“Service is poor and rude - they just don't care” 2 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Resort Tahiti

You added InterContinental Resort Tahiti to your Saves list
InterContinental Resort Tahiti
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 6014 | Pointe Tahiti, Faa'a 98702, French Polynesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Faa'a
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Service is poor and rude - they just don't care”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I've never had such rude service! I understand it was busy when I was checking in and it took over 20 minutes. I accepted that, no problem. I had previously sent my luggage to be dropped at the hotel from the airport as I knew my room was most likely not ready and I went into to town to check it out. When I arrived to check in I was told my luggage was in my room. When I entered my room the luggage was nowhere to be found so i call the front desk and she tells me to speak with the porters. That meant i had to walk far back to the reception. I explain I wasn't feeling well and that I had just arrived to my room. She states she will speak with the porter. I ask her to confirm my luggage was located and I receive no follow up. I begin to worry as my work laptop and other personal items were in my hand luggage. I then walk all the way to reception and the porter is rude - VERY RUDE and acted as if it was my fault I didn't have my luggage. He tell me he was waiting for a porter to drive the luggage to the room and then all of a sudden madly takes off when my luggage walking abruptly to my room. I stop him and ask why he is taking my luggage when we were waiting for the driver. He angrily states that I have him so he's WALKING IT MADAM. But his tone was rude and short without respect. I said I would take my own luggage as my sweater which was tied to the handle was dragging and he didn't seem to give a crap about my belongings. I've stayed at several intercontinental hotels and this is by far the worst.

Room Tip: A lagoon view is not too expensive but this hotel is nothing special. Especially when you compare it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
v_roniquey, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Ia Orana from Intercontinental Tahiti Resort and thank you for having taken the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
Indeed we have read your comments with a lot of attention and we are quite surprised by the experience you described which must be the result of a misunderstanding.
Nevertheless this kind of reaction from a member of our staff is not acceptable and please accept our sincere apologies ; Also, we would appreciate if you could get back to us at your convenience to discuss this matter (intercontinental.tahiti@ihg.com).
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully.
Guest Relation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We spent 2 nights at this resort in an overwater bungalow. While the majority of accomodation is in the main buildings, the bungalows are special. They give a real South Pacific feel, and are beautifully done. The grounds are lovely, interspersed with excellent swiming pools. The best is a sand-bottomed infinity pool with swim-up bar next to the Lotus Restaurant. Food is excellent, if a bit expensive. Overall, the environment is so comfortable, there seems to be little motivation to venture off the property.

Room Tip: Rooms all have a great view, but bungalows are special!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Intercontinental Tahiti, and thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your experience and the true hospitality of our Tahiti Resort.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.
Warm regards from Tahiti.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here prior to a Paul Gauguin cruise and on our return we had a day room. Although we had a garden room booked, the view was of the ocean and this was a real bonus. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff are always helpful. Breakfast was excellent but we did not eat in the hotel in the evenings. Drinks at the bar were very expensive but this is the case throughout Tahiti. The grounds are amazing and there is a lovely view of Morea. This is a lovely way to start a holiday and our welcome on arrival was great. If we go to this area again, we would have no hesitation in staying here.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the ocean
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Intercontinental Tahiti Resort and thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
You are absolutely right, nestled in 32 acres of tropical garden and lush vegetation and facing the sister island of Moorea, our hotel is a good start before travelling to our outer islands and the best way to end your sojourn in French Polynesia.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future and why not for a longer stay ; you can be sure that our staff will look after your every needs.
With our best regards.
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this resort on our honeymoon. We had two nice nights here before heading to stay at the Hilton on Moorea which was fabulous. Upon returning from Moorea we were booked for two more nights at the Intercontinental. When the evening approached on the first of these two nights our room became infested with mayflies. These are slow moving insects that look like a cross between an ant and a roach. I stopped counting how many mayflies I killed at 50. The mayflies were coming out of the baseboard, floors, and bathtub plumbing. When I spoke to the resort staff and they said the entire hotel was infested due to a swarm of mayflies. The only solution they offered was giving us a can of bug spray. This hotel should be avoided during August and September due to mayfly season

