“Excellent food and fantastic people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Los Roques

Restaurante Los Roques
Calle La Marina, 16 | Los Abrigos Granadilla, 38618 Los Abrigos, Tenerife, Spain
+34 922 74 94 01
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Restaurante Los Roques is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Los Abrigos
Cuisines: Contemporary, Eclectic, International
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Restaurante Los Roques offers some of the finest dining in Tenerife. With fresh ingredients sourced from local fishermen and farmers, the food is delightfully seasonal and prepared with the utmost attention to detail. In addition to the regularly changing a la carte options, there is a tasting menu, which gives the diner the opportunity to try a wider range of dishes. Wines include an excellent selection of both local and better known international offerings and there is an extensive cocktail list. With sunset views across the bay, this is a must visit restaurant for food lovers, those in search of a romantic air and anyone looking for somewhere to celebrate a special occasion.
Harrow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and fantastic people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We are annual pilgrims to Los Roques, and it never fails to delight. The menu this year featured a few favourites as well as some new dishes, and was uniformly excellent.

The pick of the bunch for our party were the prawn bisque, grilled octopus and tod mun pal starters, and the rabbit and beef rib mains. Peter the owner is happy to guide you through an interesting and reasonably priced wine list featuring many canarian wines, and the service is, as always, slick, unhurried and unobtrusive.

Finally, one of our party was unfortunately taken ill (NOT due to the restaurant) and the staff were fantastic - many many thanks

See you next year!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Exceptional and impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten her twice this week after my partner discovered this exceptional restaurant on a previous trip. There excellent service, attention to detail and exquisite food is one of the best things ever in Tenerife. Highly recommend as you will not be disappointed

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Essex
“Came Valentines Day, Top Class Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I booked the restaurant for me and my fiance;back in December to be able to make sure we had a table booked for Valentine's Day, being i was proposing on the day, we had a table booked for 7pm so when they opened, we were served i think by Peter? [Sorry if i got your name wrong] when we were seated, we decided on two Bucks fizz after wondering what the two charges were for [One for Cava, One for Champagne], we had the bread that they offered; we didn't really bother with Starters, as the mains looked enough.

My Fiance had the Fish dish, which was the "Fish of the Day" and i had the "Beef Rib Dish",Being advised that what i had will take a while to cook due to it being beef, and it was explained to me that the meat might be a bit stringy but that's normal,

"One of the best meals ive ever had" That was from my Fiance,

We also had desert, which was So nice, All in all came to roughly €70 which isn't bad,

Would be back for a special occasion in Tenerife, Thank you Los Roques

Please make sure you book a Reservation aswell, as people were being turned away with it being busy

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Food good, service slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had high expectations given the rating on trip advisor but the restaurant did not live up to them. Food was quite nice but the service was very slow; The waiter got our order wrong which meant waiting another 15 minutes for our meal. Otherwise the location is beautiful and very pleasant.

LosRoques, Owner at Restaurante Los Roques, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hi Peter,

I'm (another) Peter, the owner at Los Roques, and it was me that served you when you visited us for lunch.

Yup, you're absolutely right, we were slower than usual on that day. There was a gap between the starters and the mains, and I did indeed order the mixed leaf salad with cheese for you instead of the mixed leaf salad with prawns, delaying your wife's main course further whilst the prawns were sauteed. If I'd known you only had a two hours in which to dine I would certainly have pushed your order ahead of the other tables.

Also, sorry if the dessert presentation was a bit hap-hazzard - it was actually me that made them! We were so busy that with the chef under pressure (we were the only two working in the restaurant at the time) with all the other orders I abandoned the dining room briefly to make these for you rather than delay you further - the children clearly wanted dessert and I didn't want you to miss your plane!

Try as hard as we might we don't always get it right and this was one of those days, sorry about that. I'm glad you enjoyed the food, however, and hope you'll dine with us again if ever you make it back to Tenerife.
Redhill, United Kingdom
“They dont know how to treat people”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were asked to arrive promptly at 7pm as they had tables booked for 7.30. We arrived at 6.45 and were refused entry to the open deck table to even sit and wait . We were told we could not sit there and no drinks would be served as the staff were not it yet. In other words P off till later.
We went up the road for a drink until 7. Most people said they would not have gone back. When we returned the man who refused us access served us drinks ( not other staff) We wished we had not returned as my beef was apalling, having been told we had to wait as they wanted to get it just right! When queried should it be this stringy and tough I was told that's how it should be . Yes they did deduct it from the bill! My wife's belly pork was not rendered correctly and there was no cracking surface to it. We have eaten there 3 times previously but our treatment on this night means we will never return. The only up side was that the starters were nice.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
LosRoques, Owner at Restaurante Los Roques, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Hello,

I'm Peter, owner at Los Roques, and it was me that served you along with Silviu on the night you visited us.

I'm terribly sorry that your experience was such a negative one.

It is true that we ask people to arrive on time, especially when we are very busy. In the past we've had the experience of some tables arriving late and others early meaning that everyone arrives together.

We time the reservations for the kitchen as we are a small team and with only 2 chefs in the kitchen we simply can't produce all the food if everyone arrives at the same time. When customers do arrive early or late we explain that there may be delays and we will do our best to accommodate them. We understand that a late arrival is often beyond the control of the customer.

It is also true that we don't permit entry before 7pm. Again, this is from experience. Once there are customers seated in the restaurant other customers often want to enter, and it's hard to explain that they can't if we already have other customers seated. It becomes even worse if we've started serving drinks before 7pm.

We use the time before opening to perform a number of final preparations before service in the bar, kitchen and dining rooms, as well as preparing ourselves! An example is the breadsticks on the table; these are removed from the oven just before 7pm and portioned into their holders to ensure they're as fresh as possible over the whole evening. Customers arriving before 7pm therefore wouldn't have them.

If we're serving customers we can't perform these tasks, and if we're not ready at 7pm because we've been serving customers then we have to continue these tasks beyond 7pm. This has a negative effect on service for other customers for the first 30 minutes or so.

We've even had a situation where customers arriving at 6:40 and ordering only main courses subsequently complained about having to wait until 7:30 for their food to arrive. It was after this incident that we set an absolute policy to refuse entry before 7pm.

I'm really sorry that this upset you, and apologise if this was expressed badly at the time causing you distress.

The beef dish is very popular. It does take longer to prepare, as even for service it's a long slow cook. The preparation has several steps, including a low-heat overnight cook for about 8 hours. During service, even though we start the beef as soon as it is ordered, the way it is prepared means that it can sometimes be delayed. I'm sorry this wasn't explained to you when you ordered.

The cut is short-rib, where the meat is made up of long muscles fibres. The slow cook breaks down the connecting tissue, leaving the "stringy" appearance of the long fibres. However, the slow cook also means that the meat is not tough and breaks apart, though the fibres do need to be cut.

Normally we check food that is returned to the kitchen, whether or not there has been a complaint. In your case we couldn't as you had finished the dish. In these circumstances it is rare for me to fully refund an item, but as I recognised you as a regular customer and trusted you to be truthful I removed the item from the bill entirely. I'm sorry that you feel you were mistreated in this respect.

My sincerest apologies to your wife for the pork. It's unfortunate that this wasn't mentioned to us on the night, we would have done everything we could to correct our mistake.

Further, I'm sorry you felt you couldn't discuss your disappointment with me at the time. Although we keep notes, after 2 months it is harder to recall what actually happened. We always pay attention to our customers and do our utmost to make you happy - ultimately having satisfied customers is why we do what we do.

Peter.