6969,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great resort. We spent one day here in a "day room" package purchased through Princess Cruises before the start of the cruise. Cruise ended in Papeete, but our flight wasn't until midnight, so we went to the IC for the day. Resort is beautiful, and we were greeted with a juice cocktail upon arrival. However, food prices in the restaurant are ridiculously high, even given high cost of everything in Tahiti. You can walk to a very large grocery store, Carrefour, which is less than a mile away from the IC. There is a hot food deli counter and cut-up fruit, a bakery for French bread and cheese, everything for a picnic lunch or dinner. I'll try to attach the map, but the front desk provided a copy. Walk out of resort, go to the right on main road. Pass Shell station and Casino, Carrefour is on the right. .75 miles from Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and Tiki bar are noisy on nights when there's entertainment.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were fortunate enough to stay in a bungalow over the water. Every morning we would have our complimentary breakfast delivered. They were amazing. We had everything we ordered plus extra plus all the beautiful flowers.

After breakfast we would feed the fish left over breads. There were so many and very beautiful.

The town of Peepete was a business town, not a resort town. We were in Tahiti for a total of 3 days, but it was not our favorite island.

Room Tip: Try and book the over the water bungalows.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to InterContinental Resort Tahiti? Share your experiences!