“Not 5 star more like 3 star.” 3 of 5 stars

Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Karousades 49081, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Not 5 star more like 3 star.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

After reading reviews after I booked this hotel with Thomas cook I was unsure and tried to change places but Thomas cook assured me I would be down grading if I chose somewere else so myself, my partner & my 11 year old stayed at the mitsis on the 17-june 2013 for one week all inclusive .The hotel itself was spotless and would rate the hotel 5 star when it comes to this but the location of the hotel was at least 25-30 minutes walk away to the nearest shops/pubs this is why the shop that is based in the hotel charges twice as much as the other shops because they know they can get off with it when people have booked all inclusive and don't want to leave the resort.I myself am not a fussy drinker and the drinks that the hotel served were not appetizing at all the cocktails were terrible! and just looked like a normal drink and all the other drinks were not nice either this is why I spent half the holiday not drinkin :( . I took the 25-30 minute walk into the strip along the beach and went into pirates bar which I would recommend there food and drink is lovely:) i paid 5 euros each for a few decent cocktails that looked and tasted like a cocktails umbrellas and all :). getting back to the hotel, I want to give a mention to the waiters who went above and beyond to help you especially in the theatre bar were we had many laughs with them very friendly people,.the entertainment was the same every night and got a bit boring I found my 11 year old extremely bored and wanted to go to bed I would say it would be better for younger kids with the kids club and activities the food was a no no! and again we are not fussy but I just couldn't stomach it and missed it a few times we tried the Chinese resteraunt which we booked on the Tuesday and couldn't get a place until the Thursday night and again great people but food wasn't up to much. We stayed in room 209 in the main building and was really really quiet.this place would be good if you wanted to stay in the one place all the time but the only thing we really enjoyed was renting quads for a few days and getting away from it for a while which is sad because the hotel looks like a 5 star but just does not cut it and I myself would not go back.

Room Tip: Room 209 main building really really quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This Hotel is a brilliant hotel! The Restaurants Were Over 5*
Good :
1. selection of food
2. Pool Area
3. Entertainment Staff
4. Entertainment on the night and the day
5. Location
6: Manager Very Efficient And Johnny Is a very good Dancer
7. We had a problem with the door handle and they sorted it the next day.
Bad :
1. Reception Staff
2. Bar Closed At 12

Room Tip: Swim-Up Rooms are a waste of time
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our summer holiday last year, 2 adults and 3 children. Had a partitioned family room down near the beach and main pool. As many reviews have said, the beds were very uncomfy but then that's the norm for Greece I think! Plenty of wardrobe space and very friendly maids almost daily. The food in the main buffet restaurant was reasonable but got very boring after a fortnight there. The staff in the whole resort work very hard, no doubt about that, and for the most part are friendly if you are polite to them. Beware that the main pool is saltwater so does sting the eyes, not pleasant to swim in - we stuck to the beach as it was also easier to get sunbeds there (it's the usual towels at dawn around the pool unfortunately!). The hotel is about a 15 minute walk down the beach from Roda, which is a small average holiday resort. Best advice is to hire a car and get out to explore around beautiful Corfu yourself, there's much more to see than the local area would suggest! If you want to book excursions, have a look in Roda as the prices charged by reps in the hotel are extortionate - there are various agents locally who offer the same trips. Overall we would return to Corfu, but probably not here - it was nice and no particular complaints but not special enough for a return visit.

• Stayed August 2012
Sleaford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is nice - large clean rooms, really nice swimming pools, good food and friendly staff. But don't go unless you want to share everything with 3-5 year olds, including the so-called entertainment. The beach is small and not very attractive but the water is clear and shallow. We had problems with no hot water (1 day), faulty air con (all week) and very hard beds (although the manager did arrange for mattress toppers which helped. But the travel arrangements were horrible. Olympic holidays did misrepresented the flights that were available and continue to do so. They have changed carriers from grotty Small Planet to terrible Entry and none of the flights actually exist. I'm only 5'8'' but even I had problems with the seating - talk about sardines ! The attractive day time flights are a fantasy. They tell you, 2 days before you go, that the flights have changed to virtually night time flights. On the return we had an indirect flight which took well over 5 hours (including the stop in Milan) rather than 3 hours. And watch out for the transfers - two-and-a-half hours going into different resorts before getting to Roda - just 20 miles from the airport. I will never, ever, book another holiday with Olympic - dreadful.

