“all your holiday needs in one place...” 5 of 5 stars

Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Karousades 49081, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“all your holiday needs in one place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our room was a good spacious room, with all the essentials. The balcony was lovely and overlook the sea and part of the hotel and the surrounding area. The TV was a bit small though but we were not too bothered. It was very clean and all of the room was cleaned daily. The food was lovely and lots of variety for a stay for 4-5 days. Maybe a bit repetitive if you stay for more than a week.

Surrounding area- The hotel was about 10 minutes walk to the local town, It was always a fantastic walk with lots to see along the beach. At night it is quiet and the beach is definitely recommended for a peaceful walk. The main road is lined with memento shops and and bars, and restaurants which looks very friendly, but we did not sampled any food as we had an -all inclusive. Bought some tee shirts for good prices.

Overall, the pool area was always clean and the rooms were always tidied and the balcony view was great and we thoroughly enjoyed this holiday. We hired a car and drove around the island after we were given a good price for the car hire, which was in the lobby of the hotel. How convenient is all that...all your holiday needs in a place!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Spent a week in this hotel in October 2012.

Was looking for a quiet, relaxing family holiday. This was my first real holiday for about 10 years at the time and I was not let down.

The staff were nice enough, the pool was salt water and much deeper than I expected but some goggles and inflatables and it was just perfect. The shop on site was pretty expensive but they would repair any burst inflatables for free which was great because my son kept going down the waterslide on them. the beach is small but close and there is a bigger beach in Roda for anyone who wasn't happy with it. don't recommend eating at the beach because of all the wasps.

As it was coming to the end of the season the town was beginning to close down for the winter but the bigger shops and most of the pubs and restaurants were still open. I couldn't help but think that the huge all inclusive resort has damaged the local economy. When we went into Roda we went to the Pirate bar where we watched some football games. You should always take a torch if you are walking to Roda from the hotel at night as it is very dark. on a clear night you can see all the stars so it's worth stopping on the path and looking up.

we took 2 mini cruises while we were there. 1 to corfu town for shopping (which was lovely) and 1 to paxos and poseidon's caves (this trip is very long and the caves are not as good as the brochure makes out).

I was hoping to take my son horse riding but when I saw the horses I thought they looked neglected and it put me off.

I tried scuba diving for free in the swimming pool and loved it so I booked to go. As it turned out I was the only person diving that day so I had a nice long dive with the instructor and loved every minute of it.(I found it weird to walk on the land for a bit after though).

The food in the hotel was amazing I stuffed my greedy face every night and never had a complaint about any of it. there was lots for kids to eat. we tried all 3 of the beach front restaurants and enjoyed them. There was one waiter who kept proposing to my friend which we all found hilarious. (except her of course).

The rooms were very spacious and very clean. The mini bar was included in the all inclusive package and refilled every single day. we had a small problem with ants but the staff came up and gave the room a good spraying over and got rid. when finished with glasses and bottles from the mini bar I would recommend that you rinse them out before putting them in the bin to avoid attracting ants.

There was entertainment on in the beach bar at night but i was always tucked up in bed by then.

I loved this resort and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

my wife and step daughter and i stayed here for 10 nights and had exellent holiday. the rooms are spacious and clean the pool and surriunding areas are very good always enough beds and clean etc, The beach is private nice enough , the life guard is a awsome bloke very friendly as are the animation team very professional and always there to chat there is a separate team of entertainment staff for french speakers. Some of the bar staff could do with smiling abit but not a major problem. The food is very good and the resteruant is nice especially if you sit on the balcony. I would definatly recomend this hotel its the best one in roda beach by far

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Loads of wasps and flies, everything shuts around you. At our welcome meeting that lasted about 7 minutes we were told that all the reps would be going home in 3 days so if we had a problem there would be no-one here to help! Half way through the week the hotel staff started removing all the sunbeds and parasols from around the pool. They even covered up all the bins and closed all but one of the public toilets. The pool bar closed during a power cut and never re-opened. The beach water sports were taken away during the same storm and never returned. Thank god for the small village of Roda where everything was still open despite the fact that it was the last week of the season. Only problem was that to get to the town you had to walk across the beach. The beach was lovely before the storm but was never cleaned up after it so you had to fight your way through piles and piles of seaweed to get across it. The staff couldn't have cared less whether we were there or not - in fact we were an inconvenience - All complaints to EasyJet Holidays fell on deaf ears too as we were told we should have told them while we were there so they could have tried to do something about it. This was a bit difficult with no internet access and terrible mobile phone reception, but you get what you pay for so in future we will go with a proper company who actually care about its customers. Altogeher this holiday was a very expensive waste of time - we would have been better off staying at home!!

northampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights in October, The Hotel was shutting down for winter which we was not told when booking. First Impressions were very good, Check in was easy and our family was was plenty big enough for the 4 of us.
I am very far from being fussy as long as the food and booze is ok and its clean then i usually have a good holiday! The food i thought was not 5 * but it was very good,( Snacks kept running out as end of season) the drink was also good. The thing that really let this hotel down was the amount of flies and wasps EVERYWHERE. You can't relax and sunbath as you will have about 10 flies on you ( no exaggeration) and if you have a drink which obviously you will have many you have wasps all around it again not 1 but 5-10 wasp! I see endless people getting stung which just spolit the holiday for me if im honest, my kids were on edge and you cant blame them after seeing the amount of people being stung, The Hotel did have things to trap them but there was that many everywhere it just weren't touching it!
There was a couple of power cuts in the evening while we was there, so this ment There was no beer or soft drinks/mixers for spirits, so unless you were happy to drink neat spirits you couldn't have a drink, After complaining about this i was told power cuts are a common problem here! If that is the case surely a "5 star" Hotel would have some back up?..... Soft drinks and bottles of beer that are not on tap?
To sum the holiday up It was a lovely hotel with outstanding views, would go back no problem if it weren't for flies and wasps, but my holidays are to relax and there is no way you can do that with 100's of wasps and flies buzzing around you! Such a shame.

Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We took a last minute booking through Hays travel for a week at the 5 star, all inclusive Roda beach Hotel and Spa (Corfu) at £1,500 for two.
Our Easy jet flight was good and we landed at Corfu around 11.00 am. We were told a rep would meet us at the airport and arrange our transfer, that didn’t happen, instead I had to ask every driver of every coach & taxi if I was on their transfer list, eventually I found the mini bus and off we went.(some transfers were taking over two hours to get to the hotel)
The entrance to the complex was impressive although it soon became clear this was not really a hotel, more a village with around 25 or so accommodation blocks scattered around the grounds.
The main building is on 3 floors, the middle being the main entrance and reception, the second being the main restaurant where buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner is served and the ground floor has a bar, shop and dance floor with stage that was never used, this floor opens onto a large terrace.
A porter arrived and escorted us to our room (a superior with balcony and sea view)
Down several steps, along a path, down several more steps along another path and into a building, along a corridor and we arrived at room 721.
The room was adequate, but not what I would call “superior” but the disappointment came when we pulled back the curtains to find we’re on the ground floor, no balcony, just a very small terrace big enough for 2 small chairs and a very small table, but worse was the massive bush/tree thing just six feet in front of us about 20 feet high and about the same wide, this completely obliterated any view, let alone one of the sea!
Not wishing to dwell on our disappointment with the room we unpacked and made our way to the beach, more disappointment was to follow, the beach was dirty, nowhere near enough sun beds and so cramped too, it had a band of sea weed several feet wide, yuck !
Our next joy was the bun fight called the evening meal, in short the restaurant is not big enough for the complex (like the beach) although there was the option of using either the Chinese, Italian or Greek restaurants, but these have to be booked 3 days in advance and even if they’re empty they will still not serve you unless you’ve booked three days in advance !
Waking up next morning my wife complained of itching and to our horror we pulled the bed clothes back to find the bed full of ants, under the pillow, in the pillow and all over my wife too!
My poor wife was in hysterics and my feet had been badly bitten by something
I asked to be moved (apart from the ant infestation we had no balcony or view and the room was no way superior) this fell completely on deaf ears with reception staff stating that ants in the rooms are common place there, but they would spray the room.
By now we were seriously thinking of checking out, but it became apparent we were not the only disgruntled Brits? One couple arrived at 1.00 am and were given a room with a broken bath, insects 3 inches long running around and in a filthy state, they refused to accept it and were then kept waiting for 8 hours in reception before they were given an alternative,( we’re told that two more Brits were put in staff accommodation)
Next day we thought we’d spend on the beach, we arrived to find an army of Albanian workers trying to rake up the sea weed, they created a heap the length of the left hand beach (100 meters) some 2 meters wide and about ½ meter high!
I asked what they intended to do with the stuff (now that they had created a barrier between the sea and beach) they said it would be collected by JCB.
Friday came (another night of no sleep watching the ants get ever closer) and a walk to the beach revealed the wall of sea weed was still there.
Lunch in the main restaurant was ok, but my wife noticed that there was no hand gel anywhere? No dispensers on the wall, or a member of staff giving out a quick spray, clearly hygiene is not paramount here? Also having a severe nut allergy means close scrutiny of everything I eat and despite numerous request to have the food labeled the entire supply of food, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner was a trip into the unknown!?
Saturday we took the bus into Corfu town and ate at the Italian restaurant on our return, this was disappointing too, (no better than a trip to Pizza Express)
Sunday the JCB finally arrived and left the beach like this, a mixture of compacted seaweed & sand
Another night of little or no sleep and finally I caught up with the assistant manager, I insisted he came with me to see our room/ants/tree etc, which he did and promptly arranged to change rooms.
We migrated across the complex to another building and hopefully a better room.
By now we were 5 days into our 7 day holiday and disappointed beyond belief.
This is not a five star hotel ! (nor even a poor 4 star) at best it’s 3 star, the food is poor, the beach is dirty and too small,
Most of the staff are either miserable or depressed (or both). There are far too many steps throughout the complex (not ideal for the disabled of frail) food wasn’t labeled, no hand cleaner anywhere, dirty swimming pools (one had the vacuum cleaner vent left open which could easily have sucked a childs hand/arm in) a 20 euro deposit per beach towel, 25 euro charge for a safe key, no dressing gowns, tissues etc (which one would expect for a supposed 5 star hotel)
I’m told the entertainment was poor, we didn’t go but noticed the main event for Saturday night was a quiz at 10.00pm and the children’s entertainment (disco) didn’t start till 9.00pm by which time most are either too tired to enjoy it or already in their beds!
The pool bar closes at 5.30pm and the main one at around 11.30pm, breakfast starts at 7.00am and one day we waited until 7,25 for the milk to arrive, there’s only one working toaster (and 700 plus diners) enquiring as to why there was no bacon I got “you only allowed bacon Tues, Thurs ana Sunday ! (But if you were from the continent you could have all the pastries, breads, hams, cheese and yoghurts you like)
The rooms have no tea/coffee making facilities and small 12 inch T’V with about 6 channels, one of which is BBC.
Hay’s travel said they would meet us at the airport, they didn’t ! they said they had a rep at the hotel, they didn’t, although we discovered on the afternoon of the last day that a company called Lords Travel handled the accommodation for Hay’s (if we’d known this we might not have had to spend 4 nights in bug infested, darkened pit of a room) their rep Joanne was more than useless, she never made contact with us (or many other small operator guest’s of whom she was supposed to be responsible for) she gave no welcome presentation and was not the slightest bit interested in trying to sort out the cock up of our return transfer!
In conclusion would I use Hay’s travel again? Why should I ? Would we use the Roda beach hotel again? Absolutely not, would I recommend it to anyone? Of course not!
There must be a moral here somewhere? Would we have been better treated if we had booked with one of the big players of the industry? (Thomas Cook had a full time rep there) who knows! Of the 50 or so countries my wife and myself have visited staying in all manner of accommodation, from B&B’s to proper five star, along with many cruises too, this has to have been the most disappointing and stress full time we’ve ever had the misfortune to have experienced, oops, endured !
Dont go there !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

my husband and i travelled to corfu in september 2012 for our 21st wedding anniversary at first things went okay sent hotel e.mails for champagne in room and a cake allof which were there on arrival also room was beautiful as was the view from terrace.im afraid thats where it ends.
1.entertainment rubbish except if you are aged between 5 and 75.
2.meals.cold always repeated always not 5 star at all
3.wasps.everywhere
4.dirty glasses at bar from which i got a stomach bug
5.beach at hotel dirty no lights at night in fact bad lighting all over complex
6.roda the place like a desserted war zone.

Room Tip: upgrade to a premier room although sleep at the back or you get no sleep as corridors so noisy