“Not as expected sorry” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Republic The Residences

You added Beach Republic The Residences to your Saves list
Beach Republic The Residences
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176/34 Moo 4, Tambon Maret, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Not as expected sorry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Ill start this review by saying that we had high expectations based on the promising reviews. Our experiences overall did not live up to the reviews and I'm not sure how it gets the high ratings it does but based on our time there, we won't be returning.

We opted for one of the packages inc a five course dinner, fruits and flowers on arrival, welcome cold towel and drink at check in and a few other things. If you insist on staying here I would skip this and go for B and B only.

Check in was not impressive as the "lobby" is how one would expect a hostel lobby to be in Samui. A small room. We didn't not get the flowers or welcome drink or towels etc. either as per our package.

The resort I think is not too old but somehow it seemed run down to me on arrival. I thought that the expense and upkeep no doubt would be spent on the pool area but this is not the case.

There are two small pools and the loungers, while comfortable are all faded and look old. There is noticeable rust about and as someone else mentioned, broken or unsteady tiles about the pool in areas.

The beach to put it frankly, is gross and makes chaweng seem like paradise. There is a smell emanating from pipes there which makes you feel rather ill if you're in the wrong cross wind on the loungers and we noticed a pungent pipe leading out to sea which reminded me of the Erin brokervich movie with the stream with chemicals and so forth except -was this sewage? I think this is the culprate of the smell and must be attended to as it is so off putting.

The five course meal tries a little hard to be some kind of Michelin star food but falls massively short which is far more disappointing and confusing than if they just served a nice straight forward three course thai meal without the pretence.

The real issue was what we were presented with at desert which, for the chocolate fondant, turned out to be served up to me, a plate of raw, cold cake batter on a plate. My husband received a cheese cake which looked good and that's where it ended as one bite of it revealed it tasted of washing powder. As for my dessert- raw cake batter with eggs in it -really infuriated me as I am noticeably pregnant and this is simply dangerous to be serving such raw food up. Nonetheless I'd not even serve my friends this mess at a drunken dinner party so how this left the kitchen is beyond me. We left the food untouched and the waitress's response to our concerns was a nervouse giggle. - not acceptable. Needless to say, I felt rather uneasy all evening and we just felt we couldn't trust the food at the resort then on for freshness or quality. Earlier that morning I was also served completely raw eggs at breakfast with the egg white and all still gooey. A teenager could've figured out this was not cooked and would have done a better job so I had to send these back too. I am not sure there is any actual chef here rather than a bunch of willing young Thais trying their hand at cooking. While cooking omelettes etc doesn't require sous chef experience, I feel these people still need to be trained on what is acceptable to be sent out of the kitchen as there were issues we saw not just in our table.

We were there in low season but food often ran out and wasn't replaced- no bacon so had to wait for half hour to order eggs or just eat them separately and this kind of thing. One of the days was busy due to a wedding party which is when the place fell apart. No juices- no cups for the juice and so on. It just got boring in the end and I felt there was no point with the drama other than having some cereal.

As for the wedding we were told via newsletter that wedding night there was a wedding on. Lol gee thanks for letting us know after we watched the entire ceremony. Wouldn't it make sense to tell guests the day before so guests can go to lamai or something for dinner? A wedding means you can't eat at the hotel etc so you really need advanced warning - quite frankly before arriving at the hotel would be polite in case guests had strong objections to having to feel like they are encroaching on someone's wedding day.

I'm afraid I also echoe a previous reviewers thoughts on the spa and these issues have not been addressed. I was ushered into a room with two girls putting bits together while I stood in the dark confused about what was going on. I was then told to get on the bed and then the treatments started with no word about what the products were and what the process was. I expected to sit in the waiting area, to fill in forms and discuss any issues or concerns and then have the treatment as explained to me. None of this happened. No fault of the ladies who did the service but training must be given here. This is not a spa experience I'm afraid and felt rather unprofessional.

Overall the place is about a 2.5-3 star. The type of clientele who we observed there were also possibly more grateful than us -who knows but there were a lot of Russians and dare I say, a bit of a pool side chav atmosphere here with the types who went here and probably thought it was sheer luxury. This sound snobby I'm sure but just be prepared of you're expecting cool classy people- you won't be getting it.

