“Wasp and flies everywhere :(” 3 of 5 stars

Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Karousades 49081, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
northampton
“Wasp and flies everywhere :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights in October, The Hotel was shutting down for winter which we was not told when booking. First Impressions were very good, Check in was easy and our family was was plenty big enough for the 4 of us.
I am very far from being fussy as long as the food and booze is ok and its clean then i usually have a good holiday! The food i thought was not 5 * but it was very good,( Snacks kept running out as end of season) the drink was also good. The thing that really let this hotel down was the amount of flies and wasps EVERYWHERE. You can't relax and sunbath as you will have about 10 flies on you ( no exaggeration) and if you have a drink which obviously you will have many you have wasps all around it again not 1 but 5-10 wasp! I see endless people getting stung which just spolit the holiday for me if im honest, my kids were on edge and you cant blame them after seeing the amount of people being stung, The Hotel did have things to trap them but there was that many everywhere it just weren't touching it!
There was a couple of power cuts in the evening while we was there, so this ment There was no beer or soft drinks/mixers for spirits, so unless you were happy to drink neat spirits you couldn't have a drink, After complaining about this i was told power cuts are a common problem here! If that is the case surely a "5 star" Hotel would have some back up?..... Soft drinks and bottles of beer that are not on tap?
To sum the holiday up It was a lovely hotel with outstanding views, would go back no problem if it weren't for flies and wasps, but my holidays are to relax and there is no way you can do that with 100's of wasps and flies buzzing around you! Such a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We took a last minute booking through Hays travel for a week at the 5 star, all inclusive Roda beach Hotel and Spa (Corfu) at £1,500 for two.
Our Easy jet flight was good and we landed at Corfu around 11.00 am. We were told a rep would meet us at the airport and arrange our transfer, that didn’t happen, instead I had to ask every driver of every coach & taxi if I was on their transfer list, eventually I found the mini bus and off we went.(some transfers were taking over two hours to get to the hotel)
The entrance to the complex was impressive although it soon became clear this was not really a hotel, more a village with around 25 or so accommodation blocks scattered around the grounds.
The main building is on 3 floors, the middle being the main entrance and reception, the second being the main restaurant where buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner is served and the ground floor has a bar, shop and dance floor with stage that was never used, this floor opens onto a large terrace.
A porter arrived and escorted us to our room (a superior with balcony and sea view)
Down several steps, along a path, down several more steps along another path and into a building, along a corridor and we arrived at room 721.
The room was adequate, but not what I would call “superior” but the disappointment came when we pulled back the curtains to find we’re on the ground floor, no balcony, just a very small terrace big enough for 2 small chairs and a very small table, but worse was the massive bush/tree thing just six feet in front of us about 20 feet high and about the same wide, this completely obliterated any view, let alone one of the sea!
Not wishing to dwell on our disappointment with the room we unpacked and made our way to the beach, more disappointment was to follow, the beach was dirty, nowhere near enough sun beds and so cramped too, it had a band of sea weed several feet wide, yuck !
Our next joy was the bun fight called the evening meal, in short the restaurant is not big enough for the complex (like the beach) although there was the option of using either the Chinese, Italian or Greek restaurants, but these have to be booked 3 days in advance and even if they’re empty they will still not serve you unless you’ve booked three days in advance !
Waking up next morning my wife complained of itching and to our horror we pulled the bed clothes back to find the bed full of ants, under the pillow, in the pillow and all over my wife too!
My poor wife was in hysterics and my feet had been badly bitten by something
I asked to be moved (apart from the ant infestation we had no balcony or view and the room was no way superior) this fell completely on deaf ears with reception staff stating that ants in the rooms are common place there, but they would spray the room.
