““One of Worst Hotels......Would not recommend especially for Sri Lankans”” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Palms Hotel to your Saves list
The Palms Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Moragalla, Beruwala 0034, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #8 of 8 hotels in Beruwala
Galle, Sri Lanka
““One of Worst Hotels......Would not recommend especially for Sri Lankans””
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Location is very nice but service & other facilities not up to the standard. We (about 40 friends group) went for one night stay. Hotel Executive staff focused only on foreigners & they were not interested to take care of Sri Lankans. They treated us like their enemies. Especially front office managerial staff. The way they talk was not acceptable.

I reserved a Triple Room & they allocated me a double room. It took more than 4 hours to upgrade the room for a Triple.

* Wash room tap water salty & not suitable for a bath.

* Only one drinking water bottle provided per person in Rooms.

* Swimming pool was closed at 7pm

* Behavior of Hotel Executive Staff at their lunch/dinner table was so bad & disturbed others.

* Bad smell at some of toilets.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed at Palms with family for two days in mid October'13. There is a sense of surprise when a not so impressive narrow lane leads to this beautiful place which is indeed capacious. Beautifully laid corridor surrounded by lush greenery leads you to the reception. The courteous staff promptly attends you to make you at home. The view of the pool and the beach is a matter to experience and feel...its lovely. Breakfast menu offers ample choice to the guests.
But there is a problem with the quality of water in the wash room, it is hard and salty, not fit for bathing and brushing. And then on beach side the presence of good number of dubious persons, who are certainly not the guests of the hotel.
Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay at Palms and will certainly come back to this lovely place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bedford, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We returned from a 2 week trip to Sri Lanka a couple of weeks ago. We spent most of our time at The Palms and found it to be everything good that we had read in previous reviews here on Tripadvisor.
Our welcome was excellent and our room was spacious and well furnished. We were on the 3rd floor to the side of the main part of the hotel We had a lovely view over the gardens and through the trees to the beach and the sea. The view from the landing over the front garden of the hotel was superb. The service at the hotel from all the Staff was outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble. The staff at the bar were very friendly and enjoyed mixing different drinks for me most evenings. As soon as we arrived at the bar they already had the beer and glass(my husband liked a particular shape glass) ready before we had sat down. We found Roman to be particularly friendly and he mixes the most wonderful "Mojito's. He thought that my husband looked a little like Tom Hanks and was always making little quotes from his films to us which we thought were really amusing.
The dining room is particularly well staffed and Danesh, the Captain of the Restaurant always made sure that we had the same table each night. The food was very good, there was a lot of variety. The breakfasts were Cereals, fruits, Yoghurt & honey, Toast and of course plenty of Sri Lankan Curry. I particularly liked "Egg Corner" where you had a choice of Fried, Scrambled Eggs or Omlettes cooked while you wait. In the evening I usually tried the Curries especially the Dahl which was very tasty. There was always someone on hand to tell you(or advise you) about the curries and there strength. The Deserts were delicious, I have to mention the Ginger pudding, Banana pudding and fabulous Chocolate pudding, as I promised that I would. I asked if the Chef could be told how much I enjoyed these and the following evening he came to our table to thank us and he gave me the recipe for his Dahl curry which I had also complimented him on.
The pool is huge and very shallow for most of it although one end is around 4'8"deep. There is also a small shallow childrens pool.
When I arrived home I realised that I had left some jewellery behind, possibly it had slipped under the bed. I contacted the hotel and they said that they would check for me. The following day they emailed me to say that they had found it and that they are going to send it back to me. I was extremely impressed with this and look forward to receiving it.
I thoroughly recommend The Palms my only disappointment was that the Ayuvedic massage we were told we would have, was not available and also the Fishermans Wharf Restaurant was under refurbishment and was closed. Despite that, we had a thoroughly relaxing holiday and cant thank the staff enough for making it such an enjoyable stay.
I would like to add, that the sea has a particularly strong current so you need to be a strong swimmer if you like to swim in the sea. It is very shallow for quite a way and it is fun to jump the waves. We were pestered a little by the beach sellers, but if you say No, they will leave you alone and they will remember you next time you go on the beach and will not usually bother you.
We went on a couple of trips, one to Yala National Park which was brilliant. We saw Elephants, Crocodiles, Deer, Monkeys, Peacocks, Monitors, and best of all, we managed to see the Sri Lankan Leopard who is very elusive. We visited Galle and went on a River trip where I had my feet nibbled at by fish and got to hold a baby crocodile. We met a 9 year old Buddhist monk and had tea on an island. We went to the Moonstone mine which was very interesting and also saw the Turtle Hatchery which was also very interesting. It was a great 2 day trip. We also visited Kandy and the temple of the tooth. We went up into the hills and visited a Tea plantation. Most importantly of all we visited the Pinnewalla Elephant Orphanage and watched the irresistible baby elephants being bottle fed. We also watched them being taken to the river for their twice daily bathe. Our guide and driver for these trips was"Dhamiker" who was very knowledgeable and made the trips really interesting and fun.
If you are a nervous passenger you may wish to take some form of sedative before you get in a car in Sri Lanka, the driving is completely manic. with 2 or 3 vehicles overtaking each other at once while another car is coming towards you, and the busses, well they are something else, they race each other to the next stop to try and get the most passengers.
Overall, I highly recommend a trip to Sri Lanka, it was brilliant.

Room Tip: All rooms are good and all have a sea view
Union, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We spent only one night at palms. We should have book for more. The room was enormous. The furnishing lavish and the view spectacular. A breath taking location with a large public area. Over looking the sea. Thank you and good luck

• Stayed October 2013
Stafford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were moved to this hotel following a bad experience at another!!.we were greeted with a warm welcome and have to stay that this group of hotels is by far the best alongside jetting in Sri Lanka from what we have seen.the rooms were clean, the communal areas were clean and smelt lovely.the staff were extremely friendly.the pool was always clean and lounger available.we had a great time here.we caught the local train as the station is close to galle that is definitely an experience .we were impressed by the food and entertainment .we would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: "2nd floor view is more clear".
colombo Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Jet wing travels made our reservation at Palms, we selected palms out of ten Hotels in Beruwela,
Superb Selection , Lovely pool , well maintained ,garden , Very specious bed rooms, cean lobby ,very efficent staff ,delicious food , lovely souronding What else we accept from hotel , it was like a heven , we enjoyed lot.........

Room Tip: Upper Floor
Galle, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It was our first wedding anniversary, i just put date on registration card. Woow it was amazing durring the dinner time hotel staff arrange lovely cake on a decorative table. And our room was arranged with beautiful flowers. Never foget our first wediing anniversary experience at The Palms. Big thanks for everyone. Will be there for our second anniversary.

Room Tip: All rooms are sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!