“Worth four stars for the food alone.” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Moderne et Pigeon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Place du General Leclerc, 11300 Limoux, France   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Limoux
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Worth four stars for the food alone.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We know the restauant of this hotel well but have never actually stayed in the hotel before. Walking up the grand staircase has always been something I have wanted to do although as we know M et Mme les Patron we could have done it anyway! Yes Mme is a little reserved as stated by some reviewers but when you get to know her she is very kind. M is an amazing and jolly chef, if you aren't staying here at least go and eat out in the charming terrace courtyard at lunchtime or in the beautful dining room for a splended evening meal.
As this is a hotel as well as a good restuarant I had better review the rooms. We had a smallish room on the first floor! The fireplace in our room was as large as the bathroom, it was adequate for a three night stay. We couldn't make it to the second floor and the suites as we are old and decrepit at 60+! We were at the back of the hotel so with the huge shutters and window closed we heard nothing of the Friday market. The rooms on this floor are a little dark but we were told that, also a little old fashioned maybe. With the curtains, shutters and windows wide open onto the courtyard below it felt much better. We had a perfectly nice stay. We did not have breakfast so cannot comment on that. All in all we feel this is the best hotel in the area. All the staff are helpful including the English speaking Paula. We would recommend this hotel even if it was only for the food.

Room Tip: If you want less noise (except at lunchtime) ask for the back of the hotel over the courtyard. For l...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been coming here for more than ten years and and have seen M. and Mme gradually create their dream. Early on I returned late in the evening having forgotten my key, to a frosty reception from Mme in curlers - not so frosty however as the reception for her husband fifteen minutes later with no key either! Early in the morning I rushed out and bought a bunch of flowers and do you know since then I am always greeted with a big smile!

The decor and furnishing of the bedrooms is beautiful - miles better than the dowdy, dusty rooms of before. It is in the food however that there is the greatest change. I feel sure M. aspires to a Michelin star and on the good days it is so nearly there, but ultimately there is not quite the consistency of food or service to justify it. Even so I love the menu both the prix fixe at lunch (excellent) and the extravagant evening meal. The untrained, nervous staff of the early years have given way to better dressed more knowledgeable and (occasionally) English speaking staff today. Still a little unsophisticated but very acceptable.
Anywhere called the modern and pigeon is entitled to be a little quirky - it is part of the charm as one sits on the beautiful terrace in the sunshine sipping the elegant Limoux wines - particularly the cremant and this is why when the need to celebrate overtakes us we reach for the phone knowing that my broken French will be matched by broken English at the other end but that we will arrive home congratulating ourselves for having chosen Limoux to live and agreeing that while the town has many good restaurants, none match the M and P for a special night out.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Deepest Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed one night as a drop-in at this hotel. Madame was very welcoming and spoke good English, we were able to park at the hotel (a great bonus in a small French town) and the room was well decorated and comfortable. The bathroom was particularly good. We had dinner in the hotel as it was raining so hard that we did not want to look for local restaurants: I have reviewed the restaurant separately.

There is no lift and it was a long walk up the splendid staircase to the second floor with bags. I want to stress that there was nothing at all wrong with our stay and the hotel is delightfully, typically French: but €109 felt like quite a lot to pay for what we got.

Room Tip: If you are staying Thursday night, there is a market from 5 am on Friday morning and you may prefer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We thought this a magnificent example of a small, old French hotel. We booked without checking Trip Advisor (we saw it in the Logis book while we were driving). We arrived late (8.30pm) but they were waiting and ushered us into the beautifully decorated dining room for dinner - which was excellent - and the chef (owner?) came out smiling and wished us 'Bon Appetit!'. Huge grand staircase and stained glass windows with rooms recently decorated in nice French style however, neither of us slept well. Not sure if it was the food (delicious but rich), the bed (firm but low) or the noises (air conditioning? / external deliveries) or just us. Lovely, amusing wait-staff - I understand what people mean about the Manager - she was rather frosty, but she didn't bother us. I think with one or two 'tweaks' this would be a 'go to' destination for sure. Without the tweaks, it's worth a try if you like all things French

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have visited this restaurant regularly over the past 8 years and it has varied between the sublime and the ridiculous so I had given it a wide berth during 2011 but because I have had superb food here I thought I would give it another try. I am pleased to say that they have a very reasonable prix-fixe for lunch, approx 19 euros for three courses and the food was simple and delicious. The manic Fawlty Towers of 2 years ago has gone so one presumes that they have all been in therapy or are now taking the prozac as the welcome was warm and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oakham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Visited the restaurant with my son. Although the food was pretty good, the staff were rude and unpleasant. When we arrived, the women who took us through to the dining room looked us up and down rather disparagingly, as though our clothes were not good enough. As we're not big eaters, we chose to have a main course each, but share a starter and a pudding, We also chose a glass of wine each, rather than a bottle, as my son was driving. Our waitress was sneered when we said we were sharing the starter and dessert, and another acted in the same way when we asked for tap water. She then spilled it all over the table cloth, but didn't say sorry or clean it up. When I asked what wines they had by the glass, I was told 'Red or White' in a very offhand way, and had to ask again to get her to tell me the red wine was Merlot, but no other information or even where it came from. My impression was that they thought we were not grand or rich enough for their restaurant and wanted to make sure that we knew it. I must say I have eaten in much smarter places and been treated beautifully. When I worked in hospitality I was taught to treat every customer with respect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mill Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed overnight prior to a week at Mont Faucon (B&B also in Limoux which is stunning). We had a total party of 5 and we found the rooms to each have their own charm and personality. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was delicious. We also had dinner there one night during our stay in Limoux which was very good. Unlike the other reviews, we didn't have any particular problem with the staff and service.

Room Tip: Our room was pastel colours which was welcoming. Our friend had an all red room which was a little...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel Moderne et Pigeon? Share your experiences!