They also give you little treats in the room at turn down which IS a nice touch but again guys, serving chocolate gloop in a shot glass (think an unset instant pudding or a ice chocolate that's too thick- not sure what that was supposed to be but essentially it wasn't edible and reminded us of the dessert debacle) and I just think sometimes, less is more. Better to to serve nothing than a Unidentifyable object.

Staff were very friendly but struggled with basic requests and there are a few ladies who seemed to stand about holding a clip board and smiling an adding zero value to the place than otherwise to confuse orders occasionally.

We didn't get a chance to discuss our concerns properly following the dinner as our server was away the following day and the next day was too preoccupied with the wedding so I was left to relay my concerns to a staff member and front desk when I left, although nothing was really offered other than an apology. Therefore we feel the right thing to do is to post our experiences and let people decide.

Please let me say on a positive note that the rooms are great. Spacious, clean and a big balcony so our first impressions where great but it all went down hill to the point we couldn't wait to get out of there.

BR tries hard but I think they all need some serious hospitality training to grasp what really matters. The food thing is key - I read another review where raw chicken was served to another guest. This can NOT happen in a resort. Too many food issues left us feeling like we were being served low quality food prepped by students but at resort prices and it is a shame.

BR tries to do what the W Hotel does but it falls far short Although obviously this is cheaper than the W chain. Rather than posting a defensive response, I do hope some of these issues are finally addressed ie- make the spa experience more professional, train staff to not serve raw eggs, and so forth.

• Stayed October 2013
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to come back to us with your comments, and obviously we are disappointed that you had some issues when you stayed. The vast majority of our guests are very satisfied.
Our reception is indeed compact, as many check-ins are done in-room, and you should have indeed received welcome drinks and towels - I will speak with the front office team to ensure this does not happen again.
The sun and laundry does fade the red lounge covers, which were only renewed at the start of high season a few months ago - we will probably go for a different colour which does not get affected so much with fading when we renew them.
Regarding the issues you had with the food, I can only apologise and will speak to the kitchen and wait staff and indeed the chef. Our spa treatments are normally very highly rated, but I will raise the points that you mention with the Spa manager.
With regards to the wedding event, we will as you suggest let guests know about upcoming events in advance - our daily newsletter is usually very informative about events both at the resort and elsewhere on the island.
I hope you will come back and try Beach Republic again and join the ranks of our enthusiastic fans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ko Samui, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

This is the first review I have ever written but I feel compelled to share my experience with others. Beach Republic is the perfect hotel if you're looking to have a romantic getaway, a chilled out holiday with friends or even a more upbeat vibe, it ticks all of the boxes. The facilities are incredible, the staff are brilliant and the food is a amazing. A unique feature of the hotel, is the hotel DJ that plays chilled out tunes as you look out onto the ocean or watch the sun set. The good thing about Samui is you're only ever 30 mins from anything on the island so it's a great place to base yourself too. It sounds like I work for the hotel but I don't, I had an amazing time there and wanted to let others know. Christina the relations manager is brilliant and will help you plan your trip through to the pool boys that make sure you have well fed and watered. Hope this has been useful to you!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grenoble, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We arrived at Koh Samui with no idea where we were going to stay and through blind luck we ended up at Beach Republic. The staff were all very friendly and at first we stayed in one of the rooms which were massive and so comfortable we couldnt believe our luck. Its a very modern building and its furnished very nicely. The bed was AMAZING. and the aircon and wifi worked wonderfully. Pool area and bar where awesome as well.
We wanted to extend our stay there and there was no rooms left available but only 1 villa which they offered at a discounted rate, and that place was just magnificent. You get your own private pool and a 2 story villa that had everything
Thouroughly enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Get a villa
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

First I'd like to start by thanking everyone member of staff @ BR!
From our 1st night too our last everyone was amazing! Yes BR is expensive but boy you know every penny is worth it. Fact!

The pool boys are wonderful, specially Lin, Sun, and Tury! Couldn't do enough for you. Thank you guys you really work very hard but always have a good vibe about you. Keep it up!

Claire the assistant manager was also amazing. No request was ever an issue. You truly are an asset to BR.

