“So nice to have a good room” 4 of 5 stars

The Long Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Koggala, Habaraduwa, Koggala, Galle, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Koggala
newcastle upon tyne
“So nice to have a good room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After seeing the guesthouse I'd booked in Unawatuna, I booked a night here instead, as I knew the rooms were good, having spent 3 weeks here in May 2012. Not disappointed at all by the room. Large room, big bed, good AC, fridge, tv, desk, WIFI, balcony. Good value

I ordered an evening meal via room service, but the Lasagne that arrived was cold. Took the food back down to Reception, & a hot replacement meal arrived within 20 mins. Ironic really, bearing in mind my only complaint on my last stay, was that far too much food was served cold.

Overall, definitely be happy to stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a horrible stay at this resort.

Our rooms on the ground floor were mouldy and dirty (don't even start me on the smell!) and the food and public areas were gross.

We changed our rooms to the second flooe and spent one night of our two night booking. The next day escaped to a beautiful B&B in Galle Fort even though we had already pre paid for our stay.

There was no way we were wasting another day of our holiday at The Long Beach Resort!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a night when visiting Koggala for a wedding. Exterior of the hotel is very dull (not sure if that was intentional or still work in progress). The view of the beach from the lobby is breathtaking. Checkin was very pleasant and the room was spacious, clean and had direct view of the beach.
Buffet breakfast was quite ordinary and there is very limited parking which is in front of the hotel beside the main Galle-Matara road. Though there were security guards, I was not too happy to park the car on a main road overnight. So I ended up tipping a hotel staff to find me a better parking spot closer to the hotel entrance.
The best thing about the hotel is the beach is almost a private one with hardly any outsiders.

• Stayed August 2013
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Lovely beach view..right next to the beach...but everything else about this place is Mediocre..the rooms are shabby...service is nothing great...i had asked for the safe to be fixed in my room as it was not working when I checked it..but it never was fixed till the end of my stay...there are not even adequate toiletries kept in the room when you check-in...i had to call up the reception again and again several times before housekeeping got me the toiletries... the food is good...but they really need to improve their service.. ......

Room Tip: choose a sea facing room in one of the ground floor wings...that would be quite close to the beach a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been here on three occasions and a lack of hospitality, warmth and service has been a consistent slap on the face here. If serving a welcome drink poured from a bottle is hospitality to you then read no further.

We booked two rooms and there was no drinking water in both! I drove to town and picked up a few bottles of water from a Sathosa store. On return I complained to the front desk and a man in tie said it was a mistake and he sent water. The bed was clean but the bathrooms were average in design.

Food was horrible! It was an efficient recycling operation. Fresh tomato slices on the salad bar from dinner were served for breakfast the following morning. Quality was obvious. The same batch of garbanzo beans were recycled over three meals and it too was obvious! Desserts are unhealthy, unpleasant and colored creams to maximize numbers. The few fresh fruit options were a savior! Buns and rolls at dinner and breakfast were hard and I leave it to your imagination.

It would be unfair to blame the staff for their lack of training, understanding/concept of service here. I think the issue lies with the attitude and situation of proprietorship. If one is looking to merely sunbathe it would be ideal if the price was right. The pool is good. There is not much you can engage within this hotel other than sleep. Probably not the best for the reader or writer. Wi-fi reception from my experience on the ground floor was poor with frequent dropped connections.

The immediate locality too is boring with nothing of interest or value. I would not visit the air force plane and canteen near the hotel. It is a matter for another review elsewhere.

If you get a good deal it would be alright for just one night. The "resort" seems to be occupied by mostly German and Russian tourists. I tipped the porter upon loading our bags into the car and the security guard too came expecting the same for a smile he never did! I would not go here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms constantly sport a wet tiled floor due to the sea breeze. Staff and patrons to th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to Long Beach without checking the Trip Advisor. Am Glad about it. Why? Because - I liked the hotel. We got first floor room- facing the see - it was awesome. The room was nice and clean. There were facilities to make tea/coffee. I spend a lot of time sitting in the balcony, looking at the sea, reading, drinking coffee and and listening to the sea, particularly in the evenings. We were there for a weekend and the hotel was almost full- it is quite a big hotel. And there was a huge crowd during dinner - both foreigners and locals.The buffet was good. For me there wasn't anything that I disliked there. If you are a bit more adventurous, you could go out and join a boat tour to Madol Duwa - a famous island situated in Koggala area. It is owned by the family of great author in Sri Lanka, Martin Wickramasinghe, also known as the Father of Sinhalese novel literature. A few minutes walk from the Hotel is a museum of folk, art and culture in his (Mr. Martin Wickramasinghe) honour. If you want to eat out there are plenty of eating places.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Room is old and tired, we are being given a room on ground floor and close to the bar that is no privacy at all, when u sit at your garden, you will see many guests, securities walking around. The toilet need renovation, also they have to come up with a method because after mopping our room that was getting whole morning wet. For buffet dinner you have no choice, the resort nearby has no buffet or the one next to us is the same buffet. Average food and becoming a bit messy. The swimming pool is not at the sea side so we didn't use at all. Koggala is quite boring. Will only visit there if they are a good package.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Long Beach Resort? Share your experiences!