“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Michelangelo Hotel and Spa

You added Michelangelo Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Michelangelo Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sentido, Agios Fokas 85300, Greece (Formerly Sentido Michelangelo)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Agios Fokas
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked this hotel for a last minute family holiday in Kos sun with two teenage daughters and it exceeded our expectations. Highlights were excellent rooms with quiet air conditioning, infinity pool and great variety of buffet food at breakfast and dinner. Easy access to Kos town in 15 minutes on bus which starts at hotel. Like other reviewers we were concerned about the food quality after reading previous reviews but we were completely satisfied by quality and range on offer. In fact the food was as good as if not better than our favourite (and much more expensive!) hotel in Crete.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Clackmannanshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here for 7 nights fron 16th to 23rd July. The holiday was somewhere between fine and good, with the potential to be quite a bit better.

The hotel is very nice. It looks like it was built just a couple of years ago and has been decorated to a very high standard. It is cleaned constantly by a friendly and dedicated team of cleaners.The pools are immaculate and the view from the infinity pool is incredible. There are usually sunbeds available, but all the best ones are taken by 9.30...choose a long lie or get up early and try and get a decent sunbed.

The resort is at the end of the main road through the island. From what we saw of the other resorts this looks to be in the quietest area and by far the least 'chavvy'.

The food is fine. But no more than that. I am a very fussy eater and I didn't go hungry. Men MUST take long trousers for dinner (jeans are OK). No long trousers = no entry, no exceptions. They had two more formal dresscode nights while we were there - one 'black and white' and one 'white to red'. The only long trousers I had were the jeans I had travelled in, so I felt a bit out of place on these evenings. I was a bit hacked off at thomson for not telling us about these evenings, meaning we couldn't go prepared.
Service is fine - the waiter that works at the back of the foodhall and looks like Hulk Hogan is easily the friendliest. There seemed to be three choices for lunch at the hotel. 18euros per person for the foodhall, approx 8 euros per person for the a la carte restaurant by the infinity pool, or 4 euros per person for toasted sandwiches at the pool bar (all exclusive of drinks).

The main downside of the holiday is that we always felt we were missing something....like we had missed a meeting where the workings of the hotel were explained to us (we had gone to the Thomson rep welcome meeting and were unaware if anything else had been available). We didn't work out how to put drinks onto the room until late on, we didn't know about the long trouser rule until I was denied entry the first night, we didn't know whether there was any entertainment on any night or what time it started, we didn't know what activities were available at the hotel, we didn't know there was an 'entertainment' room until the last day when we went down to get changed for the flight.....which brings me to the 'chamber of secrets'. We had to check out at 12pm, but wait for a 9pm coach. I had heard there were changing facilities available during those times, so asked at the desk. I was told to go downstairs and 'turn right' - which I did. I found myself faced with a large hallway with 10 closed wooden doors....none with any signs, names etc. I tried a few and found them locked. I tried the last one and it opened....onto a group of 4 partially clothed women. It turns out that was the changing room - un-lockable and to be shared by every person checking out that day. Crazy set-up for a 4 star plus resort.

One big tip - don't run out of cash. If you do you'll find you can't buy anything in the mini market or local shop, and can't get the bus into kos to get to a cashline because you don't have the fare. Also no shop / bar at kos airport take cards, so you must have cash.

Overall the holiday was fine, and if I was going back to Greece I would probably go here again.

ps - don't pay extra for a sea view room - 90% of the rooms have sea views so you'll probably end up in one anyway.

Conwy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We have just returned from a relaxing and most enjoyable stay at the Michelangelo Hotel. The rooms were lovely, large and very clean with a good size balcony overlooking the sea and Turkey. The swimming pools at the hotel were amazing and spotless.

We were worried about the restaurant after reading previous reviews, however we were not disappointed, plenty of choice and different themes most evenings. It would have been helpful to know before going that men are required to wear long trousers in the restaurant for dinner.

The bar staff were all very pleasant although service could be a little slow at times. Drinks prices were as you would expect for this grade of hotel.

We had a really enjoyable and relaxing stay here and would have no hesitation in recommending the Michelangelo.

Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We have just returned from the island of Kos where we stayed at the fabulous Michelangelo Sensimar hotel! We had a fantastic holiday, filled with relaxation, sun and peaceful atmosphere. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous - it is one of very few hotels that in reality perfectly matches its official web site / travel agency presentation. The spot is perfect for couples and the ones wishing to combine daily relaxation with dynamic nightlife of the nearby city of Kos! The staff was absolutely friendly (special thanks go to our friend Georgios from the restaurant and the excellent and charming photographers). All in all - first class and we would truly recommend this hotel to anyone having doubts whether to book it or not.

BoDa

P.S. Of course, if you plan to enjoy it 100%, you should bring your beloved partner to make it a truly memorable experience (as I did, and for that I thank my beautiful girlfriend :))

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I've just arrived back from a fantastic stay at the Michelangelo on the lovely island of Kos. This hotel is extremely smart, the rooms are decorated to a very high standard, the bar is lovely although service could be a little slow and the price of drinks is very very expensive. 10 euros for 2 fresh orange juices at the welcome meeting. Food is good and plenty of choice for even the fussiest of eaters! The infinity pool is fantastic and loved the swim up bar and jacuzzi. I would also highly recommend paying a little more for a sea view. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Michelangelo but have to add how disappointed I was that there was no rooms available on the last day and we had to book out of our room at 12 noon with an 8pm pick up. We had to queue for 1 shower room for over an hour. This is not 5 star standard!

Eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We have just returned from a 7 nights half board stay at this beautiful hotel. We were greeted with champagne upon arrival (at 1am in the morning and the staff were still polite & smiling!) We were impressed to see how lovely our room was, a really high standard of décor, and super comfy huge bed. The service was impeccable in all the bars, and restaurant, the food was excellent (contrary to other reviews on here we thought a great choice, something and more for any taste-buds) there was a different theme every night and it was super clean, well presented and contrary again all the staff serving were brilliant! The gym (fitness room) facilities were good, 2 new treadmills, a couple of bikes, a x trainer and some weights and air con that works and was never crowded so good for a quick work out! The spa was nice also. The infinity pool was quite spectacular - although my only negative comment would be it was sometimes windy but I don't think this is anything to do with the hotel?!....

Room Tip: Garden room was fine, although I guess a sea view would be nicer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Ok I think it's time for an honest and correct review of this Hotel.

Rooms-
The rooms are gorgeous and decorated beautifully, nearly all that I saw had stunning sea views that you would see on a holiday advert, pure amazing! They were cleaned daily by the friendly chambermaids and when we arrived were made up like there was an A list celeb coming. Ladies there are hairdryers in the bathroom but unless you want to spend all holiday drying your hair then bring your own. Included is a fridge and air con which is great when hot.
The slight downside is the shower, yes it's built in the wrong place but the bathroom does not get wet when you have a shower like some people say, all you have to do is use your brain and move it slightly with less water pressure!

The breakfast was plentiful and fresh, yes slightly geared towards Germans but hey your on holiday so give it a try,? The evening food changed regular and to sit outside with a glass of vino was pure bliss.

Pool

Oh my god what can I say the pools are to die for, especially the main infinity pool that looks out at Turkey!
There is one inside which charge 5 euros which is a little cheeky but not to bothered as on holiday. To save precious luggage allowance don't bother with beach towels as they are provided on sun loungers daily, I wish Thomson told us this as we had 8 kilos of towels and not used them once.

Hotel

The hotel is stunning with gorgeous gardens and new surroundings, the drinks are slightly pricey but you get what you pay for. Some people on here say they felt alienated etc and that the restaurant host was rude, well, if you are demanding and let more Germans than English bother you then yes I would be rude to you too! All staff were lovely and kind to us, the restaurant host has a look like he wants to murder you but all you need to do is be friendly and he's a laugh, he's not rude at all, they can't do enough for you.

The hotel is on the quiet side but that's why we booked it, we also hired a scooter to view the island just so we got a different scenery. The location is very windy but it helps immensely when it's boiling hot, and refreshing on the evening.

Overall great location, great staff, food is good and the location is somewhat stunning.

Relax and unwind at it's best!

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Michelangelo Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!