“YES for hot springs, NO for hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa

You added Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Del Centro De La Fortuna 4 Km, San Carlos 83-6151, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Carlos
Plainview, New York
“YES for hot springs, NO for hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is very confusing: from one hand they have amazing hot springs pools, kid’s pools with toys, Jacuzzi, great bars by the pool, beautiful view of Arenal Volcano, beautiful design of hotel and rooms, BUT, from the other hand - very very poor service.
About the room: room is very big (we paid extra to have 2 queen beds) with nice balcony that have the volcano view, it was clean, with small refrigerator and plenty of closets.
But, we had some issues:
I was trying to call the reception a few times (to get more towels, for wake-up call) but never reached them. When I walked there myself – there was only 2 workers in the reception, with line of people to take care, then no surprise they didn’t answer my calls  - I think that the management should really do something about costumer service in this place.
By night there is no reception and the worst part: from about 10pm until morning, there is NO hot water!!! We been there for 2 nights, both nights we come late to hotel after full day out in the sun, and I couldn’t take a shower!! Frustrating!!! Of course, it was no reception to contact, but they do have guards walking around all night to make sure no one without the hotel bracelet is using the pools…
Other problem with this hotel, they do not have elevator, so we had to walk up and down with the luggage (we had 4 luggage and 2 kids!!) Up to the 4th floor…
So, if you ask me, do yourself a favor, book another hotel to sleep, and buy a day pass to use the facility for the hot spring. For my next visit, that’s what I’m going to do!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lower Mainland, British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This Resort is part amusement park where families can purchase all-day ticket for the water park and spa. The noise level, especially the pool with the canned music, can be quite loud. There was construction on both sides of the building in which we had our room. It appears that this was the only building that had rooms in which visitors could stay. The large room itself was very nice, large bathroom, and a nice bed.
Food was good in the restaurant, with not many guests, but the service was very slow. Breakfast was buffet style, but did not open until 07:15 - 15 minutes after they were supposed to open - awkward if you have to catch your transport at 07:30.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

The resort is beautiful although there are no natural hot springs as there are at Tabacon and Arenal hot springs. Everything is poured concreted. The water is still beautiful and some pools were really hot, which was very nice.

There is a sauna in the "cave" area but it smelled like urine every time we went in the check it out.

There ia wifi but it seldomly works and when it does it is painfully slow.

The worst part for me was the really, really, really loud dance music that goes well past 2am. I eventually fell asleep but paying over $300 per night and Baldi presenting itself as premium resort. I did not expect this type of party situation. I would not have booked here if i had known.

I tried to call the reception several times but always no answer.

During the day there are plenty of children in almost every pool and running all over the place.

They present themselves as a premium resort but are more of a water park by day and electronica dance club by night.

I would never suggest to stay here unless you have kids and all of you can sleep through very loud dance music.

Try Tabacon its a bit more money but worth every penny.

• Stayed February 2014
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Positives....

The hot springs are amazing worth the trip alone and by staying there you can avoid the crowds
The room seem to be quite a recent addition and so are pretty new are also large and spacious

Negatives
There seems to be a lot of building work going on when we stayed... so the views from the room are of building sites,,,not great!
We ate at the buffet which was pretty average quality, but all you can eat so great if your on a budget and hungry

General review - definitely worth a visit....stay overnight if you can afford it, and want to enjoy the pools with less people.. but if not just visit for the day still great

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights. We got a room on the top floor of the building where we figured it would be a nice view. There is construction in the front and back, there's nothing to see and super noisy. The room was dark. Dark wood floors dark wood walls and dark wood ceiling. There were very few lights in the room. It was like a terrible hot dark sauna. There was no insulation in the ceiling and when it rained at night (and it rains here every night) the sound was so loud of the rain on the metal roof that we could not sleep. The walls are so thin that we heard the guy in the next room snoring all night. If the rain won't wake you, feeling like the neighbors are actually in your room sure will! Breakfast was nothing special, service was average. The pools were ok, this is an overpriced hotel to pay for the pool maintenance. We were very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Aiken, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Best and ONLY good part of the Baldi were the hot springs. We had a fabulous time with our friends in their many many hot springs on site.

Now for the bad stuff. The room was less than mediocre and I'm not that hard to please. There is major construction going on in front of and behind the hotel room building. Nothing to see there So any "stunning views" you'd hoped for don't exist, regardless of the floor. I also noticed that I would hang our towels to dry after showering or hot springs and 24 hours later they would still be soaking wet. Not a room you want to sleep in for multiple nights. Oh, and the bed was terrible.

The WORST part is like another recent reviewer we too were overcharged. i'm gathering by at least $300. We also booked our room on booking.com so I am hoping they will help resolve. The amount they had quoted vs. what we were charged is $400 off. i'm thinking maybe it didn't include taxes but that wasn't clearly spelled out.

poor hotel, poor staff, food was ehhhh, glad we only stayed 2 nights and most definitely wouldn't go back or recommend.

Room Tip: Looking for a good room? Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

It saddens me that I have to write this review because the stay was good it's what happened after that ruined it. Two nights stay at Baldi should have cost me £248 but when I checked my bank after my stay I noticed they had taken £583.87 out of my account. I emailed them 4 days ago and have heard nothing off them. I booked with booking.com so they are hopefully sorting this huge error out. This mess up on Baldi's side has left me with no money in my bank and bank charges so as you can imagine I am annoyed. Looks like Baldi cannot be trusted with your bank details. Very sad.

The stay itself at Baldi was nice. The room was basic but that was fine. The pools were amazing, I loved the pool bars. It was good that I didn't need to carry money as I charged it to my room and paid once I checked out. Make sure you keep all booking info and receipts as they may try to over charge you and you will need to prove what have already paid. I wouldn't trust them with my bank details either after what they did to me.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!