“Everybody must experience Renaissance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   208/1 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 50%
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Redwood City, California
“Everybody must experience Renaissance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

A very nice place to live in.
Pretty, relaxed, calm, close to nature.. but hi-end, punctual and very tourist friendly at the same time.
The staff goes beyond their required duties to help their guests and make their stay more pleasurable.
Location is a plus..esp the infinite pool.
The food also is mentionable. The taste and the presentation are very good.

Negative points : TV reception is very bad.
Also, it was difficult for me to understand the local accent which made phone conversations with the staff a daunting task.
The internet tariff was exorbitant.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed at the Koh Samui Resort for 4 nights and honestly the only good parts of the hotel were the staff at the restaurant and the location on the beach. Whenever I asked for room service the food would arrive to my room 1 hour later. Not that I mind that it takes an hour to deliver the food, but I do mind when my food is cold, and the ice in my cup is all practically water. My room was a decent size with a view to the garden and one of the pools. But you could tell there was rarely any maintenance done to the room because the floors were worn out and the sink was actually cracked. The thing that bothered me the most was that I had reserved for their New Year's Eve dinner, that included a dinner buffet, a traditional Thai Show, a fire show, fireworks, and a traditional Floating Candle Ceremony on the beach-all for 2,200 baht that is about $78 USD per person. First of all, there wasn't enough food provided for it to be considered a buffet. We (my family) were some of the first people to get food, but honestly about 30 minutes later all the food was almost gone and people were still arriving to the dinner but didn't get any food. Also it had rained earlier that day but it had stopped raining for the rest of the day, the party was scheduled to take place on the beach, but ended up taking place in a small reception room that seemed to only fit around 70 people comfortably, but it ended up having to fit over 120 people-it was SO crammed in the hall that I kept constant elbow contact with a person at the table next to us. Aside from that the "traditional" Thai show they had promised was composed of some of their own employees and the dances they performed looked as if they only had rehearsed 1 time. The dances were so bad that no one even clapped at the end of each performance. The fire show promised wasn't even good, the person performing kept on falling off of the rope and even looked intoxicated. At the end of the dinner I was asked to pay for my drinks, which I had no problem with, but it honestly took 1 hour- I tried going to the bathroom (which was right next to the reception hall) but I got chased down by the staff demanding me to pay. That is absolutely no way to treat a customer that is paying over $300 for a dinner that wasn't even good. The day I was scheduled to leave the hotel I left around 6am, when I arrived at the airport I realized that I had forgotten something in my room. I called the hotel and asked if they would be kind enough to bring it to me, but he responded by saying "Only if you are willing to pay me $50 USD to bring it to the airport." I had JUST paid $50 for hotel transportation to the airport and he STILL wanted me to pay another 50. I do understand that it is a business, but there is absolutely NO hospitality at this hotel. People are only kind to you if you give them a $10 to $20 tip for performing the simplest of tasks.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone if they are trying to have a relaxing vacation because all you will be worrying about is if the staff will provide you with the actual service you asked for.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
RenaissanceKohSamui, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Dear apple_green_10
Thank you for your stay at the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa and taking the time to write a review to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with our New Years Eve dinner and I am aware that our Lotus Room was not the ideal location for such an event. As you know, due to the fact that we experienced heavy rain in the afternoon we made the decision at some point to move the event inside, based on our experience with the sometimes unpredictable weather conditions here on the island. Finally it did not rain in the evening and we were able to finish the evening after the dinner at the beach with a cabaret show, the floating lanterns and the fireworks as initially scheduled. I think it was the right decision to have the dinner inside as the neighboring beaches of Chaweng and Bo Phut actually had rain showers during dinner time. I spoke to many guests during the evening and the following day to apologize for the inconvenience, but most guests seemed to have enjoyed the evening and appreciated our efforts of doing a second setup at the beach during the dinner time to be able to do the New Years Eve countdown outside. I also inspected the buffet several times during the dinner and of course food had to be replenished after all guests had their first serving, but we had sufficient food available to serve all our 77 guests dining with us on that evening.
In regards to the airport transfer, we unfortunately do not have our own cars and work together with an outside company which charges THB 900 (US$ 30) for a one way airport transfer, the same amount you have been charged. So after receiving your call about the forgotten item our only possibility was to book another car from the same company or a local taxi at around US$ 20 to go to the airport and deliver the item.
Thank you for sharing your comments about the room and the Room Service experience, we will review this and address internally. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations, please rest assured that we will make the necessary improvements wherever possible.

Best regards,

Lutz Mueller
berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

This is our third visit to the Renaissance in Koh Samui. This time we were booked in a pool villa for 12 wonderful days. We love this resort because it offers us a chance to unwind and relax in a beautiful setting. We spend out days reading, swimming and enjoying the private beach. We plan to return again next year.

Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

The hotel is absolutely breathtaking! The gardens and flowers are beyond belief. The staff are super friendly and are there for the guests completely. They are willing to fix any problem you may have.
We mostly ate in the hotel which was a perfect answer to our needs. One of the restaurants was a bit pricey, but we didn't want to chance eating out. Our room was kept clean and fresh fruit appeared
every morning.
The ambiance of the place is relaxing and soothing . The beachfront is secluded which we loved.
The pool service was a bit slow, but we understand that is being looked into. We highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Everyone at this resort was friendly, accommodating and took the time to make sure our experience was good. The food at the restaurants was excellent and we really enjoyed the theme nights such as Angus beef night and Thai curry night. The breakfast that was included exceeded our expectations and the coffee was really good - a definite benefit. Bring mosquito spray and wear it in the evenings. That helped a lot. We also bought the package where you could spend a certain amount and then get extra credit to use ex. spend 10,000 Thai Baht and get 5,000 extra in credit. We used that for the spa mostly. The spa was excellent and I definitely recommend the in-room bath. Enjoy your stay!

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

Hospitality of all staffs are very good. Quite suitable for recover. I bought their pre-paid voucher on May this year and it'll be expired on this December. I got a tricky when I make a reservation from them. Their reservation staff show me about unprofessional service. The date that I want to stay is available when I check on internet. At the same time I call to make a reservation, they told me that the room is fully book. Please beware of their promotion. They have a lot of trick when we make a reservation by prepaid voucher.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Excellent service, stuff very helpful and friendly, they were always there to serve, help out and make our stay smooth and beautiful, always with a big smile. Especially the concierge personnel were literally doing all necessary to make guests stay carefree.
The rooms were spacious and stylish. Typical furnishing of old time high class villa, with a modern touch.
Beautiful surroundings, very quiet, away from the hassle of the island busy life, but within walking distance to the main road. The beach was marvellous and you can actually walk to Lamai if you feel like making a long walk on the beach. The gardens and surrounding area is very well cared for but still very exotic.
We particularly enjoyed the spa. Excellent professionals do a magnificent job. The spa premises are very clean and the different private rooms add up for a royal treatment.
Another plus to the hotel is the Banana Leaf and the Tawann restaurants with the first having a variety of fresh fish and seafood to choose out of a huge basket and have them prepared the way you want almost every night a week and the second with an excellent international and Thai-fusion cuisine definitely one of the best on the island. They are both a bit pricey but for the quality of the dishes, area and service it’s certainly worth it!
If it wasn’t for the insect bites (which I’m afraid come with the territory, you can’t help it in a tropical climate) I would have believed that I haven’t actually been there, it’s been a dream. So get some insect repellent and gooooo!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!