Room Tip: There is a main pool (actually 2 in 1. Then there are a couple of large pools specially for 2 block...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel facilities, staff and entertainment staff were very welcoming. Everyone was so friendly we are definitely going back next year booked through Thomas cook the kids club was great so we could have some time to our selves & kept my little girl busy too. The only downside was trying to find sun beds on the morning they were all occupied by towels even though no one was using them!! The spa treatments and staff were also very nice. Food was amazing so much choice and staff extremely hard working :)

• Stayed June 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Like others have said, it isn't 5 star, but it is very good, and a great place for all ages, We went with our 2 high school age daughters, and they really liked it.
The staff are excellent, very friendly, work very hard, and do well when faced with rude guests (the ones I heard where either Russian, German or French) Why do people not use common courtesy/manners?

The room was very nice. The only complaint we had was our shower leaked big style (onto a tiled floor), which when we first asked the cleaner, and subsequently reception, they already seemed well aware of. We were offered an inferior room, so stuck it out, but used a LOT of towels!
The entertainment staff worked very hard also, but, with the greatest of respect, were not on a par with the Hotel. Someone miming to a Frank Sinatra song is not my idea of a good night out.
Sounds like we didn't enjoy ourselves, but that isn't the case. Small adjustments could make this a top top.
Agree about using the taxi transfer, and we used Roda taxis also.
Would we go back again? I don't normally want to return to a holiday destination once visited, but in this case, I think we would!

Room Tip: Not room 915 (unless they have fixed the bath!!
THIRSK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Myself, my partner, and my 12 and 14 year old, have just returned from a two week stay and to everyone that's asked if I've had a nice holiday, my reply has been, "yes, but I wouldn't go back".
At the beginning of the holiday (14th June) it was beautiful and I thought all the comments I had read on here were very petty. The hotel was gorgeous and immaculate, the cleaners worked all day, every day, and I even watched a cleaner cleaning all the chandeliers in the reception by hand! The food was very tasty, they're was a lot of choice and the service was great ( apart from two staff in the theatre bar that were quite miserable)
I had a few little moans which I wouldn't have mentioned if things didn't get worse throughout the holiday, such as, the "double bed" was two single beds pushed together ( not what you expect from a five star hotel) the beach bar was more like 2 star with its cheap white plastic garden chairs, and tin cafe tables, and the place where the entertainment took place on a night was very tatty and basic and definitely NOT five star entertainment. The beach bar and the entertainment place didn't bother us that much, we just stayed by the pool. The pool bar was fantastic, with two lovely friendly women that worked there.
However, by the beginning of the second week, the hotel began to get really busy. Because of this, I think, the hotel quickly went from a 5 star to a 3 star for the following reasons.... You had to be up at 6am to get a sun bed (people were bathing on towels on the stone floor and a couple even stole my bed whilst i was in the pool) the food was Luke warm and became very repetitive, and as staff were very busy, their service deteriorated.
The pool also became quite grubby, with what looked like sick floating on the top of it ( this may have been a build up of people's suntan oils, but looked like sick and wasn't attractive at all) and I also found a dirty plaster and a nicotine patch in it.
My daughter also left her mobile in the reseraunt and every day she asked if it had been handed in but it hadn't, we called it every day and it was turned off, however, the EXACT day (early hours of the morning) we left the hotel to return home, we rang it and it rang with an "abroad" ring tone and then someone hung up. Seemed strange that who ever had it didn't switch it on until the day we left. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.....
All these complaints are small and didn't ruin our holiday, however, it was annoying that we spent so much money on what was supposed to be a 4/5 star hotel, but there was so many points that were 3 star, sometimes even 2 star.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!