“The best of both worlds” 4 of 5 stars

Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Karousades 49081, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Birmingham, England
“The best of both worlds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here from 22/10 for a week as well. We were moved from our original hotel two weeks before and really fell on out feet. We and our friends had private chalet type rooms with their own shared pool out in the grounds. Our first big supprise was our FREE mini fridge which was replenished twice during our stay.

The hotel had three theme restaurants as well as the main one and although the standard wasn't of the highest it did add to the variety and the main restaurant had stunning views form the balcony.

I actually thought the entertainment team were excellent and worked very hard and were very funny.

I think the whole of Corfu was closing down that week so some services are bound to be limited but overall the location was stunning, in the main the weather was good and the staff friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Erskine Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Before I went to this hotel which was from 11th-18th October, I was very concerned as some of the reviews were very poor. However it was booked and I went in some ways not expecting a great deal. The hotel itself is beautiful with a vast reception area holding many comfortable chairs and couches to sit and read a book or just watch people go by(this was due to quite a bit of rain and thunderstorms on our trip). The room itself was very nice and had the seperate little room for my 8 year old son. In addition they were spotless, never had any problems with ants within the room itself only once on the balcony but even then we just sprayed them-no big deal!! The drinks in the fridge were faithfully filled up every two days which it did state on the little Mitsis brochure we got at reception when checking in and there was also a hairdryer in the bathroom. The staff at the bars weren't the chattiest shall we say but we didn't frequent them very often so not a problem, plus being in another country sometimes people have to accept that the culture is different and we just accepted the way they were, but at no time were the staff ever rude to us!!! A holiday is what you yourself make it and my husband, son and I had a very enjoyable time at the Mitsis roda despite the weather not being the best. They played tennis when the courts werent waterlogged, football, table tennis which my son loved, etc. We spent quite a bit of time down at the beach playing in the water with a beach ball, bats and ball and also walking along the beach into Roda to get some gifts for family. We took our own beach towels and never had a problem at any time getting a sunbed. Yes there were a lot of wasps their and also in the beach bar and I am really scared of wasps but to be honest they would come over and just fly away again - didn't get stung once!!! Just don't take food or sweet drinks on to the beach as they will chase you!! However this is entirely out of the hotels hands and as such people really can't blame the hotel. We didn't go to any of the entertainment including childrens so really can't comment on that. The food in the main restaurant was of a high standard and people should really appreciate the hard work put in not only by the chefs and kitchen staff but the waiting staff who were there breakfast, lunch and dinner serving hundreds of people! My son was in heaven as strangely eggs are his favourite food and each morning at breakfast, he would get his omlette cooked from scratch in front of him, then he would collect his two fried eggs, finally completed by crepes and chocolate sauce! He honestly doesn't have a pick on him but he tucked away the food at this hotel. He loves salad as well so no problems with food for my son as he is open to trying new things. They were always very respectful to us and the older waiters would always make a fuss of my 8 year old son taking the time to have a little chat or ruffle his hair or a friendly pat on his shoulder. Previous reviews have stated that the restaurant itself is very chaotic, I have to disagree. Yes it can get busy but there are a lot of people all with the same goal and again some different nationalities and cultures who perhaps do things a little differently while getting their food, but it was laid out well and the dining experience when back at your table was relaxing. The restaurant decor was very nice and had a beautiful outlook over the pool and the water itself with the mountains in the background. I see the blonde girl (perhaps Marina is her name) that seats you has had a few uncomplimentary reviews but for us she was one of the highlights as we used to mimic her on the way back to our room at night, even my son got a real kick out of this. At first we thought she was quite dismissive in her manner but thats all it is,its her manner and as the time went on we had a good laugh about it and she also started to make eye contact and say goodbye when we left. My son has got her walk down to a fine art so as I said we had much fun mimicking her walk as she took you to your table - infact he is still doing it now we are home! I really think people need to lighten up and accept people for who they are and stop trying to find fault with every little thing. Yes perhaps service from certain people could have been a bit friendlier mainly at the bars, but they gave us what we asked for and I can appreciate how difficult it must be having people coming up continously asking for this, that and the other. Over their whole summer season I am sure this must be draining but at no time were they rude. We ate at the Chinese, Greek and Italian on the beach as well and the food was all very nice and if you think it is all part of the all-inclusive package, its pretty amazing value for money. We generally always tipped in the evening after dinners just to acknowledge their hard work. The staff seemed appreciative of this. We also gave the lady that cleaned our room on departure a good tip as she did a wonderful job and the room was always spotless, bedding changed and towels replaced. These people work so very hard to cater to all us holidaymakers and I think we should just be that little more appreciative of their efforts and acknowledge that no-one is perfect. As I said we had a super time at the Mitsis Roda and I appreciate that every individual has a different experience but I can only comment on the one we had. We made the most of our time their despite the rain, thunderstorms and one day a big storm that resulted in power cuts. Is it really the end of the world? Yes it would have been nice to have less rain and more sunshine but we were well fed and well looked after and I would recommend you go to this hotel or at the very least, if you have booked it, don't be put off by the poor reviews!!! Give it a go!!!

