“Excellent Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just spent October week here for the second year, Hotel is excellent, food is awesome, Animation team are fantastic. We booked a superior family room with Sunmaster and requested a swim too room. Unfortunately when we arrived ( at 3am ) we were put into a room in the main block with no swim too and considerably smaller. We spoke to the reception first thing in the morning who advised us Sunmaster had not booked the correct room. They did move us the next day to an upstairs room overlooking the swim to rooms. Plenty of spaced but the wife and kids disappointed at not getting to swim from the balcony first thing in the morning. There are a large number of wasps here and some family's did find it a problem, if you don't attack the wasps they won't attack you, and stay away from Orange or Lemon drinks the wasps love it. For airport transfers I would stay away from Lord Travel, have now booked four private taxis with them and only one ever turned up. This year the bus was at the hotel before us, and we had to wait at the airport for 30mins before being put on a mini-bus that was already sitting there. Our airport return never showed up and I had to call the taxi company and arrange for another mini-bus to collect us and another family. We will be booking for next year, but not with Sunmaster or Lord travel.

Room Tip: For a family choose a Swim too Room.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just back from a weeks stay at this hotel stayed in room 940 after slight mix up with rooms spoke to MENas fab guy sorted me and my family out and placed us in 940 was huge room with swim up balcony very clean food was to die for very tasty various choices every day my daughter who is very fussy always found something nice to eat staff were 100 per cent helpful stratos was like our own personal waiter always making sure we had drink or food at the pool which again was like your own personal pool would definitely return next year one of the best hotels I've stayed and 1st time to corfu delighted with everything thanks again MENas for helping to make our stay very pleasurable. Animation team Best yet and I do not have little ones but they offered a wide range of activities for all and night shows great . Val beeney glasgow

• Stayed October 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First of all the negative points- I read on here that the mini bar was filled up every second day with alcoholic and soft drinks, it is not anymore (this finished last year apparently), just water bottles. Also I heard reviewers say you were given rolls on arrival if arrived in the middle of the night, we were offered nothing and had to queue for around 30 minutes at reception after a long journey as there was only one member of staff on reception to deal with checking in, with tired kids on tow this wasn't ideal. Also, the wasps are everywhere and quite annoying! A word of warning, if you are a wine drinker, like me, the wine is borderline undrinkable, and it takes a lot for me to say that! I tried it with ice, with 7up, with soda, and still, not good but that is typical of Greek wine, it is quite different to other types! The red is slightly better than the white, just slightly.

Now for the positives, the location was lovely- v short stroll to the beach and lots of sunbeds and spots to pick from around various pools (we had a swim up room but have to say I wouldn't pay for this again off season as we only used it briefly, the bar here was closed and it was nearly always deserted so we headed to main pool or beach every day, however if you want a quiet spot right beside your room in which to swim in v cold salt water, go for it, the sea is warmer though!). The three restaurants at the front- Chinese, Greek and Italian (special recommendations for the pork ribs in the Chinese and seafood risotto in the Italian) were all great. Same wine as the bars there sadly and you can only get soft drinks, wine or beer (in small glasses) at any of the restaurants. The main restaurant is fine with lots choice, note it is self service other than for drinks and the drink service was slow even in low season, would advise taking your drinks with you. The cocktails are variable and strong! My favourite of these, and I tried them all many times to make sure ;) was the Roda Beach Cocktail (brandy based).

Entertainment- well the Animation program in October was a little half hearted to say the least although the people seemed fun and enthusiastic enough, consists of one short game near the main pool around noon then a short dance on the bridge during the day, then a kids disco (the same songs every night in the same order, even my kids objected to this, by day 3 I refused to sit inside until it was over, and it was definitely more geared to under 5's than anything else) then bingo every night apart from Greek night (Thursday) followed by some variable in house entertainment (public karaoke, singing and dancing type thing). I noted stretching, bowls and aqua aerobics were on the timetable every day and yet never done, this is disappointing. I would also expect professional entertainers in the evenings from outside for this class and rate of hotel. There was meant to be a kids club and teenage base, there was no open kids club as far as we could see, there was a small area with a pool table (2 euros a game which seems a bit steep) and a few computer/driving games, the kids club was boarded up with sandbags. We asked them why they didn't use the lovely amphitheater near the beach and they said it was too cold- it was not and would have been ideal for some kids entertainment, getting them to do a show etc even during the afternoon, total waste it wasn't used.