Christina the relations manager. OMG this girl is fluent in 5/6 languages and knows how to keep everyone smiling. Thank you for all the information you gave us. X

Dan the man! Blackstreet remix! Enough said mate! Wicked.

Now about the hotel: it's at the quite end of lamai beach which is perfect, you dont get hassled every 2 mins from people selling trash! The Dj plays chilled music from 12 everyday! The rooms are spacious, the bed is soooo soft! And the grounds are beautiful. The dbl beds on the beach front are fantastic! If there's one problem about BR I'd say it's the Sunday session, they need to work out what it is. Because they open the doors to everyone they allow family's with children kinda dominate the day. Yes I know it's all about money but if your going to promote Sunday sessions as a partying day then do what you say!!! We found it was more like letting your kids run about day. But that may have only been the couple of times we were there. That's my only gripe tbh.

So would I stay again. HELL YEAH
This place should be 5star!

Thanks again Beach Republic!

• Stayed November 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel right on the beach with excellent service.
Rooms are excellent couldn't fault them - large, really clean with everything you need.( even a bag of ice in the freezer) Comfy bed slept really well except for a couple of noisy neighbours but that wasn't the hotels fault.
Pool area is really good with large double bed loungers looking onto the beach- bliss. Waiters on hand all the time to bring you drinks and food.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful especially Christina and Robert. Even the ground staff are polite and friendly. Hotel went the extra mile in many ways- we got an upgraded room and free bubbly for our wedding anniversary.
Hotel is a short/walk or ride to the town. Shuttle bus provided but it doesn't go very often.
Disappointment for me was the food, restaurant and bar area. Breakfast is a cold buffet and individual order of hot items. I had to send my eggs back 3 mornings in a row as they weren't cooked properly. One morning my breakfast was cleared away while I was at the buffet! However, my husband ordered the hot Thai breakfast most days and it was excellent.
The food and drinks at the bar are double the price of outside and while I don't mind paying a little more in a hotel this was a bit much. The annoying thing is that everyone goes elsewhere so the bar and restaurant are empty so even if you do drink/eat there it's too quiet and has no atmosphere.
One night we ate the 5 course banquet meal which was just ok; my husband and I were asked to choose the same meal option for it, unfortunately we have different tastes so all the courses didn't suit both of us. There was only one other couple in the bar/restaurant.
The food overall in the hotel is ok but it just tries too hard- it's quite a fancy menu. When at the beach most folk aren't looking for fancy especially during the day. Sandwiches burgers and pizza are ideal at the pool. Loads of people including us ate lunch next door at the Starbay where the food was simple, cheap and really good.
The only other negative is the music at the pool. It's a step up from elevator music and becomes really annoying. A gorgeous setting lying listening to the ocean is ruined by the music which is on constantly. Even a break in the morning would have been nice. Some afternoons there is a DJ playing, his music was ok- not quite as annoying!
But for the food/bar and music I would have rated this hotel excellent in every area.
Would probably go back to this hotel would definitely if they changed the food/bar options.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were staying at another resort (Deva) and had popped into Beach Republic for a drink and some sunbathing. We instantly fell in love with the place. The music, the loungers, the food and the excellent service. We loved it so much, we canceled our booking with the other resort and booked a room with them. The service just got even better once we were a paying guest. Specifically, Sun looked after everything for us. Making sure that we got whatever we needed and providing recommendations on local bars to go to. Then there was the beautiful Cristina, the customer relationship manager, who help us book things in, followed up on everything she promised and was just an all round sweetie.

The breakfast was absolutely delicious, the tapas were just right and the cocktails were spot on.
Our room was absolutely spotless and they think of everything. Bottle water for free, laundry bags, free fresh fruit daily and a gorgeous little drink delivered to our door each day.

I used the gym and they provide towels and chilled water. There was a good treadmill, bike and weights. My favourite thing was that they provided a stereo with an aux input so I could blast my music (seeing I was working out by myself). The pool is gorgeous and clean.

We absolutely loved this place and loved coming back after a few nights on Ko Phangang. What makes this place special is the excellent service they give and the willingness to assist from everyone there. Noona in reception - you were awesome too. Thank you all, we will be back,

Room Tip: Book at reception, they will be able to give you a better deal than any of the online vendors!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Beach Republic The Residences? Share your experiences!