“5 star, not quite sadly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Michelangelo Hotel and Spa

You added Michelangelo Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Michelangelo Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sentido, Agios Fokas 85300, Greece (Formerly Sentido Michelangelo)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Agios Fokas
“5 star, not quite sadly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late Saturday night to a very friendly welcome and a beautiful setting. Our room was more than adequate, clean and the air conditioning on for our arrival. Our room looked out (from a smallish balcony) to the sea, perfect we thought.
Whilst the staff were very friendly, particularly in the restaurant they were obviously over worked and dare I say poorly managed. So why not 5 star?
1. Number one frustration, the main bar/ drinks service. One night we counted 8 staff behind the bar, with say a 100 guests in the surrounding lounger area. Twenty minutes after ordering a night cap, I told then not to bother. The wait on average once drinks had bed ordered was 15 minutes.
2. Towels - like sandpaper
3. Having to place the empty hot beverage tray (ie coffee sachets and the like) on the bed after two days of expecting it to be refreshed when our room was cleaned didn't feel right. This was after a previous nights call to reception (a polite call I hasten to add) to ask for beverage supplies to brought to our room and 30 minutes later calling back to say "not to to bother now"
4. We were paying guests and actually felt second rate to the all inclusiveness with their grey wrist bands
5. The top bar by the pool didn't open at all, leaving the (and I must add stunning) infinity bar pool rather full
6. Towels on sun loungers....oh dear, signs everywhere. Did anyone take any notice, no. Did the hotel do anything about it, no.
The spa I have to say was excellent, one of the best massages I have ever had and the staff were extremely friendly.
Would I recommend? Probably if the above don't bother you.
Would I return, doubtful.
I do hope the management read this and rather than a standard response, sort out the little ATD's - attention to detail and please the bar service!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MichKos, Manager at Michelangelo Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Jon S
We have red your comments very carefully.
There is no intention to reply by giving any standard response.
We already proceeded to relevant feasible arrangements and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future so you can witness yourself any progress we may present.
Thank you once more for your constructive observations.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Faversham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Not a bad place to spend a week. Waiting staff very friendly and attentive. Food mostly ok and rooms nice and clean. Drinks are reasonably priced and the whole place is well decorated. Both pools are lovely.

On the downside, the bar was closing as we arrived at around 1.00am. I thought they were joking when they said we couldn't have a drink. Not a great first impression.

Don't expect spacious accommodation. Our junior 'suite' was very intimate. It did however have a separate sitting room (not air conditioned so a bit useless) and a huge balcony.

Normally at this kind of resort we would spend a few hours chilling in the spa waiting for a late flight and spend unused euros on treatments. Not here. It's €10 each just to get into the spa. I've never had to pay to get into the spa while staying at a spa hotel. And never will. Big black mark.

On the upside we were offered use of a shower room to spruce up while we waited. The one door had no locks, the showers were dirty, had no doors and one had no light. Both were littered with discarded toiletry detritus. The ante room was strewn with dirty towels. I managed to pick up the last clean one.

This place could be great but misses the mark. We wouldn't recommend unless you got a spanikng deal. To see how it should be done, stay at the Doubletree Helona resort at the other end of the island. That IS five star.

Selby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel was clean and modern, but we felt our Premier room was small for 5*. The staff were pleasant and efficient, but understaffed and over-worked in the Lobby Bar at peak times. However, although we enjoyed our stay, we were on 'all inclusive' and did feel we were treated liked 2nd class citizens, in that paying clients tended to get served first. We were allowed one meal in the al-a-carte restaurant, but were given a set meal menu not the al-a-carte menu, which paying guests were given.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MichKos, Manager at Michelangelo Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear OB Selby
On behalf of the entire team of MICHELANGELO RESORT & SPA, I wish to thank you for your kind preference in our hotel, as well as, for your constructive comments which will assist us to improve our services.
I sincerely wish to assure you that we consider every single guest - no matter what kind of agreement he has with our hotel - as a valuable asset, since it is our guests that are contributing to the successful operation of Michelangelo Resort & Spa this year.
At this point allow me to underline that our “motto” to our staff for this season is “Be the client!!”
Wishing you all the best for the rest of the summer period
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Our room was amazingly clean and comfortable. The staff were fantastic, professional and everyone we spoke to was friendly. We stayed half board and the breakfast and the evening meal was more than we could have hoped for. We were lucky with the weather as it was in Ye late 30's. there was a consistent sea breeze. Fantastic infinity pool we stayed by the pool all week. Easy to get to the beach which has sun loungers and yes it's pebbly but lovely clear water. The little touches like hot towels and snacks and water whilst we were checking in was well appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have just got back from a fab week in a beautiful hotel. The view from the room, the mostly warm welcoming staff, the facilities are all brilliant. The food although being feed your self hot buffet was varied and surprisingly good. Does mean there is often a interesting mix but all is fresh if a little over done. You definitely won't go hungry! We did all inclusive and it was well worth it for the cocktails round the pool and making sure you were never too hungry. The bar service is done by lovely people but you do have to endure a good wait in the main bar in the evening. The entertainment leaves a little to the imagination but is probably not always directed at the younger audience or involves some painful euro pop.

All in all we had an amazing week in a beautiful location, the staff are lovely and if you want a beautiful hotel to lounge by a amazing pool or two you can't go far wrong.