Second best point though for whole family in regards to entertainment- the water slide (use goggles and an inflatable to avoid a mouthful of seawater, most unpleasant) free pedalos, canoes, 5 a side football pitch, tennis (deposit) and table tennis (deposit) which kept us all entertained. I can imagine at high season though that it would be near impossible to get on these so book into them all via reception asap. Note that you need to book for the 3 restaurants at the front as well via a computer terminal to the left of reception.

High point- definitely the staff especially the lovely barmen (and lifeguard), one who's name I can't recall sadly, kindly kept all the leftover photos of my family (there is a professional photographer who visited on our last night and left them in the lobby during our day of departure) and gave us them for free, how lovely. The service from them was amazing, noticing when your drink was empty, remembering what you were drinking, banter but always with manners etc. If you are fussy about not drinking out plastic cups (not the best for cocktails) then stick near the bar at the back near the main pool, to the right of the table tennis) as you only get glasses there or in the restaurants.

So that's it! Would I go back? Perhaps! I would book it directly via the hotels own website though, and the flights separately, as much cheaper as via Thomas Cook and as usual I didn't use the rep services at all, only saw her once v briefly at the welcome meeting (which wasn't that welcoming frankly, she lacked enthusiasm to say the least). And don't book if you are after full entertainment or a kids club, that just isn't there! And the transfer is definitely nearer an hour/90 mins than two hours and I would imagine quite easy to organise yourself.

Final notes, a few euros tips here and there to particularly helpful and kind staff is well worth doing and greatly appreciated. I wouldn't advise using the hotel shop, walk two mins along to the right of the beach and use the shop there, it's about half the price for most things! Or use the ones in Roda (ten mins walk along to right of beach). There is a hut with spare lilo's in it at the outside animation base, kids can ask to use those rather than pay for the overpriced ones from the shop, ours was burst in two hours and 20 euros wasted. Wifi- very patchy and in main reception only, you can pay (we didn't but heard that some people did and still got patchy service). We didn't travel outwith Roda but did quite fancy a trip to Sidari, 30 euros return from nearby Roda, or a bus is 3.80 euro each. Corfu as a whole is beautiful, the weather even in October was gorgeous (cooled slightly towards the end of our week 10-17 Oct, would say 25c on average over the week) swimming in the beautiful clear sea is a joy and the people are warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the swim up room, I wouldn't again as that pool was deserted and nobody on the...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Riga, Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I think this is the best trip where I ever been. Love the hotel, animation are great. They are friendly, funny and like a family . Just because of the animation, you feel like home, didnt expect that they will be so great. Food was unreal delicious. Best vacation in my life.
Staff in hotel was so helpful. Hotel and rooms was so clean. All you guys are great. Tnq.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed in a few Mitsis hotels and they are all of the same high standard.

Mitsis Roda beach is probably one of the better ones I have stayed in. The hotel itself is lovely and is kept very clean.

The rooms are equally as nice.

The hotel is a bit out of the way, so if you want to go anywhere ideally you need to get a taxi or bus. Although you can walk along the beach to Roda, it is small but there is some shops, and a few places to eat & drink.

The hotel is also on a hill, so there is a few slopes and steps to deal with. Although there was golf buggies that could pick you up and drop you off.

There is plenty of restaurants and bars, the ones on the beach are lovely.

I would stay here again.

