“Topdive, Intercontinental Hotel; Tahiti” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Attractions in Faa'a
Type: Educational Sites, Resort Communities, Adventure
Banbury, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Topdive, Intercontinental Hotel; Tahiti”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Facilities were very good here and we had confidence in the professional organisation of the diving - we came here after going to another dive centre and being shocked at the casual approach and lack of proper procedures.

I particularly want to commend the receptionist Sara, who was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and went out of her way for us. She is a real credit to the organisation and should be commended by her employers. Her welcome was fabulous.

Raphael was our dive guide and he too was friendly and helpful. He had knowledge of how to fix a problem that developed with my BCD, so I was able to continue with my dive - thank you.

We did not like the fact that we had booked our first dive in The Aquarium in order to have an easy, good check dive after a bad experience elsewhere, but after getting onto the boat we were told of a dive site change, to a deeper dive. As we had particularly expressed my need for a shallow, easy dive to get over the previous bad experience, I felt that this was a thoughtless change and one which set me back again in terms of confidence. What you book should be what you get.

Once I did get to do The Aquarium on my second dive, it was what I needed to get some of my confidence back, it was a bright, shallow, easy dive.

Compared to the Red Sea, the Caribbean and the Maldives, we found there was less to see underwater here on Tahiti. Also, due to there being only guided dives where we were told we had to 'keep with the group and keep swimming as there are other people in the group who have paid for a dive', we had insufficient time to do the macro photography that we enjoy. However, the shark feeding dive is quite an experience, and there is time to take good photos on this dive. Although on one hand you don't approve of shark feeding; nevertheless this is counter-balanced by the excitement of seeing so many sharks at such close quarters.

Overall, we would recommend this dive operator but check before you get on the boat that the dive site is the one you booked!

Visited September 2012

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Intercontinental Resort Tahiti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

absolutely everything ! We even did the ATV Tour.The only thing we disliked was customs when we returned.Our entire trip was perfect.

Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Frank the divemaster at Intercontinental Tahiti, Jun 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

For the Tahiti leg of our honeymoon at the Intercontinental. We met the dive master Frank. We bought the gold pass for diving in Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora. Originally we were planning on diving once in Tahiti, and twice in Moorea and Bora Bora. My fiance and I are new divers and this was going to be the first time we were diving in the ocean. After taking the first dive we were impressed with what we saw and how Frank took us on the tour. After we came back to shore, Frank started telling us about what we will see on the other islands. Then he asked us if we want to see some sharks. We thought that he was joking. I asked him will we be in a cage??? Frank responds..."No, what fun would that be". After telling us about the sharks we were convinced to go for another dive in Tahiti, going only once in Moorea. The next morning Frank arrives at the dive shop with a bag of frozen tuna from the marketplace. When we went out diving, Frank threw the cage of tuna down to attract the sharks. Frank even brought his own camera so that we could have better pictures. We saw so many sharks and colorful fish. It was definitely the highlight of our trip. Frank was by far the best guide that we encountered on our honeymoon. The other guides on Moorea and Bora Bora when asked. What we will see? Had the same response, "I don't know, this is not a zoo". We saw some cool stuff but no where near the the extent of what Frank showed us during the shark dive. Moorea lacked fish. There was maybe like 2 sharks. Frank told us about this before we went there. We are happy he convinced us to take the shark dive in Tahiti. Frank was so great, he went out of his way to buy some tuna to attract the sharks. We felt like we were in an aquarium. I asked one of the other guides in Bora Bora to take the camera and record some video of my fiance and I, his response was:"I don't have time." Not Frank, the man brought his own camera from home. And then when I was having trouble with the dvd he gave me his usb stick with the videos. Frank was a great guy and anyone who is going scuba in Tahiti should ask for him and ask for the shark dive. This man will go out of his way to make sure that you will see a lot of sharks, not just one or two. And he wont tell you "I don't know what you will see, this is not a zoo." I only wish that we could have brought him along on the rest of the islands. Thanks a lot Frank, you made our scuba diving amazing..... David and Anna

Visited June 2012
Cologne, Germany
4 attraction reviews
“Tahiti Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Good diving location, but not comparable with Rangiroa, Fakarava, Manihi, Tikehau etc.
- Variety of diving spots (reef, wreck dive etc.)
- 20-30m boat ride to most diving spots.
- In low season (Apr) very small number of divers... ;-)
- Professional Dive Center (equipment, safety orientation)
- Open and very receptive for external guests (not staying at the Interconti, although Interconti
is clearly differentiating service versus external guests when eg staying for lunch etc.)
- Competent and friendly guides
- Unfortunately at some diving spots (esp. Moorea, Bora Bora) shark, rey feeding is still
practiced to "please" so called tourists
- Recommendation:
Tahiti should only be a start, other diving spots in French Polynesia should clearly be visited.

Visited April 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

These guys do a really outstanding job! Very convenient and well run!!!

Visited April 2012