Dear Guest,
Greetings from Intercontinental Tahiti and thank you for posting your review on Trip advisor.
We are sincerely sorry for the inconveniences caused by the myflies during your stay with us. These swarms of small flying insects appear 2 or 3 times a year throughout the island at sunset during 1 hour or 2.
No treatment could prevent this phenomenon, however please be aware that these insects are harmless. The only thing to do is to close the windows and turn off the lights in order to avoid the room to be invaded.
We hope this incident will not deter you to come back to the Intercontinental Tahiti.
We look forward to be of service to you in the future.
Warm regards from Tahiti.
Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here in a Panorama category room for three nights prior to a cruise. The room was large, the balcony was unususually large, the view was beautiful, the furnishings were fresh and well-maintained, and the bed was comfortable.
The swimming pools are great, although more chairs in shaded areas would be nice. The Lagoonarium was a nice touch. However, there is only a small artificial beach -- not a real one.
Our dinner at the Lotus was excellent although very pricey. Our dinner at the more casual Tiare was good. The breakfast buffet was good but not special, especially for the price.
The lounge/bar by Tiare was pleasant but the staff here were not as friendly and helpful as the orher hotel staff.
There is a large Costco-like Walmart and motley shopping center about 15-20 minutes away (walking).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
v_roniquey, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Resort Tahiti, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest:
Greetings from InterContinental Tahiti Resort!
Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your comments and letting us know about your recent experience at the Intercontinental Tahiti resort;
We are pleased to learn that overall, you were satisfied by the facilities and service provided by our hotel. Your remark concerning staff attitude at the Tiki Bar has been dully considered and are receiving our personal attention : thank you for your feed back as we continually seek ways to evolve our level of service and guest experiences.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at our Tahiti resort and should you decide to do so, please do not hesitate to contact us as we will do our utmost to fully satisfy you next time.
Yours faithfully;
Guest relation Manager
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Very pretty grounds, well maintained.

We were going on a cruise in French Polynesia, we arrived a couple of days early and stayed here. I should note that I am a Ambassador Club member, so we got an upgrade to ocean view from a standard room for free.

The room staff was very polite and the pool staff was very diligent in serving drinks and bringing towels.

The only thing to call out is a culture thing. Lunch is done at 2pm--very French style. The restaurant near the pool (not near the main entrance) is more formal. When we arrived the waiter came out and said lunch is 'finished'. No interest in recommending that we could go to the bar and order from room service or go to the main restaurant. Too bad, but very typical in France (lived in Paris for some time). Strikes Americans as brusque I think.

The room is clean and the bathroom is resort class. We didn't go to the spa, but pricing is in line with being on a south pacific island at a 5 star hotel. Not cheap.

It is a 10 minute ride from the airport and about 15 minutes from Papeete. That's a good thing as Papeete is a bit run down.

Big buffet on offer for lunch and breakfast at the main restaurant, good selection and covers American and European tastes.

Would stay here again.

Dear Guest:
Ia Orana from the InterContinental Tahiti Resort !
Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property.
In reference to your remark concerning our lotus restaurant, it is true that it is opened from 12noon until 2pm for lunch service ; Nevertheless, our waiter should recommend you our main restaurant, The Tiare, opened all day long : Our goal being to provide the highest quality of service throughout all aspects, we apologize for this mishap & be assured that corrective measures have already been taken.

Thank you again for your patronage, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Tahiti in the future.

Yours faithfully.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Like many others, we used this IC property as a jumping-off point for our "real" destination (the IC Thalasso on Bora Bora). We arrived late in the evening, and were thankful to have a prompt check-in and wonderfully comfy bed. Yes, the rooms and interior of the resort are a tad on the dated side, but the grounds (including the multiple pools and on-property lagoon) more than made up for this fact. They were gorgeous and were exactly what our tired eyes needed! The food was good (but not great), but the location of the property was outstanding. In fact, on our return from Bora Bora to the US, we had a lengthy 7-hour layover which would have been excruciating to spend at the Papeete "airport"! We therefore hired a cab and spent the layover dining and enjoying the beauty of French Polynesia just a wee bit longer!

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your short stay with us ; Indeed, our hotel is the idyllic setting for a stay in paradise, and the best way to end your sojourn in French Polynesia.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Tahiti in the future.
Yours sincerely
Guest Relations Manager

Been to InterContinental Resort Tahiti? Share your experiences!