“A phenomenal vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   208/1 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #7 of 43 hotels in Lamai Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“A phenomenal vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance for our first visit to Koh Samui. We re a young (newly married) couple and I have travelled extensively. Our 3-night stay was fantastic.

At check-in, the staff was courteous, helpful and welcoming. We arrived early in the morning and despite our room not being ready, the staff took us to the library to relax. We had a garden villa with a jacuzzi. The size, layout and cleanliness of the room was perfect. We enjoyed our private jacuzzi thoroughly.

I have enjoyed many buffet breakfasts across the globe and this buffet, I must say, has one of the best spreads and offerings. The cuisine imbues Thai elements which is important. We also ordered room service, ate by the pool and dined in the restaurant, and all meals were excellent.
We also visited the spa - definitely worth going to for the private steam room and (large) jacuzzi you enjoy before your treatment begins - unfortunately we didn't keep enough time for this. The spa is top notch and the massages are above satisfactory.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel and I am further inclined to target all my holiday stays to the Marriott Group of hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello Globetrotter0305 -

Greetings from Renaissance Koh Samui and thank you for sharing your holiday experience!

I am glad to hear that you loved your Pool Villa, our Quan Spa as well as the Beverage & Food offerings. We are expecially proud of our breakfast buffet which continues to evolve week by week - we've just added a "Bloody Mary" station to get the day started in style as well as a bread pudding custard which is simply delicious.

Please come back to visit us soon from Singapore to taste the newest flavors!

With best personal greetings from tropical Samui,

658 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 8-nights on our honeymoon. Everything was top notch. We stayed in a sea view deluxe room. The room was very nice with wood trim, a large balcony with a great view, and a comfortable bed.
Every morning that we didn't have plans, we took advantage of the 50-meter lap pool or gym, as well as breakfast at the Banana Leaf which had ample options catering to the many nationalities that visit. We spent much of our days lounging at the pool and beach sipping cocktails. The pool and private beach are pristine and relaxing. We really appreciated it after grabbing lunch at a beachfront resort on Chaweng where there's waverunners, pedlars, and a boat with speakers going back and forth advertising that night's boxing match. Although the sea is shallow along shore at Renaissance, they have complimentary kayaks to take out. A 10-minute ride out, there is actually some half way decent snorkeling if you and your partner don't mind taking turns hopping in.
The staff was amazing. Arranging for taxis, room service, local recommendations...they're there to help with a smile on their face.
Additionally, my wife and I received a couples massage. Despite the rates being way more expensive than nearby places, I could tell that the masseuses were a step above the rest and the setting was exceptional.
The couple negatives...The prices at the resort are high, but this is expected at any resort. We found a laundry service and restaurants down the street to avoid these costs. Also, we dined at TawaNN our final night. The atmosphere and service was great, but the dishes were too rich and my duck was overcooked.
If we find ourselves back on Koh Samui, we wouldn't think twice about where to stay.

Dear Jason7736 -

Greetings from Koh Samui! Thanks so much for sharing your honeymoon experience with the trip advisor community. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

In regards to your dining experience at tawaNN, you will be happy to hear that Chef Tor is revamping all of our menus as we speak, starting with Banana Leaf where the menu has just been launched and to be followed by the Pool Bar, Tapas and finally tawaNN. I hope that next time you are back you will be able to savor the new exciting taste with a view of Lamai bay.

Please let me know via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com if I may assist you with a future reservation.

All the best and greetings from Koh Samui,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. Upon arrival we realised that we actually arrived a day early (my error). The hotel staff were so helpful and attentive that they organised for us to stay at another top notch hotel in the area for the night until our room was available the next day (the hotel was fully booked at the time). Because it was our honeymoon, they upgraded us to their nicest suite without us even asking! This suite, called the Chomview, was stunning!!! Wrap around balconies, ocean view, and it was gigantic!!! So gorgeous we wished we could have stayed there the entire time. The beachfront is quite nice, but at the time there were a few families with young children which made it a bit noisier then we wanted. Thankfully there is a small private beach to the right of the hotel (around the rocks, walk towards the spa) that is idea for private time. The breakfast was consistently excellent every morning. The staff were always at their best, helping us at every turn and always smiling. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear mrslovinlife -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on the Renaissance.

I actually remember when you arrived and the room was not reserved for the first night, so I am happy that you still entirely enjoyed your stay.

Besides the quiet beach that you mention, we also have a quiet pool available which is a 50m lap pool in the upper part of the resort. Please let me know if you have the chance to come back to Koh Samui, I would love to share some other tranquil spots within the resort, such as the romantic swing, the hidden rock or our beachside dining sala.