Room Tip: Room 819 had good sea view
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We booked this holiday last minute and were a bit worried by reports saying that the service was poor but that was because the hotel was closing down, from September! We stayed for a week from 22/10 and when we came away the hotel was actually closing on 2/11. The dinning was chaotic, not enough staff but the hotel almost full.The food was fairly good,but repetitive. Restaurant staff totally overworked resulting in them being rude. The bar in the lobby area was a nightmare.2 staff at night who would do anything but serve customers. The drinks were very weak but this was because the staff were watering down the spirits, when I caught one doing this he didn't even seem embarrassed. the reception staff were very rude/unhelpful at first, but seemed to change their attitude after a couple of days, by the end of our stay I thought they were the best staff in the hotel. (except for the cleaner,fantastic, even folded night clothes)
The main pool looks good but is salt water and ice cold.
The sea is good, warm, shallow and not as salty as the pool. The pedalos and canoes were free to use for all inclusive which was a bonus, and the guy in charge, Romanian, was very friendly.
The rooms were on the small side but adequate, but the "satellite" t.v. was about 12" screen with only 2 English language news channels
They advertise pool and beach bars serving food throughout the afternoon, this turned out to be small pizza squares, a selection of cold meats/cheese, salad and bread baps to make your own. Some days the beach bar had hot dogs, but you had to ask.After a couple of days the pool bar closed.
My complaint to the tour rep was that there was no information any where about the hotel, facilities or services, he just tried to sell me a trip.
For people old enough to remember, this hotel is a glorified Butlins but with sunshine. Definitely not 5* or even 4*. There has been mention about the wasps, difficult for the hotel to deal with, but the ants in the bathrooms/rooms/around food in the beach bar could have been dealt with or holidaymakers warned in advance so they can bring their own ant killer.
All in all it felt like a spell in prison. I was actually looking forward to coming home.

Room Tip: Family block, high floors with pool/sea view are best and central to all facilities.
Halifax, Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Lets get the good bits out of the way! The actual complex had huge potential and looks lovely however....(and I arent a consumate whinger!!)
We went at the end of the season (1/2 term last week in OCtober), the Hotel was only open for a one more week after we left - and wasnt this plainly obvious
I appreciate the staff, the rep, the chefs etc have no doub had a long tiring season and there was light at the end of the tunnel or maybe that was darkness!
In a nutshell it was like the hotel chain had asked them to stay open for 2 more weeks, if you can imagine your response to that then that was the attitudes we came up against more often than not.
The pools (salt water, not too much of a problem, certainly different) were too cold for the kids to spend any time in. Bless they gave it a go and came out shivering!
The sea was warmer and the beach was excellent.
The food started off ok, my two eat but the quality was not of the highest (fatty meat, bland and I too can put the food away!) and the show cooking (pizzas, crepes) soon disappeared after one day. The wasps were worryingly in abundance, how the staff served with numerous about beat me and you could not put a drink (sweet drink) down without wasps coming along!
Oh and kids disco at 9pm....bit late surely (there was nothing going on prior!)
I do make it sound a disaster and whilst I wont be hurrying back I can certainly see the potential there, the family erooms were certainly some of the best we have seen for space etc. I'd be concerned about the usual rush for food, sunbeds etc if the capacity was near full at anytime over the summer.
Roda, the village/town was only a brief stroll across a lovely beach nad whilst again very quiet looked like it could be quite vibrant over the summer.

