“Just average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lamai Wanta

Save Saved
You added Lamai Wanta to your Saves list
Lamai Wanta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   124/264 Moo 3 | Maret, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Ranked #15 of 43 hotels in Lamai Beach
Canada
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I booked this hotel because it got good ratings but I was very disappointed. If you are looking for a very budget , no frills hotel, you would like this. BUT if you want a bit of comfort and luxury forget it. A hospital room has more personality. There were no decorations or color in the room . It was like staying in an institution. I know you don't spend much time in your room but when you travel abroad you want to feel some local culture and atmostphere. (I found this in all the other hotels we stayed in.) I found things to be in desparate need of upgrading. The pool area chairs and umbrellas were in terrable shape.
The area has pole dancing bars and old men seeking young Thai women. Not suitable for families.
So if you don't want to spend any money on any frills, you will like this . But to me I didn't feel comfortable and could hardly wait to leave for my next destination and a hotel I deserved for my vacation money. Just my opinion...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Pattaya, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I just completed a stay at the Lamai Wanta January 30-February 6.

The hotel is in a perfect location in Lamai within walking distance of the nightlife area and restaurants but far enough away to not be bothered by noise. Free wifi.

I had a sea-view bungalow and I agree with a previous poster in that it doesn’t provide any privacy but the ocean view is very nice. I might take a garden-view bungalow next time, I’m not sure. I think the bungalows are a better choice than the regular rooms however. The bungalows are minimally furnished, not sure about the regular rooms.

Breakfast was good each morning with some variety. Service was friendly and attentive. I had lunch at the restaurant one day and it was good.

Overall, this hotel is a good choice for Lamai. It is perhaps a little overpriced but not too bad.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

we stayed here over christmas and had a lovely relaxing time.
room was clean and well kept.
perfect location right on the beach and near to lots of bars and restaurants.
lovely pool and the hotel staff were very helpful & friendly.
definately worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

If you are looking for an oasis in the madness of Lamai, this place is it. Perfect location on the beach and the pool is very nice. On the beach, literally. Some may say that it appears dated but I did not feel so. Initially, I was booked to stay in a Deluxe Room. On arrival the staff did their best to find me a quiet room as I had requested. The room was nice enough but on entering, I asked if they had any bungalows luckily they did. The room was dark, some may not be bothered about this, but I am. To cut a long story short, I upgraded to a Garden Bungalow for 800 THB a night. Good move, very happy I did that. The Sea View incidentally I felt were too near the pool and I would feel that they would not have been private enough.

The breakfast I thought was lacking on the first few days, there was no full buffet but they changed that a few days into my stay. The restaurant food is well priced for the location and good. Staff are friendly... Attended the Christmas Gala Dinner which was mandatory.
I am aware that many resorts require guests to attend these kind of events but I did not like paying for something basically I did not want to go to. The food was good and plenty of it. One thing I have noticed about Thailand in general is how the staff are too eager to clear things away sometimes. As a solo diner, I went to pick something up from the buffet, came back and my food was gone!!! That really made me angry as I was enjoying my dinner and that really put the brakes on for me. I complained strongly and it turned out that a new member of staff was on duty and had taken my food unknowingly. He, they apologized but honestly it really left me miffed. I left shortly... I still will remember that incident and it spoiled the dinner for me.

Had wi-fi issues and constantly had problems connecting for the first few days. Staff did their best to help and finally solved the problem. Finally, I decided to check out 7 days early as I did not like the street side of Lamai. It has become something close to Chaweng but not as heavy. The staff at the Lamai Wanta assisted me with my cancellation and contacted Agoda on my behalf. I tipped the receptionist for her help as she really did save me. After I switched to a place in Bohput which was more what I was looking for.

Would I stay at the Lamai Wanta again? "Yes" if it were not in Lamai! I will never go back to Lamai again. Some may like the way it is now, it used to be so much better, low key.
Depends what you are looking for...

Tip - Outside the restaurant there is a laundry lady, 30 Baht per KG, very honest and friendly. Do your laundry there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We spent 11 days at this resort and had a very enjoyable time. The rooms were a good size, clean and had a little terrace out front that you could sit on. The bathrooms were clean and had lots of hot water. Our room was air conditioned and included free unlimited wifi access. The staff was friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. The grounds of the resort are very nice with lots of plants and a lovely pool facing the beach. We enjoyed the extensive breakfast each morning (included in your room price), and also used the restaurant for many other meals. If we return to Koh Samui we will definitely stay here again. You might find nicer rooms in Koh Samui, but not for this price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We are still staying here as I write, it is Dec. 5, 2010

We came from the Weekender Hotel, 300m up the beach. See our review, also worth looking at, especially if you love a perfect pool

Wanta though has a much better value.

The setup:
Beautiful plants. One feels like walking through the jungle, when going to the room.
3 free DVD per Day. Very important, for it is raining now for 4 days for at least 5 hours a day...
Edgepool right at the beach. Nice, nothing special tough.
Beach is clean, not wide, water gets deep quickly.
Left and right of hotel are bars. They rent out jetskis... Might be noisy in season.
Hotel is quiet. Might pick up when season, for the hotel rooms are a bit towards the road in Lamai.
A nice 1 minute walk to the beach.

Book cottages and you are closer to the beach. Cottage 126 is closest to the beach with a beautiful view.

The rooms:
Very hot water available. No possibilty of boiling water yourself. TV and Fridge are there though. Free WiFi
Rooms are very clean. The staff is the best. They saw us having very small children so they folded a towel so it looked like an elefant. Our daughter was cold, so that wrapped her ín a towel thai-style (took us a while to figure it out) She refused to take the towel off for a few hours!

Very good value for the price.
Breakfast in low season is to be ordered and included. Good, but it never changes.

Hotel is right in the middle of things... Shopping, bars, restaurants. Best value restaurant: "Big Wave". McDonalds just around the corner, so is SUBWAY.

We prolongued our stay and will stay another 3-4 days.

Hotel is great for younger couples. Weekender Hotel is more for the mid 50s

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

Lamai Wanta was great - location & breakfast. Room was ok i.e. as per the photos on the website - the only thing lacking in the room is coffee/tea making facilities & an in-room phone. Guests can rent up to 3 DVDs at a time which is great when you're stuck in the room during the monsoon season, continuous rain & flooded roads. Do note that during low season the hotel doesn't run their buffet breakfast - instead they have a semi buffet (fruits & bread) and guests can order the rest from a preset breakfast menu. Each guest may put in multiple orders :). Also the path leading to the superior/deluxe rooms can be a little dark at night so look out for the steps. Live music from the neighbouring resort can be heard from this resort though...but the singer was pretty gd.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Lamai Wanta? Share your experiences!