By now we were seriously thinking of checking out, but it became apparent we were not the only disgruntled Brits? One couple arrived at 1.00 am and were given a room with a broken bath, insects 3 inches long running around and in a filthy state, they refused to accept it and were then kept waiting for 8 hours in reception before they were given an alternative,( we’re told that two more Brits were put in staff accommodation)
Next day we thought we’d spend on the beach, we arrived to find an army of Albanian workers trying to rake up the sea weed, they created a heap the length of the left hand beach (100 meters) some 2 meters wide and about ½ meter high!
I asked what they intended to do with the stuff (now that they had created a barrier between the sea and beach) they said it would be collected by JCB.
Friday came (another night of no sleep watching the ants get ever closer) and a walk to the beach revealed the wall of sea weed was still there.
Lunch in the main restaurant was ok, but my wife noticed that there was no hand gel anywhere? No dispensers on the wall, or a member of staff giving out a quick spray, clearly hygiene is not paramount here? Also having a severe nut allergy means close scrutiny of everything I eat and despite numerous request to have the food labeled the entire supply of food, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner was a trip into the unknown!?
Saturday we took the bus into Corfu town and ate at the Italian restaurant on our return, this was disappointing too, (no better than a trip to Pizza Express)
Sunday the JCB finally arrived and left the beach like this, a mixture of compacted seaweed & sand
Another night of little or no sleep and finally I caught up with the assistant manager, I insisted he came with me to see our room/ants/tree etc, which he did and promptly arranged to change rooms.
We migrated across the complex to another building and hopefully a better room.
By now we were 5 days into our 7 day holiday and disappointed beyond belief.
This is not a five star hotel ! (nor even a poor 4 star) at best it’s 3 star, the food is poor, the beach is dirty and too small,
Most of the staff are either miserable or depressed (or both). There are far too many steps throughout the complex (not ideal for the disabled of frail) food wasn’t labeled, no hand cleaner anywhere, dirty swimming pools (one had the vacuum cleaner vent left open which could easily have sucked a childs hand/arm in) a 20 euro deposit per beach towel, 25 euro charge for a safe key, no dressing gowns, tissues etc (which one would expect for a supposed 5 star hotel)
I’m told the entertainment was poor, we didn’t go but noticed the main event for Saturday night was a quiz at 10.00pm and the children’s entertainment (disco) didn’t start till 9.00pm by which time most are either too tired to enjoy it or already in their beds!
The pool bar closes at 5.30pm and the main one at around 11.30pm, breakfast starts at 7.00am and one day we waited until 7,25 for the milk to arrive, there’s only one working toaster (and 700 plus diners) enquiring as to why there was no bacon I got “you only allowed bacon Tues, Thurs ana Sunday ! (But if you were from the continent you could have all the pastries, breads, hams, cheese and yoghurts you like)
The rooms have no tea/coffee making facilities and small 12 inch T’V with about 6 channels, one of which is BBC.
Hay’s travel said they would meet us at the airport, they didn’t ! they said they had a rep at the hotel, they didn’t, although we discovered on the afternoon of the last day that a company called Lords Travel handled the accommodation for Hay’s (if we’d known this we might not have had to spend 4 nights in bug infested, darkened pit of a room) their rep Joanne was more than useless, she never made contact with us (or many other small operator guest’s of whom she was supposed to be responsible for) she gave no welcome presentation and was not the slightest bit interested in trying to sort out the cock up of our return transfer!
In conclusion would I use Hay’s travel again? Why should I ? Would we use the Roda beach hotel again? Absolutely not, would I recommend it to anyone? Of course not!
There must be a moral here somewhere? Would we have been better treated if we had booked with one of the big players of the industry? (Thomas Cook had a full time rep there) who knows! Of the 50 or so countries my wife and myself have visited staying in all manner of accommodation, from B&B’s to proper five star, along with many cruises too, this has to have been the most disappointing and stress full time we’ve ever had the misfortune to have experienced, oops, endured !
Dont go there !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