I stayed in March 2009.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here during the last week of August 2014. The good points were amazing weather, a variety of lovely pools, a good Chinese restaurant, readily available ice cream and a very clean and well maintained hotel. The bad points mainly related to how extremely busy the hotel was. We never once sat down to eat at a made up table and had to wait for drinks for a ridiculously long time. This was such a shame as it could have easily been sorted out by allowing self service. It also created unnecessary tension as you had to ask staff over and over again where the drinks were. We all enjoyed the food, though it was a bit of a bun fight trying to get it! The choice for kids was a bit limited at times, but there was always pasta to fall back on. There were some lovely roasts and the choice of desserts and cheeses was good. We were a bit disappointed with our room which was a fair distance from the main areas of the hotel and near the road, but it was adequate for a weeks stay and very clean. The walk to and from the room was a bit dangerous as there was a lot of traffic on a narrow road (often buses) and no path! The beach was quite dirty and the sand was not very inviting (dark colour), but you could paddle out for a good distance so it was really safe for little ones. Our kids took bread buns to feed the fish and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't venture far from the hotel but it seemed very quiet. The journey from the airport was very long. We took a private transfer and were glad we did as it was still a 50 minute journey by taxi and our driver put his foot down (:-0). It is true that there were no where near enough sun beds for the number of guests. We just made do and sunbathed on the grass if necessary. I dread to think what time you would have to be out to reserve a bed! I think if we had travelled here out of peak season it would have been much nicer, but we still enjoyed ourselves and had a really nice time. I probably wouldn't go back to this hotel, but would definitely recommend Corfu.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just returned from a week here, and was pleasantly surprised.

Having stayed at other all-inclusive resorts toward end-of-season, me & my wife fully expected some of the facilities to be shut at the hotel. However this was not the case, as the beach-bar, and the 3 a-la-carte restaurants (Chinese, Greek, Italian) were all open.

First the room. Couldn't have wished for a better view. We requested a high floor, and were allocated room 160. A fantastic view looking towards Albania. Top stuff.

The hotels itself was very contemporary in design and the lounge area with big oversize sofas was to our liking. Enjoying a coffee or a liqueur here was very comfortable.

The staff. Service was exemplary. The Greek waiters/bar staff were all fantastic. A little bit of banter, with regard to their local football teams went a long way. It really was 5star service. When the bar staff spotted you needed a top-up or another beverage, they were quick to bring another to your table.

The food. As with many all-inclusive, you will always find people complaining, however the food choice here was outstanding. My wife being a picky eater, found more than enough. A varied range with different types for all sorts. Anyone that could't find something new here surely needs to open their horizons.

The restaurants. I've firstly got to specifically mention the restaurant manager, who was such a genuinely lovely person. Always on hand to greet and wasn't adverse to help out serving.
We found the booking process very easy. We tried the Greek and the Italian. First the Greek. Being very meaty-based dishes, my wife struggled a little however i loved the kebabs. Specifically cooked to your liking was a lovely touch.
The Italian. We actually visited this beach-front setting twice. The food was sublime. The Calzone pizza was so tasty.

Now the flaws. The wi-fi. The hotel offers two-hours free wi-fi, however this is only in the reception area, and the signal is very hit and miss. To receive wi-fi in your room, you have to pay, and although we didn't, a lady from Liverpool did and she informed us that she was having problems with signal etc. Whether this is limited to the hotel is hard to gauge as Corfu is an island, and realistically how good is their internet at best of times?

Now the major one. Wasps. They are everywhere. Bothering you whilst sat out on front of the beachbar, bothering you around the sun-loungers, on the beach. They are a nightmare. We tried sitting out on the balcony to have breakfast, and they are there, buzzing and putting you off your pastries. Could the hotel do something about them? Maybe, but as soon as you get rid of their nests, they would soon build a new one I suspect.

The hotel was nowhere near capacity when we stayed so we never had to queue for drinks or at mealtimes, but we could tell from the scope, that if full, this might have been a problem. We never had a problem finding a sun-lounger or never had to wait too long for drinks to be served.

The walk to Roda along the beach was pleasant enough. About five-ten minutes max. Not advisable though in the dark. However a few solar-powered lights along the beach could solve this.

Massive tip. Try the Skouna bar in Roda. Their massive dish-sized doughnuts are to die for. Very reasonable price-wise too.

Overall, a lovely hotel and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 160 main block had lovely sea-view. Ask for high-floor
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!