harlow essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Started to close the hotel down after 4 days of our 14 day holiday , 5 star what a joke !!!! We complained to management but they just said its in the agreement so were uninterested that this was our holiday they were cutting short , no pool bar as staff were being cut down all the time so had to go to first floor in hotel to get drinks while being around the pool , staff talking about finishing and going home at the start of our 2 week holiday cause to be fair to them morale was so low they had had enough , so cut a long story short don't waste your money going to this 3 star at best hotel as they don't care about there guests !!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
St Helens, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed from the 29th July till the 11th August. The hotel reception looks lovely and the rooms were okay. The rooms are best described as Greek four star (European 3*) and are small, but clean. The TV has two English speaking channels, both news channels. The food at this hotel is okay but gets repetitive. To be fair the deserts are lovely. If you are an eat anything type or like kebab, pork, fish, chips and salad you will be okay.

Unfortunately the entertainment is the worst I have ever seen, it is shockingly bad. The AI drinks are a no name beer that tastes as if it is watered down and the spirits are all local spirits. If you prefer international brands, tough, they don't do them anywhere in the hotel complex, even if you would pay extra for them. All bars shut at 12 on the dot and there is nothing to do at that point other than go to bed, as there is nothing walk-able once it is dark.

The price they charge in the hotel for trips is almost double what they can be purchased for in Roda village opposite the Pirate Bar. But if you book the ones in the village security at the hotel wont let the coach into the hotel complex so you have to walk about 400m up the steepest entrance road I have ever seen. I struggled to get up it without being out of breath and I just recently completed a 54 mile charity walk over the west highland way so I am fairly fit.

Sunbeds around the main pool or the beach are nigh on impossible to get unless you get on one at or before 7am every day or as others did reserve them at silly oclock and then not sit on them till dinner time. They do not remove towels as they say they do. If anyone says this is not the case they are at best mistaken. You can get beds around some of the satellite pools although it is then a long walk to get any AI drinks and very quite (which we enjoyed to a degree).

Finally I would whole heartily agree with other reviews on here which state the staff are surly and down right rude. The blonde girl in the restaurant who takes you to your table (eventually) asks how many. When you tell her she walks off looking miserable as sin and flicks her fingers like an old school mistress without even speaking as if to say, come this way now! The bar staff argue with each other loudly all the time and grunt at customers. There are a couple of people who were pleasant noteably a guy called Vasilius (excuse my spelling) who was a nice bloke, the English guy who did the eggs at breakfast and the girl in the shop near the main pool. The others were just a disgrace and ruined my holiday until I learnt to totally ignore them. The worse of which was an old bloke on the bar who is about 4ft tall, another tubby small man on the downstairs bar and the dark haired girl at the beach bar.

Finally to give you an idea of the managements attitude I had an issue with the hotel spa the day before we left. They told us the manager wasn't available, we then say him come out of his office, get a bootle of whiskey from the bar and go back! The following day the manager promised to refund us as soon as we got home. I asked why he didn't refund us there and then. He just kept saying he couldn't...why I don't know. It eventually took us about 12 emails, continually asking for the money before it was refunded 5 weeks later.

So in summary until they do something about the management of this hotel and the moral/attitude of the staff I would stay well clear.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

spent a week at the hotel 12th to 20th october 2012, first time iv been abroad for over 30 years and had a fantastic time. the hotel was very clean and tidy and so was the pools. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were cleaned every day and the fridge was filled with drinks every other day. The food was great too, too much to choose from. Drinks and snacks were available all day from the pool bar and the beach bar. The nightly entertainment was good too to say that is was nearly out of season. The animation team did a great job. I would highly reccomend this hotel and would love to go back there

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mitsis Roda Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!