“Lunch is a bit of a find quaint place with excellent food its a bit of a secret” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Moderne & Pigeon Restaurant

Hotel Moderne & Pigeon Restaurant
Place du General Leclerc, 11300 Limoux, France
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Hotel Moderne & Pigeon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 37 Restaurants in Limoux
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a highly rated, by local standards, restaurant in a good hotel in Limoux France. We had a terrible experience - the waiters actually yelled at us for suggesting the cheese was off. The only bad meal in 2 weeks of wonderful French meals.
Lautrec, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

Had the set lunch in the courtyard here a week or so ago.
Right in the middle of Limoux which is a nice place to visit anyway.

We had a pleasant hour or so sat in a little courtyard (although the dinning room is every elegant)
Menu of the day at around 20 Euro 3 courses and very well prepared and presented food.

Very accommodating staff and a visit from the chef which is always a bonus.
There are lots of options in Limoux but this is the one I would return to and recommend as really worth a try out.

• Visited September 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Edenderry
“Elegant dining room with beautiful linen, silver and sparkling glass”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

If you are planning a really special meal in Limoux, the Moderne and Pigeon Restaurant is the perfect choice. I cannot comment on the Brasserie which has lower prices and a more limited menu. We have visited the restaurant about five times over ten years and have been charmed on each occasion.

This year we were sharing with some very special friends both of whom love gourmet food and high calibre wines. And they loved every mouthful.

The highlight of our meal was, unsurprisingly, the dish containing pigeon. Two of us had the quail stuffed with pigeon. In this main dish, the quail is boned, all but the wing, and stuffed with the lucious flesh of a pigeon and some incredibly tasty stuffing - perhaps chestnut? You can slice through the meat without obstruction which makes the meal, not only delicious, but really easy to eat.

The cheese board is actually a cheese trolley and enough to send your cholesterol soaring. But it is totally heavenly.

I know the desserts were delightful but I couldn't manage one myself and cannot remember what the others had.

Our hostess recommended the wine and our connoisseur friends loved it. Not being a drinker, I have no recall of the name.

We had a very entertaining interaction with the owners when Mme told M Jean-Luc that we had said he was the Chef (chief) only in the kitchen.

Another very successful and memorable visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice decor in courtyard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

As a group of 6 we booked for lunch, for a standard ' plat du jour' for €16 p.p. Having read previous reviews, I probably had high expectations, but found it fairly average in terms of food choices and service. It was no better and no worse than the other restaurants scattered around the main square. I think the evening meal could be considerably better, albeit considerably more expensive. If you do choose to book for lunch, make sure to specify the courtyard.

Visited August 2014
limoux
“Superbe !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have just been with 6 friends and family for my husbands birthday lunch. The menus had been specially made for us and every effort was made to make us feel welcome. The food, presentation and service were second to none and we all thoroughly enjoyed the wine that had been recommended to us.
I don't think any of our party could fault anything at all. This restaurant comes well recommended!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vero Beach, Florida
“We must have picked the wrong day to go here...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We waited a good couple of weeks before writing this review because we wanted to be completely fair and step back to reflect on our experience. Our lunch here was probably the worst we had this trip to France. In trying to determine why, we've identified 3 factors:
1. We simply picked the wrong day to go. 2. Try to avoid Alsacien dishes when in the Aude. 3) If the chef's coming out to talk to everyone when he should be in the kitchen, be suspicious. If he talks to everyone else in the room and avoids you, be really suspicious.

We've read the other reviews and many of the menus sound a lot better than what was available to us that day. I made the mistake of sitting down before reading the menu which wasn't posted outside the restaurant (but the dinner menu was). My husband spotted it on the way in but it was too late as I was already ensconced in the courtyard and loving the setting.
Our appetizers of Lyonnais sausage in brioche and cheese (forgetting which) melted atop a few greens were lack lustre. The sausage was a thick slice surrounded by burnt brioche and really not appetizing.
Our main course options were rabbit or choucroute. Andouillette was available for an extra 2 euros or a faux filet for an additional 7. I opted for the choucroute against my better judgment but I wasn't about to have rabbit or andouillette (nothing against rabbit - I'd just had it elsewhere). I really didn't want to pay extra for the steak. My husband opted for the andouillette because he's enjoyed it - elsewhere - many times previously.
The chef came out to explain to the English couple behind us what choucroute is but said there's no translation. He explained how it's made. I intervened and said it's sauerkraut. Chef and I discussed this in French and he disagreed with me. I ordered the choucroute and when it came out it was sauerkraut with a variety of meats and sausage. I knew this. I've been to Alsace and had choucroute before. It's very meat heavy and was really the oddest dish to have in the Aude but I was trying to make the best of bad options.
As for bad options, my husband's andouillette was horrible. It was deep fried on the outside but raw on the inside. He couldn't eat it and this man can eat anything. It ended up in a napkin in my handbag.
After the sauerkraut discussion, the chef came out twice to talk to diners and pointedly ignored us. Maybe he saw me putting the andouillette into my handbag... Finally, my husband said "merci" and the chef said, "what for?" I lied through my teeth and said that we'd eaten well. He grunted and said that it is normal. Really?
I must admit that the desserts were quite lovely, and filled the big holes we still had in our bellies. The dinner menu looked like it was of very high calibre and we've read some good reviews on TripAdvisor. Sadly, we won't be back to try it.
If you do decide to dine here after reading our review, the service is very good and you can enjoy a glass of blanquette de limoux as an aperitif, although you can do that anywhere in this town.

• Visited October 2013