Efharisto

Anglesey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

First of all this Hotel is not near 5 star! The place is very clean. location is ok but not great, but we knew that before going. The infinity pool is fantastic with a nice view but it does get very windy down there. The food is ok but so repetitive after a couple of days. We went All Inclusive

Good Points -
Clean
Infinity Pool

Bad Points -
Night Entertainment, absolutely awful
Drink service, if you get more than 1 drink every 1 & half hours you are doing well(not sure which is the best option, all inclusive or half board with drinks anywhere between £5 & £9 each
Food, same thing every day
Miserable Staff, only the cleaners smiled

Really Bad Points -
Night Entertainment, cant stress enough how bad it is, and with only sky news and bbc news on the telly it gets very boring, and don't expect proper Wi-Fi . So Kos Town it had to be(but very expensive)

Drink Service(again), they don't like you going to the bar, they prefer you to sit by a table with waiter service and they are so slow (on purpose obviously). I'm not a big drinker but when I'm on Holiday I like to have a few at night, but here you will do well to get more than 4 drinks in a night, a lot of people was complaining about it. At least you wont get a hangover!

They need to sort out these things before they can call it 5 star, definitely invest in some proper entertainment!!!!!!!

Dear Alun H
I honestly thank you for letting us know about the various difficulties you have encountered during your stay in our hotel. This is something which certainly gives us the opportunity to become better in our effort to offer a better service to our guests.
But allow me to ask if this is enough? And in order to explain myself, I dare to ask if “is it enough to spend the whole vacation encountering several problems without bringing anything to the attention of the relevant supervisors of the hotel?”
Furthermore “how does it help any one’s vacation to become better, the fact that he chooses to say nothing on the spot, but returning home to bring all this matters to the attention of other potential clients?” In this way he definitely provides the others with certain information but, does not make his vacation better.
And on the other hand, does he really assist the others?
Judging from your observations I cannot really say.
Dear Mr. Alun kindly do not mistake me. I am just trying to understand what went wrong with your stay. You see mean while other clients who stayed the same period of time in our hotel, left with the best memories.
You are referring (twice) to how awful the night entertainment is, but you do not give us a clue what precisely you didn’t like, or any suggestions.
At this point and in order all our potential clients have the right picture allow me to describe our weekly night entertainment program.
- Monday Music by our Animation team
- Tuesday Live Orchestra performing Greek and International rhythms and songs
- Wednesday Disco Night
- Thursday Moon light dinner with Live Saxophone (and key boards)
- Friday Greek evening with Live Orchestra and Folklore Dancers
- Saturday Music (and dancing) by our Animation team
- Sunday Fakir Show
You also refer (again twice) to the delayed service in our bar and that our barman did not like you to go to the bar. It is the same barman that received several times so far, congratulations by our guest about his attitude. But even if he said something and offended you, this is why we are here (supervisors and I). Please let us know on the spot and allow us to become better. Don’t let the time pass and do nothing.
In regards to our prices, they start from 3, 50 € for a drought beer (330 ml) and go up to 7, 00 € for a cocktail (long drinks are at 6, 50 € and aperitifs at 5, 00 €).
Last but not least for your comment “miserable staff” I would kindly ask you to reconsider your phrase since it is seriously insulting our hotel employees and the hotel itself. We are DEFINITELY not miserable mr Alun. This is something that we certainly do not consider ourselves and a lot of other guests verify and certainly you can witness it, through numerous comments in the Tripadvisor pages.
Dear Sir, allow me to repeat that we took, as always, into serious consideration your remarks but you should not also deny the fact that we have the right to give relevant explanations and ask for more specified analysis of some of your remarks. In this way we will really benefit from your comments and I want to believe that was the reason you have written it.
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacation and I will be really glad to meet you in the future should you decide to return.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a keen swimmer I would have to say that this is the best holiday I have ever had. The infinity pool which covers the length of the south end of the hotel complex is simply perfect: large enough so that people could bob and admire the stunning views while others could do lengths, plus it was the perfect temperature for cooling off on those scorching 30C+ sunny, cloudless days. But there are a number of other pools, my favourite of which was the quiet little pool up near Juliano's Bar. Then of course there was the Aegean: just one big pool! The weather was gorgeous while we were there and although the wind was very strong from time to time, it was great for travellers who were only accustomed to this year's Great British springtime (i.e. cold and wet weather). We feared we would be eaten alive by mossies but there were none.

The numerous areas to sunbathe meant that it was not too difficult to find a lounger during our stay, although the best spots were often taken early and some annoying people continued to insist on saving loungers and not using them despite requests by the hotel not to. The hotel provided beach towels and an exchange service for these, which we thought was great.

Our room was beautiful and large enough for two sisters sharing a twin room. The bathroom was acceptable but as mentioned in other reviews - the hair dryer was less powerfull than the very windy weather outside and the shower water did spray across the floor, but the floor was tiled and had a drain in it so this was obviously designed to cope with a bit of water. The balcony was great for views of the sea and the awesome rocky hill beside which the complex is built. From here we could also see the maids working incredibly hard to get all the rooms clean and tidy.

We were staying half board and the food was fresh and varied with more than enough choice to cater for all tastes. Really if you don't like the choice of food here then there's no pleasing you. I will say however that we found competing with other greedy guests at the buffet quite demeaning and would deliberately try to avoid busy times so that the process wasn't so stressful: there was more than enough to go around so why some people felt the need to grab so much, I don't know. An a la cart meal at the Mediterraneo restaurant one night was heavenly in comparison. I understand why the hotel has to cater in this way so my complaint was really with my fellow guests. The staff in the restaurant helped to provide a friendly, approachable face during buffet mealtimes, so thanks to the restaurant manager Nikolas and his staff.

We came here for a much needed break and loved the hotel so much that we literally did not leave for the 7 days we were staying. I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: As others have said, a room with a sea view is a bonus but the gardens and natural surroundings are...