Until then I remain with best regards from Thailand,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Although this resort hasn't been renovated in a while I believe it's in very good conditions. We had a Garden Villa with a private plunge pool on our terrace which was lovely. The villa was also very spacious.

The resort is set in a jungle type atmosphere not far from a private beach (which however is too shallow to swim). The infinity pool makes up for that! The 3 restaurants serve good food at reasonable prices (it's not as cheap as local Thai restaurants of course but about half the price of what Marriott charges in Europe or the US). The romantic dinner for two near the beach with a personal waiter and to see the sunset was fantastic!

The ride from the airport by shuttle upon arrival was about 20 minutes. To get around and visit Lamai town and Chawaeng beach you can rent a scooter or car directly at the hotel. We tried the scooter at 250 Baht per 24 hours and it was fun!

All in all great vacation there :-)

Room Tip: Go for the Garden or Beach Villas rather than the Deluxe rooms if you can pay the premium!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SKuenzel -

Greetings from the Renaissace Koh Samui! Thank you for sharing your memories about the getaway to our resort.

As a resort on a tropical island like Samui needs constant attention to keep the standard of rooms and faciliites in shape, all our rooms undergo a quarterly maintenance program and I am happy to read that you have noticed the work and passion our engineering and housekeeping teams put into the same.

Its also great to hear that you loved our food as well as the service from all ambassadors while staying in your Pool Villa.

Hoping to see welcome you again one day and sending my best regards,

Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I do not evaluate a property just by its appearence, which Renaissance excels at, but by the food and staff. Our food was wonderful, especially the steak night at the grille. The staff here was simply so accomodating and genuine. Laying on our own private beach, the ability to get a massage while there, the happy hour from 5-7pm, enabled my wife and I to just sit back and relax. We only spent 2.5 days here, but it made us to want to return soon. I cannot compliment enough how wonderful the staff is, from those serving the food, the bartenders, the drivers, etc. One can tell when the smile is truly genuine....and it always was. My only regret is that I didnt have enough time to have the tailor make me a fine suit!!

Room Tip: Stayed in a villa, and thrououghly enjoyed the ammenities and size of the room
Dear TommacDallas -

Hello to Bangalore! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Its great to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay in one of our Pool Villas.

Indeed, the special thing about our team of Ambassadors and Navigators (as we call ourselves) is that they are genuinely caring about our guest, helping you to completely unwind while discovering what is so special about Koh Samui: the culture, the food, the sights...

I am very happy everytime I read a review like yours as it makes me proud to be part of this team.

Thank you again and I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back one day.

With best regards,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was there for 5 days with family and although it has all the positives of a Marriott hotel, I just found it to be little bit over-priced. Since we have two small kids, we booked a 1200 sq ft one bedroom suite, which was not cheap (USD 400 per night with one king size bed). But since we also decided to take our helper, we had to pay another USD 75 per night for her bed/breakfast. Perhaps, those are the market rates in Koh Samui, I do not know. We did get another bed, without any charges, which another hotel would have charged for. Overall, good experience, and lots to do with the friendly staff especially at the daily breakfast, who ensured we got on to a great start everyday!!!

Room Tip: Great views from the suites but you are paying a lot for that!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bluecann -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for sharing the review about your stay with us!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the vista from one of our two sea view suites as well as the service form our resort team and will share your feedback with my colleagues.

Let me take the chance to outline the pricing for extra guests: Generally all our room and villa rates are valid for two adults and one child below 12 years. If the third person is an adult, THB 2000 are charged as supplement per night, this however includes breakfast and all other amenities and services.

Besides the charges, I hope that your stay has left you with many fond memories of your vacation and that we could welcome you back to the Renaissance sometime in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com and I would be happy to arrange the perfect room for your family.

With best personal regards,

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I rarely write reviews, but this property is fabulous. What left a lasting impression on us was the staff and their attention to detail and overwhelming friendliness.

This attitude all starts at the top from their amazing GM, Killian. His spirit transfers to the rest of the staff and turns a great property into a perfect property. Also thanks to Dan, Mr. Non and Woody as well.

Thanks for a great time and we will look to come back in the future.

P.S. Thanks for the upgrade, above and beyond the call of duty!

Room Tip: Try and get a Villa either Ocean or Garden. They are quite nice and spacious
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Brad M -

Greetings from Koh Samui! Thank you for your wonderful comment about your stay. I am truly humbled by your praise and will share it with our team, especially Dan, Non and Woody who all are true superstars.

It was wonderful to have you as our guests and thank you for all the interesting chats throughout your stay. Please pass my regards to your wife and son.

I hope that you had a great onward journey and that you will come back to visit one day.

With best personal regards,

Killian Donoghue.

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!