my husband and i travelled to corfu in september 2012 for our 21st wedding anniversary at first things went okay sent hotel e.mails for champagne in room and a cake allof which were there on arrival also room was beautiful as was the view from terrace.im afraid thats where it ends.
1.entertainment rubbish except if you are aged between 5 and 75.
2.meals.cold always repeated always not 5 star at all
3.wasps.everywhere
4.dirty glasses at bar from which i got a stomach bug
5.beach at hotel dirty no lights at night in fact bad lighting all over complex
6.roda the place like a desserted war zone.

Room Tip: upgrade to a premier room although sleep at the back or you get no sleep as corridors so noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We went towards the end of the season during the October half term, I believe they were open for about another week after that and I think some other reviewers have moaned about some of the amenities closing down or shut but lets face it if you book at the end of the season this will happen which is why the holidays are such bargain prices, some people want something for nothing! We booked with Sunmaster Travel and for around an extra £40 each for the week we got the superior room with a sea view and a mini bar stocked every other day with local beer and coca cola and local versions of fanta we made our extra money back just on the mini bar! The view from the balcony out to sea was beautiful and you can see the Albanian mountains, great for budding photographers. Everywhere was clean, our maid was very friendly and polite we made the effort to say hello to her everyday in Greek and it went down a treat. We found the staff were maybe reserved initially however a smile and manners went down well and we sound found the staff very helpful and friendly. I think we forget about cultural differences mixed with the long hours staff in hospitality work and they all have their off days they are only human. The food was good we couldn't complain it was to a 4 star standard, we have to remember it is not like a 4 star Hilton Hotel in the UK and doesn't cost any where near either. ;) We walked into Roda town along the coast it took about 10 minutes which is a small slightly commercial area with bars and shops and as it was the end of season there were lots of bargains to be had and lots of very good copies of designer gear, handbags, belts, t shirts etc. We caught a bus to Corfu Town one day, well worth a visit, it took about an hour however the journey was amazing and showed the real Greece you never see, little villages with bendy narrow roads, Olive groves, Villas and modest Greek homes. Corfu town had lots of shops, cafes and landmarks including an old fortress. I would recommend this hotel and Corfu, just remember a holiday is what you make it! :)

Room Tip: Pay just a little extra for a superior room if you have the option and enjoy a beautiful sea view &a...
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We visited Roda beach the last week of the season, last week of October. First impressions of hotel were good. Rooms, nice and clean, mini bar stocked every other day. Main restaurant, not that much choice of food, but because it was end of season half of the food stations were shut. Ala carte restaurants. We tried the italian, which although a limited menu was good. We also tried the Chinese , food was good but the lighting was that dim you couldnt really see much of what you were eating. Didnt try the Greek, because it is supposed to be similar to the main restaurant. Evening entertainment. This was in the beach bar , which is a bit tatty. It was ok , mini disco for the kids. The main reason I have only rated this hotel a 3 is the amount of wasps every where. Although this a probably a seasonal problem there didnt appear to be any kind of wasp control/ repellant in place. The wasps were everywhere, and they really bothered you , 3 of our group were bitten, and this doesnt make for a relaxing holiday! It is a nice walk along the beach to the town of Roda (apart from the wasps). Roda is a nice little town, with a few gift shops and bars. A lthough some were shut due to end of season. I would try another mitsis hotel in the future , however not at the end of season, some of the bars and a la carte restaurants were closing as the week went on. And I would definitely check when wasp season is!!! Me any my family enjoyed our holiday, but we always do!

Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently stayed at Roda beach with my family for one week. The staff were so friendly, helpful and a pleasure to be around. I highly recommend going all inclusive, as the food was amazing. So much to choose from and consistently delicious. Although we had a problem with a leaking shower, this wasn't an issue, as the rest of the holiday made up for it. A fair distance from the airport, but if you organize transport this isn't an issue. Worth a visit - perfect for a relaxing family holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Devon, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I travelled here as part of a two family group & we did have a good time.. however, I would not recommend travelling so late in the season (we went for Oct half term, flying back on 1st Nov '12)
Overall we were impressed with the hotel, we had two family rooms (900 block) with our almost private pool at this time of year! Unfortunately the pool bar here was closed & on arrival we discovered that the all inclusive mini bar was not included in our family package. The rooms were spacious, clean & well furnished, although there were a few minor issues (the bath plug not working & the patio doors not locking) However, the food in the restaurant was good (if a little repetitive but I think they were emptying the freezer!) What we didn't realise before we arrived, was that the hotel actually closed down on the day before we flew home (but this was a fault of the travel company not the hotel) & I think this affected the facilities available during our stay. We were unable to book into either the Greek or Italian restaurants but we did manage to try out the Chinese & this was highly recommended! We even had a wonderful lightening display over the sea while we were eating, that was pretty awesome :-)
All in all a very good hotel, perhaps not the 5* as advertised but still pleased with our booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!